Next Season's Title Game: FSU v. Nebraska

Before last night, I'd a thought this thread as a whole was ludicrous. But after watching that game last night, frickin Auburn was 13 seconds from WINNING the national title. I keep going back and forth as to whether or not we're really that close to taking the proverbial next step. Last night's game sealed it for me. We are. Seriously we are. I know I know. There's no evidence to think that anything will change and improve, but I'll tell you what, here's a couple factual scenarios that should tell you that the otherwize is plenty possble.

What would your repsonse had been if someone told you 1 year ago today that Auburn would be playing for the National title, and had a shot at winning the game? Mind you, they went 3-9 last year, and went 0'fer in conference, hired a new coach and overhauled EVERYTHING.

What would your response had been if on September 15th (day after UCLA game) that by the end of the year, our defense would be the mainstay of the team? Keeping us in games. Winning us games @ Michigan and @Penn St. Carrying the team in a win over GEORGIA.

Things change. They improve. And in this day and age of college football, with the talent gap across the country as narrow as ever, with parity as rampant as ever, things can change so fast. Games are tight and can swing on a handful of plays or even less. This is not crazy talk anymore.

Frankly, fixing the punt return disaster and limiting (eliminating is too much to ask for of any team) turnovers will get us back to Indy for starters.

You serious Clark? (Again)

14163-13444.gif

We get the fumbles and special teams fixed, ill give you a 10ish ranking if we play consistently.....that's a lonnnnnng way from competing(and being competitive) for a national champioship...

Please point out where I said that simply fixing special teams and limiting turnovers would have us playing for a national title. Go on. Find it. I'll wait.

"Auburn was 13 seconds from WINNING the national title. I keep going back and forth as to whether or not we're really that close to taking the proverbial next step. Last night's game sealed it for me. We are. Seriously we are" (I am assuming the proverbial next step would be WINNING the national title or close as it was compared to Auburn being 13 seconds away)..otherwise you would have made a comparison to say....Mizzou for instance.

"Frankly, fixing the punt return disaster and limiting (eliminating is too much to ask for of any team) turnovers will get us back to Indy for starters." I agree-10ish.

if i misunderstood your message..my bad. I am not in the camp that all is well in Lincoln...we have serious issues to solve and I hope we do solve them

Serious issues as in we have talent, but we're a few fixed issues away. Whether this staff is capable, the jury's still out. I get that, and am not disaggreeing. But we are close. Maybe different folks perceive "close" in different ways. Like said, Michigan St went 7-6 last year and didnt even settle on a QB till midway through this season, and Auburn went 3-8.

Anyone care to breakdown your schedule next year?

FAU

McNeese State

@ Fresno State

Miami (FL)

Illinois

@ Michigan State

BYE

@ Northwestern

Rutgers

Purdue

BYE

@ Wisconsin

Minnesota

@ Iowa

I think it's between Wisconsin and Nebraska for the West title with Iowa and maybe Minnesota being close on the outside.

Ohio State or Michigan State from the East of course.

My worse case is that we loose 4 again - highlighted in Red. Mainly because of our track record this year. Bo hasn't beaten a good BCS team pre-conference yet that I can remember - so Miami. Wisc, Iowa, MSU had our # the last time we played each. However, MSU has a lot of seniors they will be without from this year's team.

Best case - if we show real maturity on both sides of the ball, good QB play and minimize turnovers, minimize bad or lack of adjustments, and improve ST, I could see the potential for us to win every game if we are healthy. We have the talent to do so. I always enter the season wt optimism - I just want to keep it next year all season long. Realism, based on past performances, causes one to hedge or temper that optimism. I think everyone on the board wants to be optimistic, the frustration is seasonal let downs.

That BYE week before Wisconsin is huge! chuckleshuffle

Anyone care to breakdown your schedule next year?

FAU

McNeese State

@ Fresno State

Miami (FL)

Illinois

@ Michigan State

BYE

@ Northwestern

Rutgers

Purdue

BYE

@ Wisconsin

Minnesota

@ Iowa

I think it's between Wisconsin and Nebraska for the West title with Iowa and maybe Minnesota being close on the outside.

Ohio State or Michigan State from the East of course.

My worse case is that we loose 4 again - highlighted in Red. Mainly because of our track record this year. Bo hasn't beaten a good BCS team pre-conference yet that I can remember - so Miami. Wisc, Iowa, MSU had our # the last time we played each. However, MSU has a lot of seniors they will be without from this year's team.

Best case - if we show real maturity on both sides of the ball, good QB play and minimize turnovers, minimize bad or lack of adjustments, and improve ST, I could see the potential for us to win every game if we are healthy. We have the talent to do so. I always enter the season wt optimism - I just want to keep it next year all season long. Realism, based on past performances, causes one to hedge or temper that optimism. I think everyone on the board wants to be optimistic, the frustration is seasonal let downs.

That BYE week before Wisconsin is huge! chuckleshuffle

I also think that the bye week between our only set of consecutive road games is also huge. Especially since the 1st is what will be an absolute slugfest at Michigan St. That's a pretty priceless scenario right there.

• Fire 1

OK, guys, we're going to split up, and we need lots of volunteers.

I need four people to cover the upstairs bedrooms, a couple for the bathroom and the hallway/linen closet and one to search the bookcase by the stairs.

I need three people to search the living room, four for the family room, two for the kitchen, one for each of the first-floor bathrooms (and the mudroom), two people to search both the dining room and the vestibule, and one more for the laundry/hallway.

I'm going to need four more for the family room downstairs, one for the exercise room, one for each office, two for the pool/game room and someone needs to take the under-stairs storage area.

I'll need two people for the garage (don't forget to look behind the shop bench and you'll have to move the grinder - don't be lazy), and I need three hardy volunteers to check outdoors on the driveway, walkway and the entryway. If you could check the breezeway along the north side that would be great, but I don't think he's been there for a while.

I figure if we all work together and don't slack off, eventually we'll find NUpolo8's missing sense of humor.

First one to find it gets a +1!

That was elaborate.