Numbers Game: Huskers Lost Ground in 2013

Saunders

For most of Bo Pelini’s tenure at Nebraska, turnovers have been a hot topic of conversation. They’re random but Nebraska has done its best to challenge that notion in recent years, consistently, and oftentimes decisively, ending up on the short end in the turnover battle.

But today we’re going to talk about what should be the primary concern for Nebraska headed into 2014 — field position. That’s related to turnovers but also encompasses special teams play, the other popular topic from 2013 and we’re talking about it now because of this fact: 2013 was Nebraska’s worst year yet under Pelini from a field position standpoint. Worse even than the 2007 season where the Huskers went 5-7.

http://hailvarsity.com/2014/02/numbers-game-huskers-lost-ground-in-2013/

Damn...

Taken over an entire season that means Nebraska’s opponents were expected to score 45.54 more points than the Huskers based on field position alone.

How many times did we give Iowa the ball on our side of the field? It felt like every possession of there's. Even following a touchback after a score of ours.

Same thing with Michigan State

Michigan St was worse. I didnt even wanna bring that catastrophy up. We didnt just give them the ball in our territory. We pretty much just handed it to the refs and put 7 points on the board for Sparty.

Has there been any news about who is coaching the special teams? Seemed like Els had too much on his plate last year.

A good point brought up at the end of that article is how the Huskers win in spite of themselves and how just a small change in field position or turnovers could translate to more wins. I feel like we're so close to breaking through - so frustratingly close.

I have said this many times it is not all the special teams that were bad last year. Only punt return was completely terrible. That needs to be fixed. Out KO and Kick return were actually pretty good. Our punt team was a little below average, but that is due to our punter being so erratic.

The punt return team needs a complete change in philosophy.

• Fire 2

I have said this many times it is not all the special teams that were bad last year. Only punt return was completely terrible. That needs to be fixed. Out KO and Kick return were actually pretty good. Our punt team was a little below average, but that is due to our punter being so erratic.

:yeah

Absolutely. +1 For kickoff returns we have Kenny Bell ranked 18th in the nation. LINK But for punt returns we don't have anyone in the top 50. LINK Why the disparity?

Seems like on our punt return we neither commit to setting up the return nor commit to going for a blocked kick. Everyone just kinda stands around with their thumbs up their asses.

Didn't we used to use two guys back when we had guys like Dejuan Groce?

Absolutely. +1 For kickoff returns we have Kenny Bell ranked 18th in the nation. LINK But for punt returns we don't have anyone in the top 50. LINK Why the disparity?

Catching a punt and catching a kickoff are completely different things. Being a punt returner is probably the most difficult skill in football.