Michigan Comparison

Folks were amazed about their DC hire but Hoke himself was not considered a slamdunk get when they hired him. Plus, while coach hiring is hardly an exact science you can certainly play the percentages. On average the more proven your hire is the better.

Michigan's issue with hiring coaches is similar to ours. Both want a coach who has ties to the school. Both had long term coaches in the past who did not create coaching trees.

"Proven" means nothing. "Fit" is everything. Success at one school does not always translate to another. Hell, use RichRod as an example. Great at WVU, and and he failed at Mich, but seems to have Arizona on a big uptick. (They drilled Oregon today)

Proven means nothing? Come on, like I said it's hardly exact but on average you are better-off with the guy that has done more. Of course you need fit too, RR at Mich vs zona is a good example, it is worth noting though that he did lose to Wazzou just last week. I didn't say just hire off resume, it takes a certain kind of coach to succeed at Neb. Just don't see it when folks want to jump all over Frost or Moglia. If we were to replace Bo my top choice would still be Tim DeRuyter.

Folks were amazed about their DC hire but Hoke himself was not considered a slamdunk get when they hired him. Plus, while coach hiring is hardly an exact science you can certainly play the percentages. On average the more proven your hire is the better.

Those were my thoughts exactly. I was unimpressed with Hoke, but thought Hoke was smart for getting the DC he did. I was also unimpressed with the OC.

Michigan's issue with hiring coaches is similar to ours. Both want a coach who has ties to the school. Both had long term coaches in the past who did not create coaching trees.

"Proven" means nothing. "Fit" is everything. Success at one school does not always translate to another. Hell, use RichRod as an example. Great at WVU, and and he failed at Mich, but seems to have Arizona on a big uptick. (They drilled Oregon today)

Proven means nothing? Come on, like I said it's hardly exact but on average you are better-off with the guy that has done more. Of course you need fit too, RR at Mich vs zona is a good example, it is worth noting though that he did lose to Wazzou just last week. I didn't say just hire off resume, it takes a certain kind of coach to succeed at Neb. Just don't see it when folks want to jump all over Frost or Moglia. If we were to replace Bo my top choice would still be Tim DeRuyter.

In my opinion, i'll borrow from Jason Whitlock and say I think the difference at michigan is entitlement, which makes RR succeed at Arizona, where he can find players that are hungry to win at a lesser profile program