Next Season's Title Game: FSU v. Nebraska

Before last night, I'd a thought this thread as a whole was ludicrous. But after watching that game last night, frickin Auburn was 13 seconds from WINNING the national title. I keep going back and forth as to whether or not we're really that close to taking the proverbial next step. Last night's game sealed it for me. We are. Seriously we are. I know I know. There's no evidence to think that anything will change and improve, but I'll tell you what, here's a couple factual scenarios that should tell you that the otherwize is plenty possble.

What would your repsonse had been if someone told you 1 year ago today that Auburn would be playing for the National title, and had a shot at winning the game? Mind you, they went 3-9 last year, and went 0'fer in conference, hired a new coach and overhauled EVERYTHING.

What would your response had been if on September 15th (day after UCLA game) that by the end of the year, our defense would be the mainstay of the team? Keeping us in games. Winning us games @ Michigan and @Penn St. Carrying the team in a win over GEORGIA.

Things change. They improve. And in this day and age of college football, with the talent gap across the country as narrow as ever, with parity as rampant as ever, things can change so fast. Games are tight and can swing on a handful of plays or even less. This is not crazy talk anymore.

Frankly, fixing the punt return disaster and limiting (eliminating is too much to ask for of any team) turnovers will get us back to Indy for starters.

I'm Ready, I'm Ready, I'm Ready;

eVkpJaq.gif

Oh Snap!

Anyone care to breakdown your schedule next year?

FAU

McNeese State

@ Fresno State

Miami (FL)

Illinois

@ Michigan State

BYE

@ Northwestern

Rutgers

Purdue

BYE

@ Wisconsin

Minnesota

@ Iowa

I think it's between Wisconsin and Nebraska for the West title with Iowa and maybe Minnesota being close on the outside.

Ohio State or Michigan State from the East of course.

Before last night, I'd a thought this thread as a whole was ludicrous. But after watching that game last night, frickin Auburn was 13 seconds from WINNING the national title. I keep going back and forth as to whether or not we're really that close to taking the proverbial next step. Last night's game sealed it for me. We are. Seriously we are. I know I know. There's no evidence to think that anything will change and improve, but I'll tell you what, here's a couple factual scenarios that should tell you that the otherwize is plenty possble.

What would your repsonse had been if someone told you 1 year ago today that Auburn would be playing for the National title, and had a shot at winning the game? Mind you, they went 3-9 last year, and went 0'fer in conference, hired a new coach and overhauled EVERYTHING.

What would your response had been if on September 15th (day after UCLA game) that by the end of the year, our defense would be the mainstay of the team? Keeping us in games. Winning us games @ Michigan and @Penn St. Carrying the team in a win over GEORGIA.

Things change. They improve. And in this day and age of college football, with the talent gap across the country as narrow as ever, with parity as rampant as ever, things can change so fast. Games are tight and can swing on a handful of plays or even less. This is not crazy talk anymore.

Frankly, fixing the punt return disaster and limiting (eliminating is too much to ask for of any team) turnovers will get us back to Indy for starters.

I highlighted in red a key point you made Accountability hired a new coach and overhauled EVERYTHING

Now, I don't propose to hire a new coach but that was the key ingredient in Auburn's turnaround. Remember much of our key issues go down to coaching and coaching experience: Not ready for big games, not making adjustments, being out coached, Beck's unreasonable play calling at times, etc - we've heard it all.

Players perform to the level of their coaching for the most part. Occasionally you get a QB who is a coach on the field who can audible out of wrong plays, etc. Or take Suh, good player but Bo and team coached him up vs BC's team.

Things do improve and change - if we make the correct changes but if we keep doing the same old stuff - we get into the insanity realm and we will not see a different outcome. So if Bo can grow and change and adapt to new realities of what it takes to get us on top, then we can get there. If it is the same old, wt the same staff coaching issues - 2014 may be mildly more successful than 2013 (if no major injuries) but we won't be on top. I think other teams have passed us up this year - MSU for sure, OSU (I thought we were fairly even wt them year 1 in the big 10), Minny and Iowa improved greatly this year - perhaps we would have too without the injuries. I hope next year we can prove our growth.

I highlighted in red a key point you made Accountability hired a new coach and overhauled EVERYTHING

Now, I don't propose to hire a new coach but that was the key ingredient in Auburn's turnaround. Remember much of our key issues go down to coaching and coaching experience: Not ready for big games, not making adjustments, being out coached, Beck's unreasonable play calling at times, etc - we've heard it all.

Players perform to the level of their coaching for the most part. Occasionally you get a QB who is a coach on the field who can audible out of wrong plays, etc. Or take Suh, good player but Bo and team coached him up vs BC's team.

Things do improve and change - if we make the correct changes but if we keep doing the same old stuff - we get into the insanity realm and we will not see a different outcome. So if Bo can grow and change and adapt to new realities of what it takes to get us on top, then we can get there. If it is the same old, wt the same staff coaching issues - 2014 may be mildly more successful than 2013 (if no major injuries) but we won't be on top. I think other teams have passed us up this year - MSU for sure, OSU (I thought we were fairly even wt them year 1 in the big 10), Minny and Iowa improved greatly this year - perhaps we would have too without the injuries. I hope next year we can prove our growth.

No arguments. Nicely said. You protrayed both sides.

Anyone care to breakdown your schedule next year?

FAU

McNeese State

@ Fresno State

Miami (FL)

Illinois

@ Michigan State

BYE

@ Northwestern

Rutgers

Purdue

BYE

@ Wisconsin

Minnesota

@ Iowa

I think it's between Wisconsin and Nebraska for the West title with Iowa and maybe Minnesota being close on the outside.

Ohio State or Michigan State from the East of course.

My worse case is that we loose 4 again - highlighted in Red. Mainly because of our track record this year. Bo hasn't beaten a good BCS team pre-conference yet that I can remember - so Miami. Wisc, Iowa, MSU had our # the last time we played each. However, MSU has a lot of seniors they will be without from this year's team.

Best case - if we show real maturity on both sides of the ball, good QB play and minimize turnovers, minimize bad or lack of adjustments, and improve ST, I could see the potential for us to win every game if we are healthy. We have the talent to do so. I always enter the season wt optimism - I just want to keep it next year all season long. Realism, based on past performances, causes one to hedge or temper that optimism. I think everyone on the board wants to be optimistic, the frustration is seasonal let downs.

Wisconsin's s.

chedule for reference...

1: LSU (Houston, TX)

2: Western Illinois

3: BYE

4: Bowling Green

5: USF

6: @Northwestern

7: Illinois

8: BYE

9: Maryland

10: @Rutgers

11: @Purdue

12: Nebraska

13: @Iowa

14: Minnesota

That isn't the hardest schedule, with the only likely loss I'd like to pick before the NU game is LSU.

If Ameer comes back I'd say most would pick NU as the favorite to win the West. Whisky loses a LOT on D.

Wisconsin's s.

chedule for reference...

That isn't the hardest schedule, with the only likely loss I'd like to pick before the NU game is LSU.

If Ameer comes back I'd say most would pick NU as the favorite to win the West. Whisky loses a LOT on D.

Defense is going to kill us next year...losing seven guys though some of the backups showed some great things this year like Trotter when he was in for Borland. Also losing our top two (read as "only") receiving targets.

Loss to LSU. Probably lose one of the last three with the highest chance beginning with Nebraska and diminishing each week after. I'll be happy with 10-2. Still getting a feel for Gary Andersen, maybe we'll drop another game in there too...it wouldn't surprise me. I just really want to see what's going to happen with DJ Gilins in the next few years.

I think the West will be decided by the Wisconsin-Nebraska game.

You serious Clark? (Again)

14163-13444.gif

We get the fumbles and special teams fixed, ill give you a 10ish ranking if we play consistently.....that's a lonnnnnng way from competing(and being competitive) for a national champioship...

14163-13444.gif

We get the fumbles and special teams fixed, ill give you a 10ish ranking if we play consistently.....that's a lonnnnnng way from competing(and being competitive) for a national champioship...

Please point out where I said that simply fixing special teams and limiting turnovers would have us playing for a national title. Go on. Find it. I'll wait.

14163-13444.gif

Please point out where I said that simply fixing special teams and limiting turnovers would have us playing for a national title. Go on. Find it. I'll wait.

"Auburn was 13 seconds from WINNING the national title. I keep going back and forth as to whether or not we're really that close to taking the proverbial next step. Last night's game sealed it for me. We are. Seriously we are" (I am assuming the proverbial next step would be WINNING the national title or close as it was compared to Auburn being 13 seconds away)..otherwise you would have made a comparison to say....Mizzou for instance.

"Frankly, fixing the punt return disaster and limiting (eliminating is too much to ask for of any team) turnovers will get us back to Indy for starters." I agree-10ish.

if i misunderstood your message..my bad. I am not in the camp that all is well in Lincoln...we have serious issues to solve and I hope we do solve them

Wisconsin's s.

chedule for reference...

Defense is going to kill us next year...losing seven guys though some of the backups showed some great things this year like Trotter when he was in for Borland. Also losing our top two (read as "only") receiving targets.

Loss to LSU. Probably lose one of the last three with the highest chance beginning with Nebraska and diminishing each week after. I'll be happy with 10-2. Still getting a feel for Gary Andersen, maybe we'll drop another game in there too...it wouldn't surprise me. I just really want to see what's going to happen with DJ Gilins in the next few years.

I think the West will be decided by the Wisconsin-Nebraska game.

funny-animated-gifs-stay-down.gifoacg240.gif