Detroit

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2014/jun/05/police-homeowner-shoots-man-knocking-wrong-door/

A man who accidentally banged on the door of a stranger’s house early this morning was shot by the homeowner, Metro Police said.

The victim had been at a birthday party at a nearby house in the 9200 block of Wittig Avenue, near Fort Apache and Elkhorn roads, Metro Lt. Ted Glaude said. He and a friend left briefly, and when they tried returning about 2 a.m., they confused the two houses and knocked on the wrong door, police said.

Not Detroit.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Shooting-Drunk-Man-Eastlake-Home-Chula-Vista-San-Diego-Rutgers-Avenue--257859801.html

When a man tried to enter an Chula Vista home Saturday night, the homeowner opened fire, shooting and injuring him. Now, officials say the victim was intoxicated and thought the stranger’s home was his own.

Not Detroit.

• 1 year later...

Hey....let's all go to the Detroit area and sit down and have a nice tall glass of ice water and discuss things.

LINK

FYI... Flint is not Detroit. It's an hour north of the D and just outside the Metro. I have not been there, but from what I hear it's been a hot mess of it's own even before this water issue.

Hey....let's all go to the Detroit area and sit down and have a nice tall glass of ice water and discuss things.

LINK

FYI... Flint is not Detroit. It's an hour north of the D and just outside the Metro. I have not been there, but from what I hear it's been a hot mess of it's own even before this water issue.

I know. I've spent quite a bit of time in the area.

Just pointing out how it's not just the Detroit Metro area that is a total mess around there.

• Fire 1

LINK

I know. I've spent quite a bit of time in the area.

Just pointing out how it's not just the Detroit Metro area that is a total mess around there.

Oh, no doubt! If the areas in question here in MI don't have a lot of tourist attractions they are still hurting. I don't think the average person outside the auto indusrty or geographical area understands just how many people are impacted by the auto industry as a whole (not just the big 3 but foreign OEMs as well). And political incompetence compounds all the issues.

Pittsburg rebounded from the closing of steel plants maybe Detroit can do the same - one can only hope.

I think the City of Detroit is bouncing back pretty well. It's a pretty vibrant place at the moment despite the burned down blocks and abandoned warehouses. They had a $30 million surplus last year I believe. That being said, the auto industry props up a massive amount of the state of Michigan. So any falter in the indusrty affects a massive amount of people. There are plants all over the state that deal with almost every OEM, foreign and domestic. They spread into Ohio and Canada as well.

In my job I deal with people on the east, west and southern extremes of the lower Peninsula every single day. That's only for the design and manufacturing of interior products not final assembly or any other vehicle components. My roommate's company basically keeps small town businesses alive in the upper Peninsula during winter vehicle testing. So the ripple was pretty massive.

It's been a while since I have been there. I'm a little surprised at your comment about the city bouncing back pretty well and actually turning a surplus. That's good news. Not sure how it's possible though.

I did find this article on line.

LINK

While reading it, it seemed like they were trying to make it sound like great progress has happened. But, to me it sounds like it's just simply due to the bankruptcy allowing them to not make certain payments and those payments will come due eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I have been there. I'm a little surprised at your comment about the city bouncing back pretty well and actually turning a surplus. That's good news. Not sure how it's possible though.

I did find this article on line.

LINK

While reading it, it seemed like they were trying to make it sound like great progress has happened. But, to me it sounds like it's just simply due to the bankruptcy allowing them to not make certain payments and those payments will come due eventually.

Your thoughts are probably right on point. They have pensions and other bills coming due in the mext few years, and I doubt they will have enough to cover them all.

That being said there is a lot of development going on around downtown Detroit. Michigan Central station finally has windows throughout and appears to be under renovation (we'll see if that pans out for once), there are some very nice condos just out side of downtown to the north of I-75 neard Woodward, I know of an old bank that was renovated into some very nice and affordable condos, and a new arena will be built to replace Joe Louis. So... it would appear, at least to the casual observer, that there is a good deal of investment going on in the city