Do fans really love the high scoring games?

BIG ERN

Living in New Zealand, I watch rugby all the time. Never understood it (or liked it) until I got here and learned the game. It is fun to watch when you know what's going on.

That said...no helmets...no pads...no leading with the head, no worries about guys trying to take out knees.

I hate to say it, but the rugby-style of play may be what has to save American football.

I caught an All Blacks game in Aukland once and couldn't believe how much ballsier it was than American football. Guy gets popped, writhing around in pain, and the game just keeps going non-stop around him.

For that matter, Cricket looked a lot more dangerous than baseball.

Love those All Blacks jerseys. Gotta get me one.

I put this in the SJB thread this morning:

"I honestly think if we want to end head injuries and the stupid "targeting" rule, we need to go back to different helmets. And also making blocking like it was before the late eighties, no hands, just pushing with forearms.

Along with that, allow the DBs to once again use their hands more, especially on the line of scrimmage.

If a guy has a plastic helmet and only one bar across the face, we won't spear. If the lineman can't hold and it's more of a "push" block the head on head collisions would be less. If the defense were allowed to actually play defense instead of just trailing the offense around the field, it would slow down some of the one on one tackling in space which leads to such big hits. There used to be way more wrap up tackles around the legs and waist before all the offensive advantage rules and hard plastic helmets.

I'm not talking about a return to the 1920s. Just a more sensible approach to WHY the game has gotten so fast and violent. Because of every damn rule that allows the offense such an advantage, it leaves the defensive player in a no win tackling situation, a la SJB.

Of course, what Id really go for is ending all this bullsh#t rules and just let em play. It's ruining football."

But to answer the question, I'm not crazy about huge high scoring games. A blowout is one thing, but when teams aren't allowed to play defense and get arbitrary penalties called againt them it's taking the joy out of scoring. The officiating has taken the game out of the players hands and put into their own, hence offenses can do anything, including scoring 50-60 points every week, even when they lose.

A final note on the pads: go back and look at the tapes from the even the late 90s! Look how HUGE the shoulder pads were. The thigh pads. The neck rolls. LOL, grant Wistrom looks like he weighs 310 lbs and the DBs shoulder pads actually cover their shoulders. Hell my son is 8 yrs old in his first year at tackle football. Their pads are so sweet and form fitting and Dri Fit Tech. I think we need to think about player safety by enforcing some padding rules and stuff that are already on the books.

But of course we could just man up and let them play some damn ball, or if they don't want to, then don't PLAY.

I hate track meet games where both teams go over upper 30's. Play at least a modicum of defense or gtfo the field. I also dislike games below 10-14 range although sometimes a defensive battle can be fun. Games from the upper teens to mid 30's is where it's at. Example- Game of the Century 35-31, perfect. Of course these are all considering both teams are in the contest. I'll take a Husker blowout win any day.

And weirdly, I can watch a 0-0/1-0 hockey game all day long.