Wanna throw out some feedback?

Ah, I gotcha. Biblical references (depending on how obvious they are) can be a whole new conundrum, especially with respect to the gay rights movement right now. You likely are fully aware of that. Tread lightly there.

I am kinda in the same boat however you seem more serious about making a business out of it right now. I swing heavily back and forth (depending on my mood) whether I want to make that leap and sometimes go crazy thinking of business details.

I would say that you don't want to limit yourself to photography with respect to company name, like you said, mostly for the reason that if you don't really know the full direction you want to go that gives you room to meander your focus. Although the big problem with that is that you might end up with too many hands in too many cookie jars and it will be tough to juggle. It's certainly possible but its definitely tougher to manage.

So with that, find the service that you want to be your primary focus, the one that is the obvious fall back if the other parts dont work. Then build the others into and around that Identity. Then build your 'company name' and logos off of that. I like the logo start you have but I wouldn't go too far without having an identity or the logo could set that identity for you, when it should be the other way around. Not that you can't change logos and such but not having to make so many changes so soon saves you time and effort in the long run. Of course, all in theory because it can be done in round about ways too.

Obviously, all this is not profound advice. Sometimes it helps to be reminded to circle the wagons and re-evaluate from the beginning.

Appreciate it icedavis :) What I meant by lacking identity was mostly as far as actual specific aesthetic. For example, three separate things I made yesterday:

gftIhgf.jpg

FNEEAOZ.jpg

H5YXYKH.jpg

So my fallback 'identity' or focus is graphic design work for web or print, and I guess there's a theme of wanting to serve people towards their needs rather than my desires or what i think looks good, and to "be all things to all people".

• 2 weeks later...

Getting there. I am having trouble getting past a couple things though. The circle with the curved type is awesome but I think it doesn't quite capture the L the way I prefer it would. The circle with the squared off type doesn't quite capture the J. Also, I think it looks like an L bound by a box with the circle highlighting the lower right quadrant. I like it though.

Of course without context I am only inferring that your intent is to have the L and J be identifiable and then applying my own preference to it.

I am also drawn to the circle with squared LJ with the sans type next to it. The plaid-like one is cool but IDK that it works for me, in what I believe you are trying to go for.

Nice use of Homestead ;)

The ones that stand out to me the most are the ones using a mirrored L to make the J as well. Only thing it, the ones in the shield make me think of a stencilized U.

Honestly I've been playing around with it so much and hardly any of them stand out to me. The only one I really like even a little bit is the 'lj' shield in the bottom right, but I agree with the U thing. I wonder if it would distinguish it better if i gave the L a little slab on top and on the bottom, and then made the dot of the j more of a sideways rectangle instead of a square.

Also maybe playing with the idea of stroking everything super thin instead of so heavy.

• 1 month later...