Officiating

All the Michigan fans are complaining about the officiating. Even the ESPN commentators were getting into it. Personally, I saw good and bad calls go both ways, but I think Nebraska benefitted the most. Most notably, the pass interference that wasn't called on Zach Bowman, and the fact that Carr had to use two timeouts to get plays reviewed. Of course, you had that terrible call go against us on the coverage of the punt. But, then again, Cory Ross sure looked like he fumbled the ball on that early drive in the first quarter. Anyway, I hope Michigan fans don't dwell on the officiating..because it was a great game, played hard by both teams.

By my count the calls went in our favor by the score of about 5-2. However, as the announcers said, UM had the chance to put us away and didn't do it, and as I remember, there weren't any questionable calls in the last quarter, but I've been drinking :thumbs . If you want to count the last play of the game, there were UM players and coaches on the field too, so if there were to be a penalty it would have been offsetting and replay the down. Great Job Big Red.

Controversial calls should be expected by now.

They've happened to every team.

This game could have been won by either team - it was a solid, close matchup. One team won, the other didn't. This is the way that has not changed, nor ever will (with exception to ties, of course).

Basically...... If MU won the game, NU supporters would be able to say just as much. (personally, as far as those time outs MU took to try to get an instant replay in their favor.... that's your own risk. It would be very hard for me to even consider doing such a thing, if I were coaching. Play on, and have faith in your team.)

And lastly.... it's over now. I really hope that poor officiating doesn't take away from the win. It was a game for the history books.

Controversial calls should be expected by now.

They've happened to every team.

This game could have been won by either team - it was a solid, close matchup. One team won, the other didn't. This is the way that has not changed, nor ever will (with exception to ties, of course).

Basically...... If MU won the game, NU supporters would be able to say just as much. (personally, as far as those time outs MU took to try to get an instant replay in their favor.... that's your own risk. It would be very hard for me to even consider doing such a thing, if I were coaching. Play on, and have faith in your team.)

And lastly.... it's over now. I really hope that poor officiating doesn't take away from the win. It was a game for the history books.

Now finally we are the victor of sh**ty calls! :clap

Most notably, the pass interference that wasn't called on Zach Bowman

or, as the commentators mentioned, the non-call on an offensive pass interference on a 3rd down on one of Michigans TD drives. there was also a PI call earlier in the game against NU that was, again to quote the commentators in "the grey area" of pass interference.

and the fact that Carr had to use two timeouts to get plays reviewed

no excuse for those! this crew obviously didn't know much about replay, which figures since there's no replay in the Sunbelt Conf.

to their credit, at least this crew knew holding was an actual penalty though, unlike Big XII refs.

you had that terrible call go against us on the coverage of the punt

also no excuse. it seemed obvious that by the no-call on the second Shanle tackle, that the refs knew they had screwed up the almost mirrored first one.

Cory Ross sure looked like he fumbled the ball on that early drive in the first quarter

moot point considering he recovered the ball anyway.

I like how the refs called that kick catch interference against Shanle (which resulted in a 15 yard penalty and possibly provided a boost for the UM score to follow), yet the next kickoff they don't call it on what was almost an exact same tackle.

I guess Bill had to explain the rules to the refs; they surely wouldn't call it twice in a row. :dumdum

Time to design a new smiley. Damn I love this team! :power:restore2

BTW, who decided it would be a good idea to take officials out of a conference like the Sun Belt and have them run a game with two teams from the Big 12. They looked lost at times.

Sorry DaveH, but Michigan is in the Big 10, not the Big 12.

Anyway I live in Michigan but went to Nebraska and consider myself a Husker trapped behind enemy lines. A lot of UM fans are taking the loss in stride and being classy about it. Others have the attitude as expressed in this e-mail excerpt from my wife about one of her coworkers comments:

"Oh, and she says that Michigan did NOT go on the field before the final play was completed. She said that the officials helped Neb. win. WHATEVER!"

I'll be hearing this for the next 8 years, just like the crying over the 1997 shared championship title :wacko:

it is amazing that the losing team's fans are quick to point out bad calls and how that help the other team win ect.

did these refs suck? yes

did they miss calls? yes

did these refs suck for BOTH teams? yes

yes we will listen to this for the next few years.

both teams played a hard, clean, well fought game.

congrats to both.

GBR

The last play when Mich. was down by the endzone and Bowman grabbed the WR shirt was a clos to call. The ref was damned. There was no right call. If he doesn't call the interference, Mich fans cry foul ( and rightfully so). But on the other hand, if the ref calls the "weak" interference NU fans scream "let them play" or "you can't call that now"

The last play when Mich. was down by the endzone and Bowman grabbed the WR shirt was a clos to call. The ref was damned. There was no right call. If he doesn't call the interference, Mich fans cry foul ( and rightfully so). But on the other hand, if the ref calls the "weak" interference NU fans scream "let them play" or "you can't call that now"

Another point - from watching the replays, it didn't appear that the left arm cause the Michigan receiver to miss the pass - the play was decided by the right arm knocking the ball away before it got to the receiver. In basketball terms, it didn't affect the play at all.