Michigan Comparison

The team to beat last two years. They have been less than average. They have a "proven" HC with veteran coordinators...and yet they dramatically underperform, worse than NU, despite landing better recruits and signing higher ranked classes. Their program model is exactly what non Bo fans desire, yet this is supposedly the recipe for success?

I'll take Bo for now, instead of a revolving door of coaches.

Ohio State would be a better different example.

Ohio State is indeed a good case for getting a good coach and having immediate success...but that doesn't invalidate the OPs point either....it simply provides another view...both valid I think. Which leads to what the others said...picking a coach is not an exact science...and one I'm glad I don't have to practice.

There's no slam dunk coach out there to bring in. Peterson? Give me a break, his team was ranked number 2 or 3 with convicted athletes behind Meyer's Florida run. Plus, recruiting BSU low admissions standards is near the equivalent of SEC. Tressel, no need for comment. Kirby Smart? Another unproven? Those names circling around don't shout longterm success. Why Pelini was hired in the first place, someone who would coach for years to come.

If we brought in a coach as ESPN gushy as Meyer, I'll be glad to watch it play out and obviously root for the team. I'll eat my words even, but I just don't see us bringing in a two-time national championship type of coach that anti-Bo fans think we can hire.

I'll take Pelini until Frost is ready.

Folks were amazed about their DC hire but Hoke himself was not considered a slamdunk get when they hired him. Plus, while coach hiring is hardly an exact science you can certainly play the percentages. On average the more proven your hire is the better.

Michigan's issue with hiring coaches is similar to ours. Both want a coach who has ties to the school. Both had long term coaches in the past who did not create coaching trees.

"Proven" means nothing. "Fit" is everything. Success at one school does not always translate to another. Hell, use RichRod as an example. Great at WVU, and and he failed at Mich, but seems to have Arizona on a big uptick. (They drilled Oregon today)

Folks were amazed about their DC hire but Hoke himself was not considered a slamdunk get when they hired him. Plus, while coach hiring is hardly an exact science you can certainly play the percentages. On average the more proven your hire is the better.

Michigan's issue with hiring coaches is similar to ours. Both want a coach who has ties to the school. Both had long term coaches in the past who did not create coaching trees.

"Proven" means nothing. "Fit" is everything. Success at one school does not always translate to another. Hell, use RichRod as an example. Great at WVU, and and he failed at Mich, but seems to have Arizona on a big uptick. (They drilled Oregon today)

Prolly one of the biggest win's in that program's history today if not the biggest.

There's no slam dunk coach out there to bring in. Peterson? Give me a break, his team was ranked number 2 or 3 with convicted athletes behind Meyer's Florida run. Plus, recruiting BSU low admissions standards is near the equivalent of SEC. Tressel, no need for comment. Kirby Smart? Another unproven? Those names circling around don't shout longterm success. Why Pelini was hired in the first place, someone who would coach for years to come.

If we brought in a coach as ESPN gushy as Meyer, I'll be glad to watch it play out and obviously root for the team. I'll eat my words even, but I just don't see us bringing in a two-time national championship type of coach that anti-Bo fans think we can hire.

This thinking is why we have a hard time finding coaches. We want someone that is "part of the family" and there are no good canidates that have ties to NU. Frost as HC at NU is laughable as he has proven absoulty nothing at Oregon. Hell if people want Frost, we may as well give the job to Gantz, he is just as qualified as Frost is.

This thinking is why we have a hard time finding coaches. We want someone that is "part of the family" and there are no good canidates that have ties to NU. Frost as HC at NU is laughable as he has proven absoulty nothing at Oregon. Hell if people want Frost, we may as well give the job to Gantz, he is just as qualified as Frost is.

Note I said, "until," but take what you want and run with it.

Note I said, "until," but take what you want and run with it.

yeah, "until", meaning that eventual he will be. not sure i would expect him to become hc material. it is possible, but it is not preordained.

Yeah, I would love to him be on the sidelines, bias because he's one of my favorite Huskers. But he is gonna be a HC someday, he has good ties, is a splash recruiter, and - as much as I hate Oregon - I hope he grows there. He has made it known he wants to be at NU, if he's qualified then bring him in.

Hiring a first time HC shouldn't just be a short term experience. Bo failed as a recruiter first 2 full chances, but he has redeemed himself and could establish something in a couple years, a couple reasons why I don't want to give up on him just yet.

I'm not backing myself in a corner with connection hires, and as I stated above, if there's a splash hire out there I'll root for it, but I just have my doubts.