Actual Spring Practice Updates

Mavric

“We’ve given him the chance to rush kind of in the DeMorrio Williams-type mode a couple days, and I think we found a niche for him to be able to help us as a rusher on third down,” Pelini said. “He can play low, he has good hips. Obiously he’s explosive and fast, and I think that’s an area where he’ll be able to help us and give us tons more juice opposite Randy (Gregory).”

Cornerback Jonathan Rose was back with the ones Saturday after Byerson Cockrell spent at least two days this week with the top unit. Pelini said incoming freshmen could have a big impact on the battle for the fourth cornerback spot behind Josh Mitchell, Cockrell and Rose, with Boaz Joseph in the mix.

–Terrell Newby had what I would say was the strongest day, getting seven carries on one drive with the twos late in the scrimmage. He busted runs of 25 and 30 yards in the drive and finished it with about 70 yards total. He also broke a long run in special teams drills that could have been a touchdown in a live drill.