Which States Send the Most Players to the NFL?

Bowfin

Except that this vaunted Texas pipeline also includes hundreds of players that are quality college players that don't make the NFL

Texas schools are big on recruiting and not so hot on coaching. Part of this comes from the philosophy that if a 5-Star high school recruit doesn't pan out, then there is another one right behind him. One only has to look for an example of this as far as Texas University and their quarterbacks since Colt McCoy. Gilbert, McCoy, and Ash never improved. Now compare that with a 2-Star recruit from Florida named Lavonte David who gets coached up...

Yes, Texas has a lot more likely recruits by total, but Texas is bigger both in size and population. Texas has a population of over 25 million. Nebraska has a population of less than 2 million. All things being equal, the State of Texas should always produce 13 times more quality players at the college and NFL level...I don't see that, but there are a dozen different ways of looking at that.

depends on whose research you are using...

Perhaps most noteworthy, the states with the most players per capita are: Louisiana (1 NFL player per 73,119 people), South Carolina (1 per 85,655), Mississippi (1 per 92,728), Alabama (1 per 99,578), Florida (1 per 101,082), Georgia (1 per 101,975) and Montana (1 per 109,935).

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-09-18/nfl-players-state-by-state-breakdown-california-florida-louisiana-texas-south-ca

Perhaps most noteworthy, the states with the most players per capita are: Louisiana (1 NFL player per 73,119 people), South Carolina (1 per 85,655), Mississippi (1 per 92,728), Alabama (1 per 99,578), Florida (1 per 101,082), Georgia (1 per 101,975) and Montana (1 per 109,935).

http://www.sportingn...-texas-south-ca

Hellz yeah, we need to start tapping that Montana pipeline!

http://www.sportingn...-texas-south-ca

Hellz yeah, we need to start tapping that Montana pipeline!

THIS^^^^^ is one of the very reasons that I will someday move to Nebraska!

A little more fun with rosters and per capita rankings...look at KU. Both Kansas and Texas are the same color but look at the roster.

GVUolAG.png

The thing I appreciate most about this chart is that, despite being very close neighbors, no Nebraska kid is currently stooping to the shameful level of going to KU for football.

Texas product. I would trade all of Nebraska for another Rex Burkhead. And Iowa. I'll throw Iowa in there too.

I take it you are too young to remember Ahman Green...

...or Roger Craig from Iowa...

Go do your homework and report back to us what you find, please and thank you.

Texas product. I would trade all of Nebraska for another Rex Burkhead. And Iowa. I'll throw Iowa in there too.

I take it you are too young to remember Ahman Green...

...or Roger Craig from Iowa...

Go do your homework and report back to us what you find, please and thank you.

Also, youre including children and older people in the sample size as well. Maybe you should do do males between the ages of 22-40? Obviously youre going to get more older people in texas and cali due to those places being better for retirement.

Texas has one of the youngest populations as a state, at 32.6 years of age average. Nebraska's median age is 36. Texas' population percentage between the ages of 18-44 is 38.4%, while Nebraska's is 25.8%. So when THAT is factored in to the mix, the "pipeline" claim appears to be even more fancy than fact.

As far as male to female ratios, those are statistically insignificant, with Nebraska's male to female ration being 98.4% and the Texas ratio being 98.5%

"...if we torture the numbers long enough they will tell us anything we want them to..."

Or, rather than just torture the numbers long enough, we could just ignore them completely and take Texas' word on the subject matter, same as the Dallas Cowboys being "America's team".

(My guess that would be the Packers, if we "torture the numbers" long enough)

The only fallacy is that per capita numbers have anything to do with anything in this context. The only thing that tells you is if you put the best two players from Nebraska up against the best 26 players from Texas that they would be roughly equal in talent. But one gets you a lot closer to having a complete team than the other.

• Fire 1

The only fallacy is that per capita numbers have anything to do with anything

No fallacy to the orignial gist of the thread, which was: There is no special gridiron magic in a state that is thirteen times more populous turning out 10-11 times as many football players. As they say in Texas, such talk about the legendary "Texas pipeline is "more hat than cattle."