Cook

With what he has done with such a young team, he should be in contention for coach of the year. They have come a long ways.

Hard to argue with that .......

I'll give it a shot. Keep in mind, I think Coach Cook did a marvelous job this year for a number of reasons, especially what was noted by BigRedBuster. Having said that, I will be SHOCKED if Kelly Sheffield from Wisconsin doesn't get NCOY. First year coaching a team that went 17-16 last year, 5-15 in the B1G, finished tied for 9th in the league. Look where they're at now. Yes, they will likely get thrashed by Texas come Thursday but they had a terrific year even prior to the NCAAs beginning.

Both coaches definitely exceeded preseason expectations for sure, but I think Sheffield had a bigger mountain to climb from the get-go. And who knows? Bigger upsets have occurred than if they were to somehow beat Texas. I'll sure be rooting for them.

For clarification, I said "in contention" because I really didn't know what some other coaches had done. What coach Cook did this year proves he is one hell of a coach. He had an uphill battle coming into the season with such a young team. Just the point of bringing in Robinson for her senior year was a HUGE move so that this team had leadership. THEN, having a kid come in for one year and allow her to be the kind of leader she was with this young team shows how well he can manage people.

Awesome job.

• Fire 2

I'm absolutely shocked Kelley Sheffield didn't win NCOY. It instead went, again to Russ Rose. Easily the biggest travesty since I started following volleyball 20 yrs ago. Rose and PSU did very little more than what they did last year. Wisconsin on the other hand did a complete 180. Guess the good ole boy network prevailed.

Rose put together yet another monster Penn State squad so he should get credit for the recruitment and ongoing mental with-it-ivity that he instilled in that team. But as far as Xs and Os in the heat of the match, he had less work to do than Cook or Sheffield. But that's not how it's going to work, ever, and we all know that.