The Buckeye game definitely took backseat to the halftime this week

I live in Columbus.

The media coverage locally was starting to get annoying. That being said this band director has gotten unbelievable support from the Buckeye fanbase while this has been going down.

Had he not responded to the sexual assault the way he did, I would be all for his firing. But that guy is no longer a student, the midnight ramp no longer exists, and the nicknames were going away. This was all before his firing, so I really have no idea why he got fired other than to make an example.

I am just now seeing this. Read the Deadspin article, the list of 'tricks' and the list of nicknames.

Basically, if this is all "too much," then every fraternity in America needs to be shut down. Every guy in my house had a nickname, and every single one had a sexual connotation. This kind of stuff basically goes along with that age group.

• Fire 1
The family says they also reported the alleged crime to then-OSU Marching Band Director Jon Waters. The mother believes Waters investigated the allegations, and within three days, turned it over to the University.
According to an OSU student conduct hearing report obtained by ABC 6 Investigators, the young man was permanently expelled from OSU on October 12th.

And they fired the band director? You can't tell me that everyone anyone in the tOSU administration has ignorant of the band hijinks for years. Sounds like they just needed a scapegoat for the whole deal.

I was in the band at Nebraska, and everything, everything, revolves around sex and alcohol. The band director is not in charge of parties or socializing, and unless he promoted this behavior or looked the other way when serious incidents were brought forward, the director is not responsible.

I would say that the director is responsible for encouraging an atmosphere of maturity, responsibility, and positive camaraderie however possible with college age kids, but the stuff in this report mostly goes on everywhere. That doesn't mean harassment should be tolerated, but the director can only do so much.

The worst thing was probably the negative PR when this info came out, and the school had to make a quick decision. Ohio State's band is well known and well respected. Our old band director at NU used to say you could work for years to build a positive reputation, but only one misstep could ruin it all. Of course, that same director got arrested and convicted for soliciting sex with children.