Characteristics of an Elite Program?

It's pretty basic stuff. It's not like we're talking chemistry or physics here.

You really don't know?

what?

you aren't impressed with them beating "Physicians and Surgeons"(whatever the hell that is) 72-0 in 1904?

how about beating "American Medical" by the exact same score later in that season?

Hey! American Medical was pretty good that year! I think they had Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman on the roster!

I still want another shot at Indiana Artillery. The criteria we have on the Irish boards is that an Elite program is always one good coaching hire away from being a national championship contender. So a school like UGA is elite even if they haven't hit that right man for a long time.

Everyone's elite when they are winning. A true test is what happens when the team is losing or underperforming. Is the stadium still full? Are they still pulling in a ranked recruiting class?

So you would consider Michigan not an elite program?

You're making this painful but Michigan is a perfect example. They always have top 25 recruiting classes even in the darkest years of RichRod. The Big House draws a crowd, a big crowd for certain opponents. EDIT A big exception to my rule is Southern Cal because the Coliseum is empty when they aren't in the title hunt. I give them a pass because fairweather fandom is part of their identity.

New characteristic of an elite team. Have a National Championship Trophy named after your former coach. BRASKA!

Elite individual. Elite man. He just brought it out of everyone else. None better and it is so awesome that he was honored with that Championship Trophy named after him.

Damn skippy, great honor for a great man.

Everyone's elite when they are winning. A true test is what happens when the team is losing or underperforming. Is the stadium still full? Are they still pulling in a ranked recruiting class?

You're making this painful but Michigan is a perfect example. They always have top 25 recruiting classes even in the darkest years of RichRod. The Big House draws a crowd, a big crowd for certain opponents. EDIT A big exception to my rule is Southern Cal because the Coliseum is empty when they aren't in the title hunt. I give them a pass because fairweather fandom is part of their identity.

Michigan fans did not show up during the Rich Rod years, which is exactly why I asked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E5gPKBD_tM

You can say the same about Miami too. Some cities have more to do than go to a college football game. But you would think that it would be at least close to being filled up with the amount of people that live in the area. That is where the fairweather part comes in.