McKewon: Big Ten quarterbacks, explosiveness and Tommy Armstrong’s room to grow

↑ Silly opinion. I dont really give a damn if Joe Ganz wants to booze it up, he knows the position. Or am I mistaking him with another record setting QB from Nebraska?

You can thank Shawn Watson and his offense for those records. He is the guy that oversaw Ganz's development and had 10+ years coaching the position. He seems to be doing a good job at Louisville. See what happens when an experienced coach gets some talent to work with at QB?

Tell me, Ganz was supposed to be leaving wasn't he? Did he not get any job offers or what was the deal there?

Beck was a head coach who designed offenses at Texas high schools, and served as passing game coordinator at Kansas. He may not have the pro-style QB tutoring pedigree of Watson, but neither does Nebraska run a pro-style offense. I'm not so sure of the assertion that Beck can't coach QBs, particularly for what we do. We're hopefully going to see now in the coming years, with Tommy and Johnny and Darlington and Dillman, what Beck's made of. That group is flush with talent and potential.

I thought Ganz had to leave because he used up his GA allotment. And that Kellogg was coming in to take over. What's the story on that?

I thought Ganz had to leave because he used up his GA allotment. And that Kellogg was coming in to take over. What's the story on that?

I had always heard that was the story as well. Not sure what's changed.

Somebody mentioned in another thread that Ganz was staying now. Landlord maybe? I'll look for it.

You look at yards per pass attempt just like yards per rushing attempt. Getting stuffed at the line is the same as an incompletion.

Getting sacked should be counted against the passing game, not the running game.

Your quarterback should average a little better per pass attempt than your best running back averages per carry .

6.0 per pass attempt isn't great, but it can work just fine with a 6.0 rusher mixing it up.

Cut back on the interceptions and fumbles equally.

It's not hard to see Armstrong bumping his YPA up a yard or so with a freshman season under his belt.

I'm not gonna expect too much from him and I think I'm gonna be happy with the result.

Somebody mentioned in another thread that Ganz was staying now. Landlord maybe? I'll look for it.

I think Joe Ganz is technically still part of the staff until he finishes his graduate studies this month. Then, RKIII will take over his spot on the GA staff.

I think Joe Ganz is technically still part of the staff until he finishes his graduate studies this month. Then, RKIII will take over his spot on the GA staff.

That was they story originally but there were reports around the end of spring ball that RKIII wouldn't be coming on staff because Ganz was going to stay another year.

That was they story originally but there were reports around the end of spring ball that RKIII wouldn't be coming on staff because Ganz was going to stay another year.

I hadn't seen that. I'm fine with him staying, though. He's been a great mentor to all the QBs.

WE DO NOT HAVE A SINGLE PERSON ON STAFF THAT KNOWS HOW TO COACH A QUARTERBACK. Not our head coach, not our OC, there is not a position coach. We have Joe Ganz, who stays out until bar close before an 11 a.m. game.

To the kool-aid drinker that referenced the 90s QB's, they had TO and Turner Gill to lead them. I feel bad for Tommy because he is not being put in a position to succeed. There is a lot of pressure on his shoulders. He needs to be led by someone who has been there, done that, and knows how to lead a team. The QB position is so much more than mechanics and understanding the offense. The fact that we do not have someone on staff with significant experience in this area is baffling to me.

How many QB's had Gill coached before he was hired as QB coach here?

WE DO NOT HAVE A SINGLE PERSON ON STAFF THAT KNOWS HOW TO COACH A QUARTERBACK. Not our head coach, not our OC, there is not a position coach. We have Joe Ganz, who stays out until bar close before an 11 a.m. game.

To the kool-aid drinker that referenced the 90s QB's, they had TO and Turner Gill to lead them. I feel bad for Tommy because he is not being put in a position to succeed. There is a lot of pressure on his shoulders. He needs to be led by someone who has been there, done that, and knows how to lead a team. The QB position is so much more than mechanics and understanding the offense. The fact that we do not have someone on staff with significant experience in this area is baffling to me.

Not sure but TO had coached quite a few.

I believe that Turner Gill, one of the best (if not THE best) quarterbacks to ever grace a Nebraska uniform, was eminently qualified to instruct young quarterbacks in the Nebraska style of play. Gill was on staff permanently as the QB coach. Ganz is not. IMHO, we have a lot of young talent that would benefit greatly from having a dedicated QB coach. We have always seemed to see the need for a RB coach. After all, isn't the development of the QB stable just as if not more important as that of the RB's?

I think Tommy is going to bring in the balance of leadership and talent that the offense has been lacking for a long time at the QB position. This Husker team needs field generals that hold their teammates accountable on both sides of the ball. He may just fill that ticket for us on the offensive side.