On New Years Day a crowd exceeding 115,000 will ascend on Michigan Stadium

MichiganMan

I really want DoNU to start a hockey program so we can have our own winter classic in Memorial Stadium. ^_^

If Eichorst isn't busy with finding assistant coaching replacements for Bo, then he needs to start working on Nebraska hockey. That there's a B1G conference for hockey now makes it much more appealing now.

You really think they'll fill up the stadium? I would love to go to something like this. But I just don't see 100,000+ going to a hockey game.
we've done it before :)1800px-Pan_Hockey_Arena.jpg

This image is awesome. +1. What I love most is that they didn't cover the field like the NHL does for the Winter Classic games. Being able to see MICHIGAN in the endzones and the bright green of the turf adds so much. Really makes the ice pop out too. I hope I can grab shots like this when MN gets our chance.

it's the Red Wings, arguably the most popular team in the state.

Really? Being totally serious here. I am not saying it's ridiculously hard to believe (especially given the Red Wings success) but that does surprise me considering how much of a backseat the NHL seems to take.

When your choices are the Lions, Tigers, Red Wings.....which do you think they'd pick to follow more?

Really? Being totally serious here. I am not saying it's ridiculously hard to believe (especially given the Red Wings success) but that does surprise me considering how much of a backseat the NHL seems to take.
When your choices are the Lions, Tigers, Red Wings.....which do you think they'd pick to follow more?

I understand and considered that too. Like I said though, the NHL across the country generally gets the shaft and considering the power that the NFL holds (even in terrible markets) and even the MLB to a lesser degree, it is still a bit surprising to me. Only "a bit" really too because the long standing success the Wings have had. That's if we are only considering Pro-level sports too. Would the Wings be ahead of Wolverines football, Sparty bball or football? I don't know.

Of course there can be places where priorities are reversed, Michigan may be one of them. Although, as I look back I would venture to say the surprise is most likely due to the fact that I have only experienced Michigan sports through my zoom lens 1000 miles away, so I am likely missing the real allegiances.

I doubt it.

Lions or Tigers over Red Wings even with all the success. Its like The Knicks being the #1 team in the city even with the Yanks and the Giants winning titles. the success doesn't matter as much as you'd think.

Boston is the only major city I know that prefers Hockey over Football(In the U.S. of course)

I understand and considered that too. Like I said though, the NHL across the country generally gets the shaft and considering the power that the NFL holds (even in terrible markets) and even the MLB to a lesser degree, it is still a bit surprising to me. Only "a bit" really too because the long standing success the Wings have had. That's if we are only considering Pro-level sports too. Would the Wings be ahead of Wolverines football, Sparty bball or football? I don't know.

Of course there can be places where priorities are reversed, Michigan may be one of them. Although, as I look back I would venture to say the surprise is most likely due to the fact that I have only experienced Michigan sports through my zoom lens 1000 miles away, so I am likely missing the real allegiances.

Lions always have masochistic fans, myself I hate the organization and adopted Green Bay. Tigers are good overall, Pistons have been great as well so there is good choices for sport fans, the teams are decent bar the Lions. The Red Wings however have been the most consistent for the last 20 years plus, freakishly consistent actually. 6 Stanley cup appearances in 18 years winning 4 is like going to the big show every 3 years on average So one could see why the team is so popular and sport wise Detroit uses the name Hockey town. Also the game's popularity varies by geography and if a state/city has a team, East coast/mid west/Canada having most support, though agreed it's still behind the big 3 Nationally overall however.