Scott Shanle break down Huddle Pass article

MLB 51

Scott Shanle. It must be relevant.

Actually, it is. It's break down of a Minnesota running play, and how Defense reacted.

Sorry. I think it was Andrew that posted this.

It's excellent. There are articles about the Minny game from other former Husker LBs, and they are each saying similar things. These articles all correlate with the moves Pelini is making at the LB spot to get the run defense in better shape. I know this is an internet message board, but it's great to have the insight of the former players who know alignments and schemes, and the busts that are happening.

Very good article. The only thing I (slightly) disagree with is a little bit of terminology and that it was a "called" blitz. We were in our nickel package so it was actually Ciante Evans from the Nickel spot that came on the blitz, although I don't think it was blitz that happened to be "called" on that play but rather an automatic when we say jet motion. Not a big deal. Also, it was Gerry at the Buck (strong) LB spot that he is talking about not filling correctly and forcing it back inside to the MIKE (Santos) but that's basically splitting hairs.

Anyway, I agree that Gerry should have filled to the outside shoulder of the TE to turn the play back inside. However, Santos is so slow reacting that I'm not sure it would have made a difference on this particular play. Santos hadn't moved from his initial position until the ball carrier was 5-6 yards outside him despite that all the action was flowing to his left. This has been a consistent pattern with Santos all year - hesitating too much on zone-read-type plays such that he can't make the play on either potential ball carrier. I wasn't sure if it was how it was coached or not but with Shanle pointing out that the DE in closing down to force the play outside, the only logical play for Santos is to be filling hard outside the DE which he hasn't been doing.

Gave a good reply to a good question asked about how or what to fix.

Good replies to good questions, hmm....haven't seen that in awhile around here. You mean someone actually addressing a problem with legitimate way to fix it. Haven't heard that from a coach around here in a long long time. Seems like the "how" is the issue around here. We have all seen the what.