White House Rape/Sexual Assault PSA

With convenient timing given yesterday's uncomfortable and slightly alarming discussion on rape in the Game of Thrones thread, the White House published their PSA video to help combat sexual assault and rape in our country.

What do you make of this? Do you think it's necessary, and why or why not? What is the underlying cause that leads people (mostly men) to commit acts like this and what different factors contribute?

Is it necessary? I mean, I guess so since people are still raped. Is in going to help? Seems unlikely, but I doubt it can hurt.

On a similar note, this came out today and is a little shocking.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/05/01/308702112/55-colleges-universities-under-investigation-for-abuse-claims

The Department of Education has released a list of 55 colleges and universities facing investigation under Title IX for their handling of sexual abuse claims.

Releasing the list is described as an unprecedented move. NPR's Brian Naylor says the list "starts at Arizona State University and ends at the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine."

List of Institutions per US Department of Education

Glad to see no Nebraska institutions on the list. Not shocked to see SMU, the bastion of Christian values that it is in the heart of the Bible Belt, on the list. :-|

Glad to see no Nebraska institutions on the list. Not shocked to see UC Berkley, the bastion of Progressive values that it is in the heart of the most Liberal place in America, on the list. :-|

List of Institutions per US Department of Education

Glad to see no Nebraska institutions on the list. Not shocked to see SMU, the bastion of Christian values that it is in the heart of the Bible Belt, on the list. :-|

Glad to see no Nebraska institutions on the list. Not shocked to see UC Berkley, the bastion of Progressive values that it is in the heart of the most Liberal place in America, on the list. :-|

Your own echochamber says you're wrong.

Apparently you didn't get the memo.