McKewon: Trying to bridge the gap on defense

Saunders

Good stuff from Nebula.

What it boils down to for me is this - if your scheme is only successful when you're pretty well stacked with NFL talent, and it struggles to epic proportions when you're young, then something has to be changed. Obviously, as our talent declined from 2009, the foundations slowly became less stable to the point where it's pretty much collapsed now. The talent was obviously less impactful, but was our talent as bed as multiple blowout losses and the hundreds of yards given up dating back to last year's title game? I don't think it was.

I believe our inexperience really hurts, but it shouldn't be hurting us THIS bad. I believe our lack of talent the last couple of years hurts, but again, it shouldn't be hurting us THIS bad. And if it's a matter of getting better talent in here, think about what our potential recruits from across the country see - blowout defeats on national TV. That doesn't exactly spur a commit. It only makes the hill more difficult time.

The common theme from coaches is a lack of execution and missed assignments, and an inability to carry over what's done in practice to gameday. So, they have to find a way to get these guys playing within their means. Great coaches constantly adapt what they're doing to fit the team - find what they're good at and find what they're not good at, and then do the things you can do well.

I'm not accusing Pelini of failing to make adjustments, because I think they're being made, but just aren't transitioning to the field. He's got to find out why, as he well knows.