Husker Camp Countdown

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 28 Josh Banderas

BY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, WEDNESDAY, JUL. 16

Josh Banderas | 6-2 | 235 | So. | Linebacker

Probably Nebraska’s most athletically gifted linebacker, Banderas is big enough to fill a hole and crack a big running back and, more importantly, fast enough to cover tight ends and running backs step-for-step downfield. Coach Bo Pelini loves Banderas’ versatility and playmaking ability.

The question is: What position does he fit? Is “Bando” a natural middle linebacker, or better suited for the strong side, where he can mark tight ends? Nebraska wants to find a place for him, and Banderas, after a 28-tackle freshman campaign, should fit somewhere.

LINK

I really didn't think there would be 27 guys ahead of Bando on this list. Curiouser and curiouser.....

Disclaimer: Self-admitted Bando hater.

1) Laughably false. I was in shock when I read 'most athletically gifted'.

2) Are you serious? He got burned so many damn times it wasn't even funny. Some day I'm going to go back through last years games and find it.

3) Personally, I thought there would be more...

I dunno. Never, ever impressed me when he was on the field. And, with off the field issues on top of (IMO) mediocre play, I don't have a very high regard for him. In the sake of being constructive, anyone have other opinions?

• Fire 1

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 28 Josh Banderas

BY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, WEDNESDAY, JUL. 16

Josh Banderas | 6-2 | 235 | So. | Linebacker

Probably Nebraska’s most athletically gifted linebacker, Banderas is big enough to fill a hole and crack a big running back and, more importantly, fast enough to cover tight ends and running backs step-for-step downfield. Coach Bo Pelini loves Banderas’ versatility and playmaking ability.

The question is: What position does he fit? Is “Bando” a natural middle linebacker, or better suited for the strong side, where he can mark tight ends? Nebraska wants to find a place for him, and Banderas, after a 28-tackle freshman campaign, should fit somewhere.

LINK

I really didn't think there would be 27 guys ahead of Bando on this list. Curiouser and curiouser.....

Disclaimer: Self-admitted Bando hater.

1) Laughably false. I was in shock when I read 'most athletically gifted'.

2) Are you serious? He got burned so many damn times it wasn't even funny. Some day I'm going to go back through last years games and find it.

3) Personally, I thought there would be more...

I dunno. Never, ever impressed me when he was on the field. And, with off the field issues on top of (IMO) mediocre play, I don't have a very high regard for him. In the sake of being constructive, anyone have other opinions?

I think you are remembering too much from a couple plays here and there. I agree that he doesn't *look* very fast but i think that's because he looks so big. I remember several reports of how fast he was from last year. Tried to look for a couple but couldn't find them. But he won the Class A 110 Hurdles as a Junior and got second in the 300 hurdles. Doesn't make him a burner but that's pretty fast and agile for a guy that size.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 26 Terrell Newby

BY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, FRIDAY, JUL. 18

Terrell Newby | 5-10 | 200 | So. | Running Back

In the rush to praise big back Adam Taylor’s skill set, some forgot about the other highly-touted back who arrived with Taylor in the 2013 class. That was a mistake, since Newby had the better spring between the two and rushed for 298 yards as a true freshman.

Newby is short and compact, like Ameer Abdullah. He’s faster than Abdullah but not quite as wiggly or quick. He showed this spring a greater willingness to punch holes between the tackles, and when Newby bounced a run to the edge, he wasn’t easy to catch.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 47 Ryker Fyfe

POSTED: FRIDAY, JUNE 27, 2014 8:00 AM By Sam McKewon / World-Herald staff writer

Ryker Fyfe | 6-2 | 210 pounds | So. | Quarterback

Fyfe needs to win the backup job over scholarship redshirt freshman Johnny Stanton first. And he just might; in spring camp, Fyfe proved adept at running the zone read and managing the short passing game that offensive coordinator Tim Beck needs to work.

Fyfe is also a skilled thrower on the run. He doesn’t stretch the field as well as Tommy Armstrong, and he’s not quite as physical a runner like Stanton. But Fyfe is ahead of where Kellogg was at this stage in his career.

LINK

Is he really 210 lbs? Looks lighter to me. Also, he looks faster than the 4.8 forty they list for him in Rivals.

I think he keep his gear on for that weigh-in

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 25 Sam Burtch

BY JON NYATAWA / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, SATURDAY, JUL. 19

Sam Burtch | 6-3 | 200 | Jr. | Wide Receiver

Another walk-on success story to add to Nebraska’s archives. It wasn’t until hours before signing day that Burtch got an offer to join the program, and three years later the Elmwood-Murdock product has earned a scholarship and a spot in the Huskers’ top receiver rotation.

He’s a well-rounded receiver, trusted in any scenario. Teammates say he’s one of the squad’s hardest workers, too.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 24 Jonathan Rose

BY JON NYATAWA / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, SUNDAY, JUL. 20

Jonathan Rose | 6-1 | 195 | Jr. | Cornerback

It could be a breakout year for the junior who began his collegiate career at Auburn. He’s spent the past two seasons adjusting to Nebraska, learning the defensive system and getting ready for the moment when he’s called on.

And now that two veterans who hardly ever came off the field last year — Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Ciante Evans — aren’t around to eat up Rose’s potential in-game minutes, this could be it.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 23 Givens Price

POSTED: MONDAY, JULY 21, 2014 8:00 AM By Jon Nyatawa / World-Herald staff writer
From now until the start of fall camp, The World-Herald will be counting down the top 50 players you need to know heading into the 2014 football season.
Givens Price | 6-4 | 310 | junior | guard
When he joined the Nebraska football team in the summer of 2011, Price was 16 years old. So he had some room to grow.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 22 Taariq Allen

POSTED: TUESDAY, JULY 22, 2014 8:00 AM By Jon Nyatawa / World-Herald staff writer
From now until the start of fall camp, The World-Herald will be counting down the top 50 players you need to know heading into the 2014 football season.
Taariq Allen | 6-foot-3 | 200 pounds | Jr. | Receiver
No Husker receiver hauled in as many highlight-reel catches as Allen during spring ball. Whether he was out-jumping defenders for lob balls, absorbing contact on catches over the middle or snatching throws a tad off line with just one hand, Allen made some spectacular plays.

This guy could be a star for us. He's got all the skills and athletic ability to be a Sunday player. Someday.

I really like the last two entries on this list. When Givens Price came in as part of a highly touted O-line class, he was the undersized youngster of the bunch. You had to know it would take a couple years of growth before we actually saw him. Now he's 310, he's still on the team (after a couple others from that class left) and now I really hope to see good things from him. The reason he was so young was because he skipped a grade as a kid. He's smart as hell, and we need kids like that on the line. NU has a proud tradition of having smarties on the offensive line.

We should all be rooting hard for Taariq Allen. His injury a couple years ago looked like a career ender. If he is able to play at 100% and can excel among so many other talented wideouts, it will be great to see.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 21 Mike Moudy

BY JON NYATAWA / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, WEDNESDAY, JUL. 23

Mike Moudy | 6-5 | 305 | Sr. | Offensive Guard

Moudy filled in admirably at right guard after All-American Spencer Long suffered a season-ending knee injury last year. But Moudy was soon sidelined with a shoulder injury. He also missed all of spring ball.

A couple tough breaks for him, but Moudy should be back to full strength this fall, and he’ll presumably be a key member of Nebraska’s offensive line again. He can play either guard position, though he’s expected to compete with Givens Price for the top right guard spot. His versatility will likely come in handy.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 20 Jordan Westerkamp

BY RICH KAIPUST / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, THURSDAY, JUL. 24

Jordan Westerkamp | 6-0 | 195 | So. | Wide Receiver

The most prolific receiver in the history of Illinois high school football got his first chance as a redshirt freshman last season and produced 20 receptions, including a season-high five at Penn State. The most memorable of his plays, of course, was the clutching of a tipped Hail Mary pass that turned into a 49-yard touchdown to beat Northwestern.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 19 David Santos

BY RICH KAIPUST / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, FRIDAY, JUL. 25

David Santos | 6-0 | 225 | Jr. | Linebacker

With 26 games and 11 starts behind him, Santos can be counted on for his experience as well as his versatility.

He went from middle to weakside linebacker last season as the NU staff deemed it a better fit, and he might be targeted for strongside (buck) if Michael Rose and Zaire Anderson fill the other two positions.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 18 Zach Sterup

BY RICH KAIPUST / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, SATURDAY, JUL. 26

Zach Sterup | 6-8 | 320 | Jr. | Offensive Tackle

Sterup spent all spring as the No. 1 right tackle as transfer Alex Lewis started taking over on the left side. Lack of experience isn’t a major concern. Line injuries led to Sterup playing significant snaps last November, and he appeared in 11 games as a sophomore.

LINK