HBO Go and Smart TV

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Got a Samsung smart TV this past weekend and discovered I cannot activate the HBO GO app. Our cable and internet provider is Comcast Xfinity (aka money grubbing bastards) and they will not let anyone activate the app on Samsung TV's. I can use HBO Go on mobile devices, computer, etc. because we do subscribe to HBO through Comcast but they will not allow it on the TV. Apparently they are the only major cable provider who prevents this. I've called Comcast with no luck (imagine that). I've looked on Comcast forums and it is simply a bunch of other people bitching about the same issue.

The only work around I've seen requires getting a user name and login from someone who subscribes to HBO through another cable provider. Volunteers? Didn't think so. Anyone got any other ideas how I can make it work on my TV in some roundabout fashion? It sure would be nice to watch the programming on a big screen in HD rather than on a little screen.

Brjr- There are no other cable providers but I could go to dish or directv.

Sd- I have been contemplating a change but leaning heavily towards directv. If I do go dish, I'll give ya a shout out.

Stu- thought of that but pc is quite a ways away. Is there a way to wirelessly stream it?

Carl- Those might be 3 good ideas. I think there might still be a problem with Roku but I will look into the other two.

+1's for everyone.

jj, that is garbage that they can prevent you from activating an app. that is pretty shady. however, chromecast seems like a pretty good solution. but it is stupid that you have to buy a device to make your smart tv a smart tv where you can actually use the smart tv features.

I wholeheartedly agree, imo. The comcast forums on this subject are ridiculus. If my customers hated my company even 1/1000th as much as people hate comcast..............well I don't know what I'd do but it would be pretty damn extraordinary.

I'm almost positive they are the only provider that won't allow it on samsung tvs and also roku I think. If I had an xbox360, no problem tho. Stupid.

Stu- thought of that but pc is quite a ways away. Is there a way to wirelessly stream it?

i'm sure there's some sort of complicated way, but I wouldn't be able to give any advice on that.

How far away is the computer?

20ish feet as the crow flies, but it would be about 50' to wire it. Plus there are some other issues. I'd go without before I'd run a cable to it.

If you have a smart phone, a tablet or a laptop, you can simply start HBO Go on them and use a hdmi cable(will need a converter in case of a laptop) to connect your said hardware to your tv.

Then there's Playon, it's software that streams some channels from your PC to some external hardware and tv's, not sure if they have an app for your particular tv however.

In the end comcast does suck, they try to stifle innovation wherever they can.

Update. Went the Chromecast route and it works like a champ. Shout out to carl for the $35 solution.

It's a bit redundant for a smart tv but was required due to comcast being stupid dicks. After seeing what Chromecast can do, I would highly recommend it for anyone wanting to convert a regular tv to much of the functionality of a smart tv.

Also a shout out to my employees for providing the Best Buy gift cards that covered the Chromecast purchase.