Husker Camp Countdown

I REALLY like Collins and VV as our base DTs. Collins is a great get for us - lightly recruited (the farthest-away school to offer him was Iowa) and he was already in the rotation as a RSFr. Now, not only is he drawing rave reviews at DT he's also athletic enough to get reps at DE. Pretty sure this will be easily our best line since 2010 and probably only eclipsed by 2009 - and I'm not sure even that will be by much. Nobody to replicate Suh but the three spots will be as good or better.

• Fire 1

I REALLY like Collins and VV as our base DTs. Collins is a great get for us - lightly recruited (the farthest-away school to offer him was Iowa) and he was already in the rotation as a RSFr. Now, not only is he drawing rave reviews at DT he's also athletic enough to get reps at DE. Pretty sure this will be easily our best line since 2010 and probably only eclipsed by 2009 - and I'm not sure even that will be by much. Nobody to replicate Suh but the three spots will be as good or better.

Collins was a true frosh not redshirt frosh, which makes it even more impressive. VV was a redshift. Could be scary the next couple years.

• Fire 1

Collins was a true frosh not redshirt frosh, which makes it even more impressive. VV was a redshift. WILL be scary the next couple years.

Fixed that one for ya.

I also like Curry and Gangwish to be involved quite a bit. Also, I agree, and say without a doubt this will be the best defensive line, and probably best front seven we've seen under Bo Pelini.

I also like Curry and Gangwish to be involved quite a bit. Also, I agree, and say without a doubt this will be the best defensive line, and probably best front seven we've seen under Bo Pelini.

I agree that we have some very capable backups as well. Just went with the (probable) starters in my post.

Curry and Maurice along with Williams if he can get healthy is a good stable of DTs. Plus Newby as a change-of-pace at DE.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 13 LeRoy Alexander

BY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, THURSDAY, JUL. 31

LeRoy Alexander | 6-0 | 195 | So. | Safety

An unheralded recruit coming out of Toledo, Ohio, Alexander posted 34 tackles at safety last year, quickly becoming one of the top athletes on defense.

While he’ll compete for playing time with another top athlete, sophomore Nate Gerry, Alexander appeared stronger in pass coverage last year and no less willing to hit somebody in run support.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 13 LeRoy Alexander

BY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, THURSDAY, JUL. 31

LeRoy Alexander | 6-0 | 195 | So. | Safety

An unheralded recruit coming out of Toledo, Ohio, Alexander posted 34 tackles at safety last year, quickly becoming one of the top athletes on defense.

While he’ll compete for playing time with another top athlete, sophomore Nate Gerry, Alexander appeared stronger in pass coverage last year and no less willing to hit somebody in run support.

LINK

He's a huge hitter. This is that hit Alexander had in the Gator Bowl. He ended up getting hurt, and was tagged with a 15 yd penalty. I've watched that hit on the Dawg player 50 times and I still don't think it's targeting. LINK

He's a huge hitter. This is that hit Alexander had in the Gator Bowl. He ended up getting hurt, and was tagged with a 15 yd penalty. I've watched that hit on the Dawg player 50 times and I still don't think it's targeting. LINK

Just ask Ed Cunningham, he'll explain it to you. :lol:

Actually, I think they ended up changing it to a personal foul instead of actual targeting.

Just ask Ed Cunningham, he'll explain it to you. :lol:

Actually, I think they ended up changing it to a personal foul instead of actual targeting.

Ha ha! Yeah, while I was posting that link I had to resist making a comment about Ed Cunningham. He goes on and on about targeting. But when they invite the former ref to comment on the play he says that he's not sure it's targeting at all since the receiver ducked his head just before the hit. That Ed Cunningham is a real tool. Why in the wide world of sports does he always have to announce our games. I'd rather have any other announcer in the booth other than that jackass.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 12 Michael Rose

POSTED: FRIDAY, AUGUST 1, 2014 8:00 AM By Sam McKewon / World-Herald staff writer

From now until fall camp, The World-Herald will be counting down the top 50 players you need to know heading into the 2014 football season.
Michael Rose | 5-11 | 240 | sophomore | linebacker
No Husker freshman ever made as many tackles as Rose, who had 66 while playing middle linebacker last year.

This guy is money! A tackling machine.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 11 Vincent Valentine
BY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:08 AM, SATURDAY, AUG. 2
The World-Herald will be counting down the top 50 players you need to know heading into the 2014 football season.
Vincent Valentine | 6-3 | 320 | sophomore | defensive tackle
There weren’t many bright spots in Nebraska’s 38-17 loss to Iowa last year, but one was the play of Valentine, one of the biggest defensive linemen coach Bo Pelini ever recruited.
Valentine had five tackles against Iowa, including two for a loss and a sack. That stretch offered a glimpse

I think VV was just scratching the surface of his potential last season. I expect big things from him. The guy could be a dominant force in the middle for the next couple years.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 10 Alex Lewis

BY JON NYATAWA / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, SUNDAY, AUG. 3

Alex Lewis | 6-6 | 290 | Jr. | Offensive Tackle

It didn’t take long for Lewis to make an impression in spring practice. The Colorado transfer brought intensity and passion every day, unafraid to bang and battle with top Husker defensive players — including Randy Gregory.

LINK

Love the fire and - as it sounds - skill he brings. Clearing the road for AA and crew.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 9 Charles Jackson

Charles Jackson | 5-11 | 180 | junior | DB

One of the most athletic Huskers and a guy who’s never backed away from contact, Jackson has always been a playmaker in practice — blowing up ball carriers, jarring the football loose and flying around. Just not consistently enough.

Link.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 8 Zaire Anderson

BY JON NYATAWA / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, TUESDAY, AUG. 5

Zaire Anderson | 5-11 | 220 | Sr. | Linebacker

Anderson has seemed to emerge as the team’s top linebacker after a productive spring. He’s likely to start somewhere, perhaps on the weakside of Nebraska’s defense. But nothing is guaranteed in a position group where the top candidates for playing time all have similar experience.

LINK