Numbers Game: Huskers Lost Ground in 2013

Saunders

I have said this many times it is not all the special teams that were bad last year. Only punt return was completely terrible. That needs to be fixed. Out KO and Kick return were actually pretty good. Our punt team was a little below average, but that is due to our punter being so erratic.

The punt return team needs a complete change in philosophy.

Although I can think of a few time of what the hell is he doing when Nebraska players decided to take the ball out of the Endzone on kick returns. Take in point in the Northwestern game when NW just took the lead and left Nebraska with 120 left on the clock. Quincy Enunwa (Not known for his speed) instead of downing the ball and getting the ball automatically on the 25 he takes off straight down the field and gets tackled around the 15 and takes 6 seconds off the clock.

It's moments like these that make you what what the coaches are telling theses players or, if there is even communication going on during key moments.

I have said this many times it is not all the special teams that were bad last year. Only punt return was completely terrible. That needs to be fixed. Out KO and Kick return were actually pretty good. Our punt team was a little below average, but that is due to our punter being so erratic.

Although I can think of a few time of what the hell is he doing when Nebraska players decided to take the ball out of the Endzone on kick returns. Take in point in the Northwestern game when NW just took the lead and left Nebraska with 120 left on the clock. Quincy Enunwa (Not known for his speed) instead of downing the ball and getting the ball automatically on the 25 he takes off straight down the field and gets tackled around the 15 and takes 6 seconds off the clock.

It's moments like these that make you what what the coaches are telling theses players or, if there is even communication going on during key moments.

No doubt we need some help in our return game! Just like you mentioned here REDSTEEL, these things drove me nuts or taking a fair catch inside the 10 also was something that just irked me!

So are you trying to tell me that because you remember a few instances of a player making a bad decision on a kick return that means they need to revamp all of the ST?

QE was trying to make a play like you see countless players doing on any given Saturday in college football. It was a bad decision, but that happens all the time.

Of coarse there is communication going on in key moments, but I doubt anyone told QE that if the ball is in the end zone just down it.

So are you trying to tell me that because you remember a few instances of a player making a bad decision on a kick return that means they need to revamp all of the ST?

QE was trying to make a play like you see countless players doing on any given Saturday in college football. It was a bad decision, but that happens all the time.

Of coarse there is communication going on in key moments, but I doubt anyone told QE that if the ball is in the end zone just down it.

Communication is key in the return game as well as knowing where you are on the field. I don't know, maybe all teams have the problems we do but the games I catch on TV I sure don't see it to the degree we do! (Problems that is)

Communication is key in the return game as well as knowing where you are on the field. I don't know, maybe all teams have the problems we do but the games I catch on TV I sure don't see it to the degree we do! (Problems that is)

I think you probably notice it more because you have a vested interest in seeing Nebraska do well.

As far as the fielding the punt inside the 10 yard line goes, watch some games, it is becoming much more common. Teams are getting much better at covering punts and downing them on the 1-2 yard line and punters are getting that much better at killing the ball. The rules are so that all the advantages go to the punt team. Seven players can release before the ball is punted. That is why you see all the spread out stuff on punt teams anymore.

I think you probably notice it more because you have a vested interest in seeing Nebraska do well.

As far as the fielding the punt inside the 10 yard line goes, watch some games, it is becoming much more common. Teams are getting much better at covering punts and downing them on the 1-2 yard line and punters are getting that much better at killing the ball. The rules are so that all the advantages go to the punt team. Seven players can release before the ball is punted. That is why you see all the spread out stuff on punt teams anymore.

I get that (more teams fair catching inside the 10) but when there is no one within 10-15 yards of you and you fair catch it inside the 10, that is just a poor decision or a lack of communication from others letting the return man know to let it go or return it. The return man can also block the oncoming defenders from getting to the ball to down it as well. I don't know, you are probably right about being vested and it standing out to me but we have been hurt by special team mistakes a lot these past years.

As the season progressed, I got the feeling that the coaching staff was satisfied with a successful fair catch and no turnover.

Westerkamp was chosen for his hands.

But to also be fair to the staff, they really went hard on the recruiting trail after some guys who excelled at "returning" in HS (Pierson-El, Mosley, Harrison, Irons). Not saying they will translate, but they brought in some good candidates.

I've said months maybe a year ago, but I never bothered to look up the actual stats, but my comment was that Bo Pelini owes Alex Henery a ton of credit for our early successes. Alex Henery was probably the most vital Husker this program has had in a long time. Without him, I think you are talking about changing outcomes of many many games.

I've said months maybe a year ago, but I never bothered to look up the actual stats, but my comment was that Bo Pelini owes Alex Henery a ton of credit for our early successes. Alex Henery was probably the most vital Husker this program has had in a long time. Without him, I think you are talking about changing outcomes of many many games.

No doubt he played a big part in our field position! One heck of a kicker.