NFL & Tax Exemption Status

Did you know that the NFL is classified as a tax exempt organization under 501©(6)?

Well, I didn't, and neither did I think most of us. Except for Mavric. That guy's sharp. The following is split from the Redskins discussion thread. Thought this would be a worthwhile topic. I'll leave a quick link to the two articles dug up for us.

Huffington Post: Why Does the National Football League Deserve Tax-Exempt Status?

Forbes: Flap About NFL Tax Exemption Seems Silly

Sounds like the second article covers it best (the first seems rather mistaken on a few things, such as the NHL and NBA not being the same).

NFL teams, individually, are for-profit and pay taxes. The collective arrangement of the league is what falls under tax exempt status, and the league itself, while handling and facilitating a lot of big profits for individual companies, doesn't bring in that much in revenue. For example, the Huffington Post article leads with,

It may seem absurd that a collection of teams that generated at least $9 billion in revenue last season would be given tax-exempt status, but the NFL is technically classified as a 501©6 organization.

...but later breaks down a year (2009) when NFL finances were in the 'red'. In that year, NFL revenue was only $192.3 million. Expenditure was $234.6 million.

From the much more in-depth and informed Forbes article we learn that losses are par for the course in the NFL, although it isn't actually unsustainable. It also makes this interesting observation:

Turning the money losing exempt organization into a taxable entity does not look like it will cost anybody any additional taxes. Conceivably if they organized it as an LLC, they might save a few dollars.

In other words, in choosing to be 501©(6) instead of ... (I'm not sure what, here), the NFL has actually "increased their cumulative tax liability".

Oooh, good one. I'll hijack your post:

apparently, the nfl is a non-profit organization.

How the NFL Fleeces Taxpayers

Taxpayers fund the stadiums, antitrust law doesn't apply to broadcast deals, the league enjoys nonprofit status, and Commissioner Roger Goodell makes $30 million a year. It's time to stop the public giveaways to America's richest sports league—and to the feudal lords who own its teams.

i always knew that taxpayers got a raw deal when funding stadiums, especially because the owners are perfectly capable of funding them. but this goes into much more depth of these issues.