Are the expectations of fans the reason we're not where we want to be?

Because it didn't matter in those years. 2010 we lost to an unranked Texas team with the red out around the world campaign fail. 2011 we were embarrassed @ Wisconsin. So, really... that is what I meant by "at one point" because we simply beat NO ONE leading up to those games to deserve a top 10 ranking. We have a trend of barely making it into the top 10 and somehow losing on national tv followed by climbing back up into it and followed by losing a game we shouldn't.

I understand what you're getting at, but I don't think it's fair. You aren't micro-examining every other team in the top 10 to see if they are deserving or not - so you hold the inside knowledge of our program to the outsider perspective of all the rest.

It's more fact than hearsay which is why you may feel it's unfair. It is not an outsiders perspective because we can see the results clear as day. Our program has never deserved a top 10 ranking during the past 6 years. We are a sub top 20 team at best. Any time we gain steam, we somehow lose it. Top 10 teams don't do that. I, like you, want nothing more than for this football team to be consistent and be a competitive top 10 program.

I'm not sure I understand the question posed in the title. We are where we are. My expectations really have no bearing on where the program is. The team is meeting or exceeding some peoples expectations. The team is not meeting other peoples expectations. So on one hand our expectations have little influence on reality. But, on the other hand, if we collectively had no , or very low, expectations, surely the program would gravitate towards that goal. If collectively we all were satisfied with winning three games per year, it might be amazing how quickly that would be all we could achieve. I think that's why so many people have high standards and get a bit pissy with people who are satisfied with being irrelevant in the national picture, top ten, whatever their mark is.

I am not convinced that NU fan expectations are different at all from fan expectation at USC, Texas, Alabama, FSU, Miami, Oklahoma, Georgia, South Carolina, OSU, Oregon, Stanford, Notre Dame, or a hand full of other fan bases. The expectations here are fairly typical of historic program fan bases. Nothing special.

Generally our fan base demands effort, intensity, sound fundamentals, competitiveness against essentially any competition and a few conference championships with semi-regularity and a shot at national significance now and then. Not unreasonable at all.