Husker Camp Countdown

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 46 Johnny Stanton

BY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:06 AM, SATURDAY, JUN. 28

Johnny Stanton | 6-2 | 225 | RFr. | Quarterback

When this power-running signal-caller knew where he was supposed to throw the ball in spring camp, good things happened. Really good things.

LINK

I hope Pelini will play this guy some and let him get some experience. Just a series or two per game. Would mean all the difference in the world in a couple of years.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 46 Johnny Stanton

BY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:06 AM, SATURDAY, JUN. 28

When this power-running signal-caller knew where he was supposed to throw the ball in spring camp, good things happened. Really good things.

LINK

I hope Pelini will play this guy some and let him get some experience. Just a series or two per game. Would mean all the difference in the world in a couple of years.

I hope the 2nd string QB is only playing because we are up by 3 scores at the end of games. I know the 2nd string QB is the most popular player on the team, but unless there is no separation between 1st and 2nd, how many teams let the 2nd string play when a game is still in doubt?

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 46 Johnny StantonBY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:06 AM, SATURDAY, JUN. 28

LINK

I hope the 2nd string QB is only playing because we are up by 3 scores at the end of games. I know the 2nd string QB is the most popular player on the team, but unless there is no separation between 1st and 2nd, how many teams let the 2nd string play when a game is still in doubt?
. Exactly. The non conference schedule is prime time for Armstrong and Stanton to gain experience. If nothing else, you would think last season taught these coaches the value of playing time and experience for backup QB's. When Taylor went down, we had nobody with significant time behind him. So as you said, if we are up big, Stanton should be seeing reps.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 46 Johnny StantonBY SAM MCKEWON / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:06 AM, SATURDAY, JUN. 28

LINK

. Exactly. The non conference schedule is prime time for Armstrong and Stanton to gain experience. If nothing else, you would think last season taught these coaches the value of playing time and experience for backup QB's. When Taylor went down, we had nobody with significant time behind him. So as you said, if we are up big, Stanton should be seeing reps.

I'm supportive of Pelini, but unfortunately that's one thing he is not good at. That is, he is not good at getting the #2 guy in there for reps. I personally think a coach should try to get #2 in there for a series or so. Even in big games. The differential in skill that's given up would be at least partially offset by having the #1 on the sidelines talking with Beck while watching the other team's defense. JMHO.

• Fire 1

LINK

I'm supportive of Pelini, but unfortunately that's one thing he is not good at. That is, he is not good at getting the #2 guy in there for reps. I personally think a coach should try to get #2 in there for a series or so. Even in big games. The differential in skill that's given up would be at least partially offset by having the #1 on the sidelines talking with Beck while watching the other team's defense. JMHO.

In comparison to other schools, Nebraska is right on par. And nobody puts the #2 guy in for big games unless the #1 is hurt (or you're spurrier).

• Fire 1

In comparison to other schools, Nebraska is right on par. And nobody puts the #2 guy in for big games unless the #1 is hurt (or you're spurrier).

One guy that does it is Gary Pinkel. I think he's a mediocre coach at best. But putting in the #2 guy for a series or two is one thing he's good at. Also good at getting DWIs. lol

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 45 Mauro Bondi

BY RICH KAIPUST / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, SUNDAY, JUN. 29

Mauro Bondi | 6-0 | 205 | Jr. | Kicker

Bondi was a backup for one season and redshirt for another when NU had Brett Maher, then saw transfer Pat Smith snatch the job a year ago. Now the Huskers add Drew Brown, brother of former NU standout Kris Brown.

Bondi didn’t help himself in the spring game, when he missed a short field goal and extra point. He did, however, register a Big Ten-best 48 touchbacks on kickoffs last season.

LINK

Is Brown still to come on this list......

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 44 Drew Brown

Drew Brown | 5-11 | 170 | Fr. | Place-kicker

Things changed after Brown’s signing in February when Nebraska’s returning kickers struggled with consistency in spring practice and had some bad misses in the Red-White scrimmage.

NU coach Bo Pelini said afterward that he expects Brown to challenge when preseason practice starts.

Brown made 35 of 42 field goals in his final three seasons at Carroll High in Southlake, Texas, including a 51-yarder as a senior. Older brother Kris still ranks second at NU in career scoring with 388 points (1995-98).

Link

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 43 Alonzo Moore

BY RICH KAIPUST / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, MONDAY, JUL. 1

Alonzo Moore | 6-2 | 185 | So. | Wide Receiver

Step one for Moore will be staying healthy after his redshirt freshman season was cut short by a knee injury and he missed spring practice due to shoulder surgery.

The Louisianan did show some flashes last season, however, including a four-catch game against Northwestern. And there will be an opportunity as Nebraska looks for the right pieces behind its top returning receivers. Moore also can help the Huskers in the return game, getting a taste last season when he averaged 23.2 yards on five kickoff returns.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 42 Andy Janovich

BY RICH KAIPUST / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, WEDNESDAY, JUL. 2

Andy Janovich | 6-1 | 230 | Jr. | Fullback

Not much there yet as far as statistics, but the hard-knocking Janovich already has built up quite a bit of experience by playing in 24 games and contributing regularly on some special teams. Played as a true freshman in 2012 as a walk-on, then was put on scholarship before last season.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 41 Trevor Roach
BY RICH KAIPUST / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:07 AM, THURSDAY, JUL. 3
Trevor Roach | 6-2 | 235 pounds | Sr. | Linebacker
It was easy to temporarily forget about Roach last season as excitement grew around a promising group of underclassmen at linebacker and he wasn’t around to contribute.

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 40 Kevin Maurice

BY JON NYATAWA / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 06:10 PM, FRIDAY, JUL. 4

Kevin Maurice | 6-3 | 280 | So. | Defensive Tackle

Maurice was initially presumed to be a developmental project, given that he was an under-the-radar recruit in the talent-rich state of Florida. But he ended up making an impact immediately, playing in the season’s first six games.

He’s a bit undersized — at least compared to some of the teammates (like Maliek Collins and Vincent Valentine) who he’ll be competing with for playing time this fall. But Rick Kaczenski has specialized in coaching guys like Maurice.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 39 Sam Foltz

BY JON NYATAWA / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, SATURDAY, JUL. 5

Sam Foltz | 6-1 | 205 | So. | Punter

The hang time of Foltz’s punts. That’s initially what stood out to the Nebraska coaches when they started evaluating him as a punter. He has power in his kicking leg, and plenty of raw talent.

The challenge for him is to find consistency — which isn’t all that surprising for a young player who suddenly jumped into a pressure-filled role. He had 15 punts go 50 yards or farther last season, but the remaining 56 others brought down his average distance to 41.6. He did have 20 kicks downed inside the opponent’s 20-yard line.

LINK

Husker Camp Countdown: No. 38 Brandon Reilly

BY JON NYATAWA / WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER / 08:00 AM, SUNDAY, JUL. 6

Brandon Reilly | 6-1 | 195 | So. | Wide Receiver

The Lincoln Southwest graduate might be the fastest receiver on the team, which gives him a good shot at earning playing time. He’s quick off the line, so he’s typically tough to jam. His acceleration allows him to gain immediate separation, which is why he seemed to have some success running slants and inside dig routes during several spring practices. He could be a recipient of those receiver screen plays that Nebraska regularly runs, too.

LINK