BTN Reaches Agreement in NY/NJ Broadcast Area

Mavric

Mark Silverman, president of the Big Ten Network, confirmed Monday that the network had reached deals with Time Warner Cable and Cablevision to broadly distribute its channel to the millions of homes in the market. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Silverman also said he is optimistic that a deal will be reached with the third cable giant -- Comcast -- before the football season.

Full Article

Blowing%2520Money%2520Fast.jpg

Why would Uconn be worse than KU? Both have questionable at best football programs but both have strong traditional basketball programs. With Uconn, you would also be bringing in the top women's basketball program in the country. Connecticut has probably a larger TV market.

I know KU is the fan favorite for Nebraska fans because of our proximity and past history. I would like to see that too. However, why would other's in the conference prefer KU or Uconn?

Why would Uconn be worse than KU? Both have questionable at best football programs but both have strong traditional basketball programs. With Uconn, you would also be bringing in the top women's basketball program in the country. Connecticut has probably a larger TV market.

I know KU is the fan favorite for Nebraska fans because of our proximity and past history. I would like to see that too. However, why would other's in the conference prefer KU or Uconn?

This would just be spit balling on my part but if I am thinking like Delany, here is why I go after KU before UConn.

I think he would do it because there would be a good chance of getting BTN in the KC and/or state of Missouri TV market. Due to the proximity of Lawrence to KC/Missouri. Which would compete head to head with the SEC network with Mizzou being a member.

Bringing in UConn gives you no MAJOR TV draw.

I could be wrong but from a business standpoint, that is my thought.

My own personal reasoning is slightly similar to St. Paul, but for both schools. Delany has stated numerous times that the B1G has no interest in expanding simply for the sake of expanding; there has to be a real good sales pitch involved to bring on additional schools. For Nebraska it was a no-brainer, the conversation before university president vote may have been all of 30 seconds long:"Nebraska is available."

With Rutgers and Maryland it was strictly strategic to sew up the most populated corridor for BTN money; which they seem close to realizing. For either Uconn or Kansas it seems like it would be simply expanding for the sake of expanding. Seriously nothing against either school, and not claiming either would be bad additions, but I would have to be convinced by a solid sales pitch that either makes sense; haven't heard one yet.

This would just be spit balling on my part but if I am thinking like Delany, here is why I go after KU before UConn.

I think he would do it because there would be a good chance of getting BTN in the KC and/or state of Missouri TV market. Due to the proximity of Lawrence to KC/Missouri. Which would compete head to head with the SEC network with Mizzou being a member.

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en/docs/solutions/measurement/television/2013-2014-DMA-Ranks.pdf

Hartford is the #30 tv market. Kansas City is #31. The state of MO outside of the KC area would not watch KU more because they moved to the BIG anymore then when Nebraska moved to the BIG for example. If you want MO in the BIG market, you go after Mizzou.
As for football don't forget both Uconn and KU have played in a BCS bowl more recently than Nebraska. Sure they aren't the national brand like we are but maybe we should actually win something once in a while before we decide who is worthy or not.

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en/docs/solutions/measurement/television/2013-2014-DMA-Ranks.pdf

Hartford is the #30 tv market. Kansas City is #31. The state of MO outside of the KC area would not watch KU more because they moved to the BIG anymore then when Nebraska moved to the BIG for example. If you want MO in the BIG market, you go after Mizzou.
As for football don't forget both Uconn and KU have played in a BCS bowl more recently than Nebraska. Sure they aren't the national brand like we are but maybe we should actually win something once in a while before we decide who is worthy or not.

You are forgetting the St Louis market included with KC. Remember that it doesn't matter who WATCHES the game, it matters how many TV sets get BTN on their basic cable packages.

I am not saying that this is the right way, I am saying that I can see how the thought process could go.

And as far as UConn playing in a BCS game, how many BCS games would Nebraska have played in if they were in the Big East at that time? It's unfair to compare the 2.

You are forgetting the St Louis market included with KC. Remember that it doesn't matter who WATCHES the game, it matters how many TV sets get BTN on their basic cable packages.

I am not saying that this is the right way, I am saying that I can see how the thought process could go.

And as far as UConn playing in a BCS game, how many BCS games would Nebraska have played in if they were in the Big East at that time? It's unfair to compare the 2.

Not getting what St Louis has to do with Kansas City? St Louis has their own Bball team plus Mizzou plus they border IL. I can't imagine there is an overwhelming number of KU fans in St. Louis compared to the other three that would demand the BIG network there. Also by that logic they should already be a BIG city since they border IL. If you want the entire state of MO you need Mizzou, otherwise KU to the BIG would bring in the state of KS plus the KC metro. If you say KU gives you St Louis then UConn would give you both Boston and New York City.

Nebraska in the Big East at that time? Honestly I'm not sure any.

BTW, I'd take both UConn and KU in the BIG but would rather have KU and Mizzou if I could make the call.