**** What Did We Learn ****

More often than not TA in that situation has not come up big. The run could have worked, they were exhausted on D. A double was churning up yards. Im all for playing for the win but gambling like that was not the right call. A pick gives them the game. An incompletion stops the clock and gives them life which it did. When your 8-4 on the year and have dropped 3 straight bowls, you try to take the lead and the clock with you. Anything but a catch could have given them the game. We were fortunate.

laugh out loud.

unbelievable cognitive dissonance.

IF You think Im complaining about the win Im not. Incredibly proud of everyone today. Near perfect in most aspects.

All Im saying is that with such little time left on 3rd and short deep in your own territory a pass was not a go to call. Ameer was capable of picking up 4 and giving us contol of the closing minutes. Instead our young d stepped up big and Im glad they did.

IF You think Im complaining about the win Im not. Incredibly proud of everyone today. Near perfect in most aspects.

All Im saying is that with such little time left on 3rd and short deep in your own territory a pass was not a go to call. Ameer was capable of picking up 4 and giving us contol of the closing minutes. Instead our young d stepped up big and Im glad they did.

honestly, i misread what you said. i thought you said anything but a catch "would have" given them a win, not "could have". my apologies.

i am just saying that i do not think it was that bad of a call. running would have been better, but it is pretty easy saying that after the fact. what would we be saying if it was completed? nothing, because we never remember the "right" calls (except the 99 yd td, but what if that failed? like it was a safety or fumble or something? i would be afraid for beck's life).

honestly, i misread what you said. i thought you said anything but a catch "would have" given them a win, not "could have". my apologies.

i am just saying that i do not think it was that bad of a call. running would have been better, but it is pretty easy saying that after the fact. what would we be saying if it was completed? nothing, because we never remember the "right" calls (except the 99 yd td, but what if that failed? like it was a safety or fumble or something? i would be afraid for beck's life).

Lord, had we turned it over on that play Beck would be out. Probably in witness protection. Even if we had completed it I wouldnt have liked the call. It took guts, gotta give him that. But they were ready for it.

Lord, had we turned it over on that play Beck would be out. Probably in witness protection. Even if we had completed it I wouldnt have liked the call. It took guts, gotta give him that. But they were ready for it.

no they were not. there were two open receivers and ta threw it between them. they were ready for the run. that is why he called a pass. also, maybe the call spared us a fumble? again, hindsight is 20/20. that call was not executed, but it was there for the taking if the throw was made. the best criticism is that ta should not be trusted to make that throw, but you have to trust your players.

• Fire 2

Beck is absolutely in way over his head. He has no idea how to manage the game.

Wrong. The guy called a great game, save for one or two plays. Some people never want to stop complaining.

Way to cherry pick my comments. I gave a good sound example of bad game management directly after what you quoted from me. I'm not complaining just giving my honest opinion.

Dude, if the 99 yard pass had been incomplete, you'd be on here totally complaining about it . All-in-all, Beck called a very good game. People forget that the guy is only in his third year.

Dude, if the 99 yard pass had been incomplete, you'd be on here totally complaining about it . All-in-all, Beck called a very good game. People forget that the guy is only in his third year.

when it comes to criticizing oc's, i really think it is just the psychology of our brains. between 20/20 hindsight and availability heuristics, all we do is pick a handful of plays that did not work and project those as the entire day. and we simplify everything to pass vs. rush, when there is so much more to consider when calling plays.

• Fire 3

no they were not. there were two open receivers and ta threw it between them. they were ready for the run. that is why he called it. also, maybe the call spared us a fumble? again, hindsight is 20/20. that call was not executed, but it was there for the taking if the throw was made. the best criticism is that ta should not be trusted to make that throw, but you have to trust your players.

He felt pressure, made a bad throw. Thats all you can ask of your D in that situation if your Georgia. Maybe not sniffed out, but they didnt get torched either. Ready enough. You bring up another point. Throwing in that scenario is not TAs strong suit and that makes it a bad call. Im all for trusting the players but we desperately needed that win and nobody was forcing us to throw. The only thing I liked from the announcing crew was when they said give it to AA and ride it to the win.

Beck had some great calls, no question. But passing on 3rd and 6 with 3:30 left instead of rushing to kill the clock even if you dont pickup the first proved he doesnt grasp the management role yet.

that's the point though. people complain about us not playing to win the game, but playing not to lose. then you have an opportunity to keep the ball and finish the game, so you take the chance. the run would have got stuffed, they were selling out to stop it, that is why there were two wide receivers wide open. ta can make that throw, he just did not there. it was the right call if you want coaches who call games to win and not just to not lose.

To me, this call is no different than the 99.9 yard pass play call. Everyone is looking for a run. The announcers were even saying to just run up the gut and get some room. Beck calls a pass, it works and everyone loves it.

In this situation, everyone is looking for a run with Ameer. So, he calls a play that actually had a pretty high chance of working but TA didn't complete the pass.

• Fire 1

To me, this call is no different than the 99.9 yard pass play call. Everyone is looking for a run. The announcers were even saying to just run up the gut and get some room. Beck calls a pass, it works and everyone loves it.

In this situation, everyone is looking for a run with Ameer. So, he calls a play that actually had a pretty high chance of working but TA didn't complete the pass.

thank you. i agree. maybe a run would have worked, we will never know. i do not think it would have, but it would have ran more time off, that is the only benefit. he called the play he thought gave us the best chance to win, and it was there. just not executed. ta can make that throw, he just did not. and we all seem to forget, you run plays to open up other plays and set up other plays. that play was perfectly set up. i think it was a good call and i wish i could see the alternate history where it worked.

there are probably dozens of plays each game that work and we never talk about them, then a few that do not work and we can just say: he called a pass when we should have ran it, or vice versa.

thank you. i agree. maybe a run would have worked, we will never know. i do not think it would have, but it would have ran more time off, that is the only benefit. he called the play he thought gave us the best chance to win, and it was there. just not executed. ta can make that throw, he just did not. and we all seem to forget, you run plays to open up other plays and set up other plays. that play was perfectly set up. i think it was a good call and i wish i could see the alternate history where it worked.

there are probably dozens of plays each game that work and we never talk about them, then a few that do not work and we can just say: he called a pass when we should have ran it, or vice versa.

The same thing can be said about the play Texas called in a similar situation against us in the 1996 Big 12 champ game. When it works, the guy goes down as a genius.

The game was essentially on the line and your options are pass with a guy nobody feels comfy with doing so OR run with a guy who is. as dependable as you can get. Sure he couldve fumbled. Sure TA makes a better throw and it looks genius. But the gamble wasnt worth it in my book.

The same thing can be said about the play Texas called in a similar situation against us in the 1996 Big 12 champ game. When it works, the guy goes down as a genius.

the play that works is always the obvious one and the one that does not is always the dumbest thing you could ever do. just like when belichick went for it on fourth against peyton and was crucified for it a few years back. then, this year, he gave him the ball in ot was was a genius for it. it is all hindsight.

The game was essentially on the line and your options are pass with a guy nobody feels comfy with doing so OR run with a guy who is. as dependable as you can get. Sure he couldve fumbled. Sure TA makes a better throw and it looks genius. But the gamble wasnt worth it in my book.

we will have to agree to disagree. but every play is a gamble. and the game was on the line, he called a pass, it failed, and we still won. so it is what it is. it really was not that risky given the upside and the fact that we still won despite failing to execute on that play.

• Fire 2