Privatization of Prisons, Probation, and Police

I think this is a serious topic that doesn't get enough attention nationally. Here are a couple of articles I find disturbing.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/27/business/in-prisons-sky-high-phone-rates-and-money-transfer-fees.html?referrer=&_r=0

It is a lucrative proposition, in part because these companies often operate beyond the reach of regulations that protect ordinary consumers. Inmates say they are being gouged by high costs and hidden fees. Friends and families say they have little choice but to shoulder the financial burden.

But private enterprises are not the only ones profiting. Eager to reduce costs and bolster dwindling budgets, states, counties and cities are seeking a substantial cut in return for letting the businesses into prisons, a review of dozens of contracts by The New York Times found. In Baldwin County, Ala., for instance, the sheriff’s department collects 84 percent of the gross revenue from calls at the county jail. A Texas company has guaranteed the county at least $55 a month per inmate, according to a copy of the contract.

Similar stories are playing out in places like the Emanuel Women’s Facility in Swainsboro, Ga.; MacDougall Correctional Institution in Ridgefield, S.C.; and the New Jersey State Prison in Trenton, The Times found. Some corrections departments use the commissions to provide services, said Steve Gehrke, a spokesman for the Washington State Department of Corrections. In Washington State, all commissions go toward compensating victims and improving services like libraries.

But even some industry executives see problems with the current setup, saying the commission system encourages providers to charge inmates more, not less, for services. Companies often win contracts based on how much they will offer states via commissions, rather than the rates they charge inmates.

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/24/14653300-cash-register-justice-private-probation-services-face-legal-counterattackbill

In most cases, the system works like this: A person is issued a summons for a relatively minor crime, such as speeding, driving with a suspended license or public intoxication. Upon conviction, those who can pay the fine at once usually are done with the Georgia justice system. But in Richmond County, where Census data show nearly a quarter of its population of about 200,000 live in poverty, and others, many cannot pay in full.

Those who can’t are put on private probation. For an additional monthly fee of between $25 and $45, they can pay the fine over the duration of their probation term.

Probationers may also find themselves responsible for additional costs, such as a one-time “start-up” fee of $15, a daily fee of $7 to $12 for electronic monitoring, a $25 photo fee required for DUI convictions, among others.

Adding to the cost, defendants in Georgia must pay $50 to the court to apply for a public defender, though the judge can waive the fee if a defendant is unable to pay.

Under Georgia law, an indigent person cannot be jailed for inability to pay a fine, unless the refusal is willful. But critics say neither courts nor probation companies make an effort to determine ability to pay. Instead, they say, companies routinely use the threat of jail against probationers for failing to pay not only court fines, but the private fees generated by what is known as “offender-funded supervision.”

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/01/19/shielded-from-the-public.html

More than 800 privately employed police officers in Ohio are authorized by the state to carry handguns, use deadly force and detain, search and arrest people. 

Yet state law allows the officers and their private-sector employers to keep arrest and incident reports secret, even from those they arrest and crime victims. 

And the public is not permitted to check the officers’ background or conduct records, including their use-of-force and discipline histories.

Those who can’t are put on private probation. For an additional monthly fee of between $25 and $45, they can pay the fine over the duration of their probation term.

Probationers may also find themselves responsible for additional costs, such as a one-time “start-up” fee of $15, a daily fee of $7 to $12 for electronic monitoring, a $25 photo fee required for DUI convictions, among others.

Adding to the cost, defendants in Georgia must pay $50 to the court to apply for a public defender, though the judge can waive the fee if a defendant is unable to pay.

Under Georgia law, an indigent person cannot be jailed for inability to pay a fine, unless the refusal is willful. But critics say neither courts nor probation companies make an effort to determine ability to pay. Instead, they say, companies routinely use the threat of jail against probationers for failing to pay not only court fines, but the private fees generated by what is known as “offender-funded supervision.”

Add a zero to those numbers and you're a student at UNL.

• 4 weeks later...

I think a lot of this issue boils down to what you believe the goals of a prison should be. I don't think a lot of people believe prisons should provide rehabilitation to prisoners (at least not on their dollar). To most, prisoners are people who have already messed up in life by breaking the law. Why should we (law abiding citizens) have to pay to take care of these people?

I bet we could save more money in the long run by investing in effective rehabilitative therapy for prisoners than we will by privatizing prisons. High recidivism rates keeps more people in prison. More people in prison means more money to take care of those people. Cutting down on recidivism rates would mean fewer people in prison and less money to the taxpayers.

But, like with so many other issues today, we're just looking to take the lazy, easy, and wrong way out.

In response to John Oliver's statement that we have more people in prison than China, what are China's laws regarding capital punishment or prison sentences in general. Meaning, is the reason why China has fewer people in prison because executions are handled faster there than here? Or is it a 50 year sentence for dealing heroin?

My biggest concern with the privatization of prisons isn't the well-being of prisoners (as long as they keep them alive and healthy, I really don't care), it's the enormous conflict of interest that prison companies would be able to help elect the same officials that then make the calls on who gets what contract for how much. I have the same issue with public employee unions, construction contractors (though there's not much to be done about that) and so on. It just smells like a fleecing of the taxpayers waiting to happen.

My biggest concern with the privatization of prisons isn't the well-being of prisoners (as long as they keep them alive and healthy, I really don't care), it's the enormous conflict of interest that prison companies would be able to help elect the same officials that then make the calls on who gets what contract for how much. I have the same issue with public employee unions, construction contractors (though there's not much to be done about that) and so on. It just smells like a fleecing of the taxpayers waiting to happen.

They could also line the pockets of judges that are seeking re-election so that the judge implements harsher penalties so that the "private" prison keeps the rooms full.

My biggest concern with the privatization of prisons isn't the well-being of prisoners (as long as they keep them alive and healthy, I really don't care)

Yea, who really cares? Right? It's not like they are human beings that could potentially be rehabilitated or counseled to quit using drugs. Instead, let's make sure they exit prison more hardened criminals than they were when they went in.

My biggest concern with the privatization of prisons isn't the well-being of prisoners (as long as they keep them alive and healthy, I really don't care)

Yea, who really cares? Right? It's not like they are human beings that could potentially be rehabilitated or counseled to quit using drugs. Instead, let's make sure they exit prison more hardened criminals than they were when they went in.

Our publicly operated prisons are doing a perfectly fine job of that already.

It's a 2 way street. They have to want to be rehabilitated.

It's a 2 way street. They have to want to be rehabilitated.

Sure. But doesn't that mean there has to be a rehabilitation option for them to take?

The conversation about prisons obviously has to start with sentencing. America is an idiotic country when it comes to what we think of as 'crime,' particularly 'crimes' that involve someone sitting on their couch with a needle in their arm dead to the world or handing off an eighth of weed to their roommate (drug trafficking). I think Oliver read the stat: 50% of the prison population are nonviolent drug offenders. If you put someone in prison, you've effectively destroyed their life. Try getting a job in this economy with a felony charge. The recidivism rates speak for themselves.

It's high time to reform the entire system, starting with the complete dismantling of private prisons (the idea that someone should make money off this at all, much less be a publicly traded company, is beyond disgusting), and removing the concept of the 'drug offense' from our vocabularies. If there's a child in a room, you can call it child endangerment or neglect, though no one seems to get their panties in a wad when the alcohol drug is present and even abused.

• Fire 4

The conversation about prisons obviously has to start with sentencing. America is an idiotic country when it comes to what we think of as 'crime,' particularly 'crimes' that involve someone sitting on their couch with a needle in their arm dead to the world or handing off an eighth of weed to their roommate (drug trafficking).

from my experience, a lot of people that get in trouble for drugs are also suffering from a mental health issue. so it is a mental health issue as much, if not more, than a criminal issue.

The conversation about prisons obviously has to start with sentencing. America is an idiotic country when it comes to what we think of as 'crime,' particularly 'crimes' that involve someone sitting on their couch with a needle in their arm dead to the world or handing off an eighth of weed to their roommate (drug trafficking).

from my experience, a lot of people that get in trouble for drugs are also suffering from a mental health issue. so it is a mental health issue as much, if not more, than a criminal issue.

So, how do we solve the mental health issue?