Tommy's picks-Are they as bad as they look?

Shuck U

Tommy throws Very well on the run though. Weren't a couple of those picks deflected up in the air?

Not in the NW game.

Actually two of his picks in the NW game were tipped. The one on third and long was tipped (still a bad throw but I could live with it) and his last one I believe the blitzer tipped it right out of his hand or hit his hand while he was throwing it.

When your run game is working from the get go, you continue to pound it until they start to stop it. I dont care what the circumstances are or what looks youre getting. It's stupid to get cute on a whim. If/When they finally do begin to stop when it was working well to begin with, it'd be obvious it's due to anticipation and crowding the line. THAT'S when you bring in the play action and take some shots to get 'em to back off. You dont go away from the run when it's working to try to keep 'em off. You wait until they make the changes to corral it. This is basic football and has been since the beginning of time. It's one thing about Beck I just dont understand why we find the need to just randomly go all Peyton Manning on somebodies ass. Basic football. Do it till they stop it. Then do something else to counter.

• Fire 1

When your run game is working from the get go, you continue to pound it until they start to stop it. I dont care what the circumstances are or what looks youre getting. It's stupid to get cute on a whim. If/When they finally do begin to stop when it was working well to begin with, it'd be obvious it's due to anticipation and crowding the line. THAT'S when you bring in the play action and take some shots to get 'em to back off. You dont go away from the run when it's working to try to keep 'em off. You wait until they make the changes to corral it. This is basic football and has been since the beginning of time. It's one thing about Beck I just dont understand why we find the need to just randomly go all Peyton Manning on somebodies ass. Basic football. Do it till they stop it. Then do something else to counter.

Are you a wizard? But in all seriousness, it's so frustrating to watch a game and see Beck call 3 passing plays in a row when Ameer/Imani/Newby carried them down the field.

• Fire 1

There is a little of (miss reads) as well as forced throws by TA.

Like Knapp said above, if he gets it all together, he will be difficult for others to deal with. On a positive note, how about that fake pitch and run he had. Defenders shoes are still on the field.

There is a little of (miss reads) as well as forced throws by TA.

Like Knapp said above, if he gets it all together, he will be difficult for others to deal with. On a positive note, how about that fake pitch and run he had. Defenders shoes are still on the field.

I just think Beck needs to be running the option-pitch more often when Tommy is in the game....

It's his strong suite and he executes it verrrry verrry well.

Tommy has an uncanny ability to break his own ankles, it is fascinating.

it is truly amazing. not trying to bad on the kid but i've seen it at least twice where he is one on one in the open field and he basically tackles himself. Hopefully, he gets a little more shifty and starts turning those into long runs.

Well....I saw plenty of times on Saturday where HE WAS the ONE BREAKING ankles.......

I think he is healing up nicely from his knee scope....from what it seems.

IMO to sum up TA, the first two games SDS and Illinois, he basically only threw passes to the right side. Against Purdue, Purdue had just went through a major defensive overhaul, switching to a 3-4 defense. i was not surprised that he made some mistakes because i'm sure he nor the coaches really knew what Purdue was going to show because they making major changes.

As for Northwestern, it looked to much to me like a freshman trying to do a little too much. the last pick could happen to any QB that wasn't ready for a D -lineman to drop and plus he was being pressured. his second pick was the worst, he should have just thrown it out of bounds.

Honestly, for me, it wasn't the picks that bothered me as much it was a couple of the other throws. the downfield passing looked BAD. the only ball that had chance was the one to Enunwa (which if Enunwa sticks his arms out to catch, we probably get the PI call). there was another 3rd down pass that looked like a touch pass to Burtch that was off by 10 yards.

My guess is that TA is a work in progress and that we need to stick to what does well in handing off to abdullah and running the option.

Everyone talking about Tommy tackling himself needs to remember that he had his knee scoped in August. He's healthy enough to start, but he's not 100%.

Give him a year with clean ligaments in his knees and see how many ankles he breaks. Just can't stress enough that if this is this guy at his worst he's going to be really good at his best. Patience.

Everyone talking about Tommy tackling himself needs to remember that he had his knee scoped in August. He's healthy enough to start, but he's not 100%.

Give him a year with clean ligaments in his knees and see how many ankles he breaks. Just can't stress enough that if this is this guy at his worst he's going to be really good at his best. Patience.

But we can't start a QB unless his is 100%!!!!

• Fire 1

Yes, hopefully that is the case. don't get me wrong he looks good, its just that he's had some one on one opportunities to break a big one, opposed to the 10 to 15 pick up.

With his lack of game experience right now the game is still moving extremely fast for him. Every snap he takes he'll gain that experience and the game will start to slow down for him. But for nowi t's probably not realistic at this point to expect him to progress through all his reads to find his third and fourth options. I would really like to see him just have a couple of options and then his dump off guy.

Really a situation where the coaches need to set up a game plan thats not too complicated, and also try to limit the amount of obvious passing situations where the defense will force him to find secondary options. I know thats easier said than done, but I really believe Beck can help him out immensly by keeping the defense guessing, not being predictable. Since we all know we do have to throw the ball some, I would really like to see him run some play action on the early downs and also try to move him out of the pocket on occasion. Anything that keeps the defense off balance will make it easier for TA.

Is it just me, or is this kind of thing going on here:

The people who were roasting Taylor over his freshman and sophomore year are the same people willing to give Tommy the benefit of the doubt for his mistakes

-AND-

The people who were giving Taylor the benefit of the doubt for his freshman and sophomore mistakes are now the ones not give the same leeway to Tommy

• Fire 4