Husker Camp Countdown

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 37 Joe Keels
BY JON NYATAWA / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:07 AM, MONDAY, JUL. 7
From now until the start of fall camp, The World-Herald will be counting down the top 50 players you need to know heading into the 2014 football season.
Joe Keels | 6-3 | 250 | junior | defensive end
The spring was difficult for Keels, who struggled to hold onto his second-team spot during his first semester at Nebraska. But given his play-making reputation at Highland (Kansas) Community College, Keels will get plenty of practice reps during preseason camp. LINK

Somebody's gonna need to step up opposite Gregory. Maybe this guy. Who knows?

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 36 Adam Taylor

POSTED: TUESDAY, JULY 8, 2014 8:00 AM By Jon Nyatawa / World-Herald staff writer

From now until the start of fall camp, The World-Herald will be counting down the top 50 players you need to know heading into the 2014 football season.

Adam Taylor | 6-2 | 210 pounds | RFr. | I-back

He chose to redshirt a year ago, willingly accepting a year on the sidelines to better prepare himself to reach his potential. Now he gets to see if all the behind-the-scenes work has paid off.

LINK

This is a guy we haven't seen in a year, and I think we've forgotten just how great he is. I have a feeling he could be our next great Husker running back. Way different size and running style than Ameer. Perhaps—dare I say it?—more like LP.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 35 Kevin Williams

BY RICH KAIPUST / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, WEDNESDAY, JUL. 9

Kevin Williams | 6-2 | 275 | Jr. | Defensive Tackle

Few on the roster have endured the same hard luck as Williams, who has suffered a pair of major knee injuries since arriving in Lincoln. That has limited him to five games, all as a redshirt freshman in 2012.

The NU staff eased Williams back into action during spring practice. He said he felt good as he started going through contact drills during the final two weeks.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 34 Marcus Newby

BY RICH KAIPUST / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, THURSDAY, JUL. 10

Marcus Newby | 6-1 | 215 | RFr. | Linebacker

The immediate value of Newby might be in the pass-rushing role, where the Huskers first tried him during spring practice. Coach Bo Pelini called Newby “explosive and fast,” and referenced the mode in which the Huskers used Demorrio Williams in 2003, when Pelini was defensive coordinator.

The other value? Nebraska could be thin at defensive end unless a newcomer or two is ready to help right away.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 33 Sam Cotton

BY RICH KAIPUST / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, FRIDAY, JUL. 11

Sam Cotton | 6-4 | 250 | So. | Tight End

He played in 10 games last season and caught three passes, including a short touchdown at Minnesota. The Huskers could use more production from their tight ends in the passing game next season, considering the position dropped from 48 receptions in 2012 to 21 in 2013.

They should also be expecting more from Cethan Carter and Cotton simply because they are now sophomores with the experience they didn’t have a year ago.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 32 Mark Pelini

BY RICH KAIPUST / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, SATURDAY, JUL. 12

Mark Pelini | 6-0 | 290 | Sr. | Center

The two-time Academic All-Big Ten pick is lauded for his knowledge of the offense, but the former walk-on has been a surprising contributor the last two seasons.

Pelini started two games at center and played in all 13 last fall. He also played in seven as a sophomore in 2012.

LINK

#32 seems a little low for a guy who started a couple games and played in every game last year. Reeves had a lot of pub coming out of high school so if he can begin to live up to it he might take the spot from Pelini but I still thought Pelini would be higher.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 31 Nathan Gerry

BY RICH KAIPUST / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, SUNDAY, JUL. 13

Nathan Gerry | 6-2 | 210 | So. | Safety

Gerry was visibly pleased throughout spring practice by his move to safety, going back to what he considered his more natural position.

Gerry brings good size and speed to the position, and both he and LeRoy Alexander benefited greatly from full-time reps with the No. 1 defense in spring practice while returning starter Corey Cooper was out.

LINK

Another guy who I thought might be a little higher on the list. Maybe we're just getting pretty good depth all over the team. :koolaid2:

I think Gerry will be in the mix from the first game and get more snaps as the years goes on. Game-changing play-maker.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 30 Byerson Cockrell

BY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, MONDAY, JUL. 14

Byerson Cockrell | 6-0 | 185 | Jr. | Cornerback

One of the few junior college recruits in the 2014 class, Cockrell enrolled early and made an impression in the spring with his acceleration and aggressive tackling ability.

Cockrell fits the Husker profile of a cover corner, and will battle for a starting job with Jonathan Rose and Daniel Davie.

LINK

One of the few junior college recruits in the 2014 class, Cockrell enrolled early and made an impression in the spring with his acceleration and aggressive tackling ability.

Cockrell fits the Husker profile of a cover corner, and will battle for a starting job with Jonathan Rose and Daniel Davie.

LINK

Isn't Charles Jackson in the mix for CB? I thought the spot opposite Mitchell would come down to Jackson and Cockrell. With Jonathan Rose and Daniel Davie battling for #3. Or does Jackson just come in on nickel situations?

LINK

Isn't Charles Jackson in the mix for CB? I thought the spot opposite Mitchell would come down to Jackson and Cockrell. With Jonathan Rose and Daniel Davie battling for #3. Or does Jackson just come in on nickel situations?

That's been my understanding, that he will play specifically the nickel back...excited to see what he brings, he is a heck of an athlete.

That's been my understanding, that he will play specifically the nickel back...excited to see what he brings, he is a heck of an athlete.

Yeah, Jackson and Cockrell started Spring Ball at Nickel but apparently Jackson took over pretty quickly. They may still use Cockrell at Nickel but right now it's between Cockrell and Rose for the starting CB spot opposite Mitchell.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 29 Ryne Reeves

BY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, TUESDAY, JUL. 15

Ryne Reeves | 6-3 | 300 | Jr. | Center

Reeves will spend fall camp in a position battle with senior Mark Pelini for the starting center job. If healthy — the injury bug has bitten this Crete native often — Reeves stands a good chance of finally cracking the lineup.

He’s bigger than Pelini and looks to have more power on his push. Pelini is smart and knows all the line calls, but Reeves has been on the Huskers’ offensive line for four years, and has plenty of experience.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 28 Josh Banderas

BY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, WEDNESDAY, JUL. 16

Josh Banderas | 6-2 | 235 | So. | Linebacker

Probably Nebraska’s most athletically gifted linebacker, Banderas is big enough to fill a hole and crack a big running back and, more importantly, fast enough to cover tight ends and running backs step-for-step downfield. Coach Bo Pelini loves Banderas’ versatility and playmaking ability.

The question is: What position does he fit? Is “Bando” a natural middle linebacker, or better suited for the strong side, where he can mark tight ends? Nebraska wants to find a place for him, and Banderas, after a 28-tackle freshman campaign, should fit somewhere.

LINK

I really didn't think there would be 27 guys ahead of Bando on this list. Curiouser and curiouser.....

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 27 Aaron Curry

BY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, THURSDAY, JUL. 17

Aaron Curry | 6-1 | 280 | Jr. | Defensive Tackle

While battling occasional injuries, Curry started eight games last year and tallied 26 tackles, three tackles for loss and two sacks. We project he’ll be a valued backup in 2014 — the development of Maliek Collins is the reason — but Curry will get the same amount of playing time.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 28 Josh Banderas

BY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, WEDNESDAY, JUL. 16

Josh Banderas | 6-2 | 235 | So. | Linebacker

Probably Nebraska’s most athletically gifted linebacker, Banderas is big enough to fill a hole and crack a big running back and, more importantly, fast enough to cover tight ends and running backs step-for-step downfield. Coach Bo Pelini loves Banderas’ versatility and playmaking ability.

The question is: What position does he fit? Is “Bando” a natural middle linebacker, or better suited for the strong side, where he can mark tight ends? Nebraska wants to find a place for him, and Banderas, after a 28-tackle freshman campaign, should fit somewhere.

LINK

I really didn't think there would be 27 guys ahead of Bando on this list. Curiouser and curiouser.....

He rode his new bicycle to the back of the pack.

:lol:

• Fire 2