Clowney Ticketed for 110 MPH

clyde40

Went from giving 70% when the coaches wanted 110% to going 110 when the SCHP wanted 70.

Under achiever on the field, over achiever on the road.

Tajh Boyd was caught speeding the day before going 84 in a 70. Compared to Clowney's 110 it's just further proof that Clemson doesn't have SEC speed. :D

All the Columbia news stations put this out there to defer from Clowney's speeding, because 14 over compares to 40 over.

Went from giving 70% when the coaches wanted 110% to going 110 when the SCHP wanted 70.

Tajh Boyd was caught speeding the day before going 84 in a 70. Compared to Clowney's 110 it's just further proof that Clemson doesn't have SEC speed. :D

All the Columbia news stations put this out there to defer from Clowney's speeding, because 14 over compares to 40 over.

Ah come on now, don't be so sour. :cheers

Ah come on now, don't be so sour. :cheers

I'm not, Tajh shouldn't have been going 84.

However, I'm sour about the fact that if I were going 110 in a 70, I'd be arrested (<25 mph over).

------

On another note - your SEC speed joke made me chuckle.

However, I'm sour about the fact that if I were going 110 in a 70, I'd be arrested (<25 mph over).

14 over is understandable. We've all been in 70 mph zones where the flow of traffic is pushing 75/80 mph...it happens on highways, 84 is fast and definitely reckless but I can understand, it happens. 40 over is excessive and probably deserves more than the slap on the wrist JC got. I think that's a felony in some states and I've seen people arrested in SC for far less so we agree there.

To be honest, I'm not that big of a Clowney fan. I'll crack jokes and defend him because he plays for USC but he's far from my favorite Gamecock. He is, by his own admission, lazy and his off the field demeanor rubs me the wrong way. He's not a bad guy and I don't hate him but it's difficult to fully support a guy who's cocky and lazy when so many other kids work their tails off for the team and are far more humble. I'm thankful that he went to SC and he had some great moments but I won't be a fan of his until he matures.

The "blame the media" argument is a two way street. Did Columbia journalists pitch this angle? I wouldn't know, I'm pretty far removed from Cola. I saw this stuff on CT and if I recall correctly Columbia media is far from USC friendly, or at least it wasn't when I was a student. I remember the State used to feature a USC beat writer who seemed to almost root against the team but that's all anecdotal.

I have no doubt that papers and pundits in the Upstate played up the JC speeding story as a distraction from the fifth loss, kind of a moral victory and ESPN ran with it because that's what they do. They built Clowney up for the last two seasons and have spent this year tearing him down, the ticket is just one more part of that narrative.

Unrelated question: What is your opinion on the Dabo to Texas talk? Is there any chance it will happen?

14 over is understandable. We've all been in 70 mph zones where the flow of traffic is pushing 75/80 mph...it happens on highways, 84 is fast and definitely reckless but I can understand, it happens. 40 over is excessive and probably deserves more than the slap on the wrist JC got. I think that's a felony in some states and I've seen people arrested in SC for far less so we agree there.

To be honest, I'm not that big of a Clowney fan. I'll crack jokes and defend him because he plays for USC but he's far from my favorite Gamecock. He is, by his own admission, lazy and his off the field demeanor rubs me the wrong way. He's not a bad guy and I don't hate him but it's difficult to fully support a guy who's cocky and lazy when so many other kids work their tails off for the team and are far more humble. I'm thankful that he went to SC and he had some great moments but I won't be a fan of his until he matures.

The "blame the media" argument is a two way street. Did Columbia journalists pitch this angle? I wouldn't know, I'm pretty far removed from Cola. I saw this stuff on CT and if I recall correctly Columbia media is far from USC friendly, or at least it wasn't when I was a student. I remember the State used to feature a USC beat writer who seemed to almost root against the team but that's all anecdotal.

I have no doubt that papers and pundits in the Upstate played up the JC speeding story as a distraction from the fifth loss, kind of a moral victory and ESPN ran with it because that's what they do. They built Clowney up for the last two seasons and have spent this year tearing him down, the ticket is just one more part of that narrative.

Unrelated question: What is your opinion on the Dabo to Texas talk? Is there any chance it will happen?

The only thing that irks me about the media is that Tajh was pulled before Clowney, but it wasn't news until after Clowney. Honestly, neither should have been "news" at all.

BTW, Columbia media is now all about the Gamecocks. I guess it's because their recent success? You can't find a mention of Clemson in the newspaper in the sports section, where USC football has their own section nearly daily.

I haven't heard Dabo to Texas. If that's what he wants, he can go. Probably would promote Chad Morris to HC. Would lose some of the recruiting prowess we have at the moment, but maybe we can hire another guy (in Morris' spot) that is a recruiting guy.

• 2 weeks later...