New(er) Quote Function

Haha! That's pretty funny. Had to look it up, and it's real.

We don't do that here, though. Sorry to hear that True. I don't have an iPad to test this out on, but I doubt it's a problem on your end. Hopefully, this all gets sorted out before the season starts. We held off upgrading for a while so that we could do it in the offseason -- in anticipation of hiccups like these :)

By the way Huskerboard techies, I know my IPad is a bit out of date, but ever since this whole update thing my Safari app crashes constantly here. It's almost made me not want to bother trying to post here anymore. Which leads me to believe this is probably a deliberate glitch you guys applied to my username only, as a sly way of running me off the board. Knapp has already threatened me multiple times, you guys don't have to be dicks about it.

This post is only half serious. Mainly just the part about Safari crashing. The rest is just BS. Well, the part about Knapp threatening to ban me is not BS, but the rest I was not serious. Unless you guys really are causing my system to crash when I post? Then I would like an explanation.

True, just as a test, try installing the Chrome app on your iPad and give it a go for a bit. Let us know if it is an issue under Chrome. I suspect that this might be due to Safari, actually. What version of IOS is on your iPad?

By the way Huskerboard techies, I know my IPad is a bit out of date, but ever since this whole update thing my Safari app crashes constantly here. It's almost made me not want to bother trying to post here anymore. Which leads me to believe this is probably a deliberate glitch you guys applied to my username only, as a sly way of running me off the board. Knapp has already threatened me multiple times, you guys don't have to be dicks about it.This post is only half serious. Mainly just the part about Safari crashing. The rest is just BS. Well, the part about Knapp threatening to ban me is not BS, but the rest I was not serious. Unless you guys really are causing my system to crash when I post? Then I would like an explanation.

True, just as a test, try installing the Chrome app on your iPad and give it a go for a bit. Let us know if it is an issue under Chrome. I suspect that this might be due to Safari, actually. What version of IOS is on your iPad?

I think my iOS is only 5.1 because as I said its a bit out of date and I have a hard time even finding apps for it anymore. Is my iPad maybe too old? As I said, this only started happening after the recent updates. I will check to see if I can get a version of Chrome on here and give that a shot.

By the way Huskerboard techies, I know my IPad is a bit out of date, but ever since this whole update thing my Safari app crashes constantly here. It's almost made me not want to bother trying to post here anymore. Which leads me to believe this is probably a deliberate glitch you guys applied to my username only, as a sly way of running me off the board. Knapp has already threatened me multiple times, you guys don't have to be dicks about it.This post is only half serious. Mainly just the part about Safari crashing. The rest is just BS. Well, the part about Knapp threatening to ban me is not BS, but the rest I was not serious. Unless you guys really are causing my system to crash when I post? Then I would like an explanation.

I think my iOS is only 5.1 because as I said its a bit out of date and I have a hard time even finding apps for it anymore. Is my iPad maybe too old? As I said, this only started happening after the recent updates. I will check to see if I can get a version of Chrome on here and give that a shot.

I *think* that the version of Safari is older on your iPad - think it's limited by the IOS version. And I suspect that some of the features of the Board software probably utilizes features that would be found in a newer browser versions. I say that because I haven't heard of these kinds of issues for people running Safari under IOS 6.X or 7.X. Problems logging on, but that seems to be a memory issue that can be cured by killing all apps, shutting the device off, and then starting it and trying to log on again. But nothing after a successful login.

I *think* that the version of Safari is older on your iPad - think it's limited by the IOS version. And I suspect that some of the features of the Board software probably utilizes features that would be found in a newer browser versions. I say that because I haven't heard of these kinds of issues for people running Safari under IOS 6.X or 7.X. Problems logging on, but that seems to be a memory issue that can be cured by killing all apps, shutting the device off, and then starting it and trying to log on again. But nothing after a successful login.

Okay. I think you are probably right. Been thinking of upgrading to a newer ipad so I'll just stick it out for awhile. Sometimes it's worse and other times not so bad. I think as the board adds features and other apps are progressing it is making my iPad less and less compatible. I guess that's ow they hook ya into buying the next one. Thanks for the help.

I don't mind using the new quoting system. I sort of like how you can toggle between modes when making a post. But I don't like the appearance of quotes. I don't like how it shows quotes through a little window that you need to scroll up/down in to read. Because generally the one thing you need to read, the post immediately above the current post, is hidden.

The Miserable Users feature LOMS mentioned is hilarious. I don't trust anyone now. :lol:

The scrolly thing is my own addition. It's a cap on the maximum height of a quote block, to make threads easier to read through despite our propensity for having quote-within-quote-within-quote-within-quote posts.

Originally, I had removed the third or fourth quote layer entirely, but that seemed to confuse people. But absolutely, we can keep playing around with the values or remove the quote height limitations entirely if that's causing problems for people.

The scrolly thing is my own addition. It's a cap on the maximum height of a quote block, to make threads easier to read through despite our propensity for having quote-within-quote-within-quote-within-quote posts.

Originally, I had removed the third or fourth quote layer entirely, but that seemed to confuse people. But absolutely, we can keep playing around with the values or remove the quote height limitations entirely if that's causing problems for people.

Oops. Sorry. Maybe just make it so the last quote doesn't scroll, if possible. That would save space, yet allow the last quote to show in it's entirety.

Quite impressive that you coded that yourself Zoogies. That confirms to me that you are a wizard. :lol:

Haha, no problem! It's great when a problem report is something I've done because while it means I probably did something stupid, it's something that can be fixed. I hate the ones that just end up, "Oh well, it's the board and there's nothing we can do."

That's a good idea and I'll try that. So there will be height limits starting with the second level of quote. And maybe still a limit on the first one, just something much higher so we don't really see the scrollbars.

sd'sker, can you elaborate on that?