Boko Haram

So, a good question that the white house is going to have to answer is....how much US military involvement are you willing to commit to this?

Honest answer: not much. Sounds like a job for the UN.

Thanks for an honest answer.

I see a real cry for help that is going to pull at the heart strings of a lot of people. I can see the UN starting to get involved then turn to the US and ask for us to do something.

This is a real tough one for me. The irrational/emotional side of me wants to send in 100k troops and totally demolish any remnants of these animals. The rational side of me says to tell Europe to go fix it. Give outside aid how ever we can and stay out of it as far as we can as far as military.

But...God Damn if that were my daughters.....

Agreed.

So, a good question that the white house is going to have to answer is....how much US military involvement are you willing to commit to this?

I see a real cry for help that is going to pull at the heart strings of a lot of people. I can see the UN starting to get involved then turn to the US and ask for us to do something.

This is a real tough one for me. The irrational/emotional side of me wants to send in 100k troops and totally demolish any remnants of these animals. The rational side of me says to tell Europe to go fix it. Give outside aid how ever we can and stay out of it as far as we can as far as military.

Agree completely. And my answer was meant honestly as well, congress has to support any military intervention.

Agree completely. And my answer was meant honestly as well, congress has to support any military intervention.

But, your answer didn't answer my question. I asked the question as though you had the power to commit troops or not...what would you do? Or...what would you support as an American the President doing with our troops to help?

Simply saying..."ask congress" doesn't answer the question unless you are going to give full support for what ever they do and you really don't have an opinion.

But, your answer didn't answer my question. I asked the question as though you had the power to commit troops or not...what would you do? Or...what would you support as an American the President doing with our troops to help?

Simply saying..."ask congress" doesn't answer the question unless you are going to give full support for what ever they do and you really don't have an opinion.

It would depend on what level of troop activity is being talked about. If we are talking full scale op, then yes. But this is more like a black-op/special-op scenario, and congress typically has no say on that.

It would depend on what level of troop activity is being talked about. If we are talking full scale op, then yes. But this is more like a black-op/special-op scenario, and congress typically has no say on that.

What are you saying "yes" to?

Needing to get congressional approval for a large scale op.

But......would you go to Congress asking for approval of military troops for this if you were President? Would you be trying to discourage Congress to approve of this?

But......would you go to Congress asking for approval of military troops for this if you were President? Would you be trying to discourage Congress to approve of this?

I'm not in favor of a large scale op. Something like this is better handled by special forces. And I don't think any President is asking Congress for those kinds of efforts. Especially as they tend to be time sensitive, and Congress does nothing quickly.

I'm not in favor of a large scale op. Something like this is better handled by special forces. And I don't think any President is asking Congress for those kinds of efforts. Especially as they tend to be time sensitive, and Congress does nothing quickly.

So, you are not in favor nor would us support a large scale op but you are in favor of special forces going in and doing what they do?

So, you are not in favor nor would us support a large scale op but you are in favor of special forces going in and doing what they do?

Correct. Special forces are fine. As by their nature they are for limited involvement. Getting involved in a large scale African effort would be as bad, or worse than anything we saw in the Middle East.

I see it as a real opportunity for the president to show his military might with little repercussions, I mean come on a rescue mission of a bunch of girls about to be sold into slavery and the USA is the helper of the world and not some big mean country pushing other countries around. The only downside is if the Op goes all black hawk down.

• 1 month later...