2 by weeks in 4 weeks

I know I'm grasping at straws here but it's literally because I am so dumbfounded by the game this weekend that I honestly can't figure it out.

I was able to watch the first quarter (basically) of the game then had to go to a HS volleyball tournament and watched the game cast on espn.com.

Sunday morning I get up and start reading various things about the game and I read tweets from players claiming they weren't surprised at their performance because they had a bad week of practice. In fact, Quincy claimed Beck took him aside and specifically talked to him about it during the week.

So...I have a WTF feeling about this. How in the hell does a team come off of TWO weeks of practice and get manhandled by Minnesota?

Then, I remembered something that I read by an ex player (possibly Benning but I don't remember) about a month ago claiming that actually the two by weeks close together is not what you want with a young team. You want them to get into a rhythm and get out there and bang heads and win games.

So, was the off week actually a detriment to this team? This question doesn't take away from any disgust in coaching...etc that I might have. However, It boggles my mind that a team can come off of a by week and play like this.

Is the by week and young defense a BAD combination at this point in the season? They were playing well before the by week but after then totally laid an egg.

This game was pathetic all the way from the HC to the water boy. Totally inexcusable.