Tommy's picks-Are they as bad as they look?

Shuck U

They are absolutely due to bad reads.

How many times over his last two games, not even looking at the interceptions, has he thrown the ball where there wasn't a receiver to be found?

Doesn't Beck have some spot throws? Might be miscommunication based off that. But yeah, dude is definitely making Q jump up in double coverage more than he should.

Tommy tries forcing a ton of throws still.

And yes I believe, as True said, some of those are due to TA having his mind set presnap of whom he it's throwing it to. He'll learn that kid catching his check downs is pretty damned good with the ball in his hands. And he'll learn as Taylor did, that second and third reads can be the best decision five yards down the field

According to Mike Welch on 93.7 the ticket here in Lincoln it is mostly misread coverages which he says is easier to correct than just bad decision making.

FWIW, Mike Welch once went on a rant for 15 minutes about how Alabama is a school without football tradition

Just throwin that out there.

Does this positive vs, negative line in post 9 work towards Taylor as well True?????

It sure doesn't seem that way. I guess when Taylor is making the same mistakes as a junior and senior that he was making as a freshman then I would say that's where you might run into some negativity towards either guy. Even though the sample size of Taylor's senior season has been very small. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if TA is making these same mistakes as a junior and senior I think you can bet your ass people will be saying things very similar about him as what they are saying about TM now. Much like the current situation. Patience and willingness to accept TA's mistakes seems to be a popular mood becuase he does some really damn fun to watch things on the positive side. His cannon of an arm and even moreso the option. Kind of like the mood surrounding a young freshman I seem to remember not so long ago. Yes, his passing game was kind of weak, he fumbled and threw some pics once in awhile but man oh man, the kid ran the zone read like a wizard and if he got a running lane, HE WAS GONE!

According to Mike Welch on 93.7 the ticket here in Lincoln it is mostly misread coverages which he says is easier to correct than just bad decision making.

FWIW, Mike Welch once went on a rant for 15 minutes about how Alabama is a school without football tradition

Yeah. He's been an.... interesting addition to local sports radio. Not sure I like the addition yet, but I listen to him most every night on the way home.

As far as Tommy's interceptions go, there's just no way to gloss over most of them. They're utterly bad throws, and they're mostly entirely on him.

BUT - and this is a Vida Guerra sized "but" - this is, presumably, Tommy Armstrong at his worst. He's a redshirt freshman starting in the middle of the season. He's going to make mistakes, and that's what we're seeing.

Frankly, if this is Tommy Armstrong's "basement," I'm damned excited to see what he turns into when he's not making these kinds of mistakes. Because at his (presumably) worst, he's awfully exciting running the football.

If this kid gets better in the next year, and the next year, and the next year.... God help the Big Ten.

I'd be fine with Tommy just being serviceable throwing the ball, because him running the option is a thing of beauty.

Until Beck decides that the option just works too gosh darn well midway through the 2nd quarter and it's never seen again, at least

I only remember the ones from this past game, and I don't think they were miscommunications. Just bad reads. Twice he had scrambled around in the pocket, then made a throw that was no longer there. Bad decision. The third time he didn't anticipate a DE dropping into coverage.

There's a big difference between that and a bad throw.

As for to what extent Tommy can clean that up this year, I don't know and I don't think we can have any idea. The extent to which they've already occurred isn't great, but it's also not too concerning. Misreading coverages is probably the most typical QB mistake and it's also the best one to have, if you're going to pick your poison...since it's all Tommy has to worry about fixing.

Mike Welch also knew nothing about the Huskers before he came here... He is a Kansas City sports guy.

Mike Welch also knew nothing about the Huskers before he came here... He is a Kansas City sports guy.

Yep. I remember when he first started and couldn't pronounce Enunwa's name, not even close...

Does this positive vs, negative line in post 9 work towards Taylor as well True?????

It sure doesn't seem that way. I guess when Taylor is making the same mistakes as a junior and senior that he was making as a freshman then I would say that's where you might run into some negativity towards either guy. Even though the sample size of Taylor's senior season has been very small. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if TA is making these same mistakes as a junior and senior I think you can bet your ass people will be saying things very similar about him as what they are saying about TM now. Much like the current situation. Patience and willingness to accept TA's mistakes seems to be a popular mood becuase he does some really damn fun to watch things on the positive side. His cannon of an arm and even moreso the option. Kind of like the mood surrounding a young freshman I seem to remember not so long ago. Yes, his passing game was kind of weak, he fumbled and threw some pics once in awhile but man oh man, the kid ran the zone read like a wizard and if he got a running lane, HE WAS GONE!

Not going to derail this thread, but your sentence j ust caught my attention as this is almost prevailing thought for most on the TA wagon. There wasn't as much of that sentiment when Taylor was younger. Just funny in my eyes.

As for the TA talk, as I said earlier he is making some really bad choices. His second ick I believe was thrown into four defenders.A pick in three Purdue game (to ameer on a wheel route ) was into doublecoverage. There had also been numerous occasions where his arm strength barely got the ball to receiver as the defender was jumping the route. Again a thing Taylor did when young was predetermining where he was throwing in the huddle, this is something TA appears to be doing as well

See Crewe we agree about everything you said except that part about there not being that sentiment when Taylor was younger. I disagree. Matter of fact, not only was/is he beloved by many many Husker fans but his freshman and sophomore years I believe he was discussed nationally in the Heisman race. I actually remember exactly how nuts people went about his speed. He made Washington and Kansas State shart their purple panties with his speed.

I won't derail this thread either, but TM has/has gotten massive respect not only from this fan base, but also nationally for a good portion of his career. He was far more successful in his initial games an TA has been as well if I remember correctly. The love affair with TM has been long lived. His senior year was supposed to be golden, sadly his injuries have taken that away from him.

• Fire 1

See Crewe we agree about everything you said except that part about there not being that sentiment when Taylor was younger. I disagree. Matter of fact, not only was/is he beloved by many many Husker fans but his freshman and sophomore years I believe he was discussed nationally in the Heisman race. I actually remember exactly how nuts people went about his speed. He made Washington and Kansas State shart their purple panties with his speed.

I won't derail this thread either, but TM has/has gotten massive respect not only from this fan base, but also nationally for a good portion of his career. He was far more successful in his initial games an TA has been as well if I remember correctly. The love affair with TM has been long lived. His senior year was supposed to be golden, sadly his injuries have taken that away from him.

Well said. It is terribly sad and I'm sure this plagues the staff as well, they have been together most of their careers. I do hope Taylor has a great career after he earns his degree.