Progressives turn to Warren - leaving Obama/Hillary?

I haven't followed her much and don't know much about her but found this article interesting.

Could she be the next Dem Presidential nominee?

My first glance impressions of why she has potential:

1. Seems like a true progressive who believes that Obama and Hillary have been too accommodating to wall street

2. Is a female - thus after electing the 1st A.M President, America may be ready for a female president

3. Is a female whose last name isn't Clinton - doesn't have the Clinton baggage, old image/history, & record to attack

4. Is a fresh face - most of us are tired of the Bush, Clinton cycle or the re-cycling of retreads - like McCain and Romney

5. I see young progressives liking her in the same way many young conservatives like Rand Paul - not establishment and new/different ideas

6. Kinda (maybe a stretch here) reminds me of the old George McGovern - a likeable, honorable guy who was perhaps too progressive for his era but was brave enough to

speak differently than the party line at the time. No, I don't predict a similar 49-1 electoral state loss if Warren was the candidate. The country is probably more in tune

with her views now than the country was to McGovern's in 1972. I was old enough to vote in 1974 and voted for McGovern in the S.D senate election

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/progressives-turn-from-obama-to-embrace-warren/2014/07/14/e117aca2-0b62-11e4-b8e5-d0de80767fc2_story.html

Speaking of Rand Paul and the establishment repubs reactions:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/rand-paul-foreign-policy-108897.html

It would be interesting to see a Paul/Warren contest

Warren won't run in 2016. Some want more discord in the DNC nomination . . . but barring something truly shocking we know who the nominee will be. Warren isn't it.

Carl, do you think Hillary, yes the already crowned one, will have any opposition or do you think the political machinery (both Clinton and Dem party) will punish anyone choosing to venture a challenge? I would really like to see someone challenge her - just for the purpose of keeping the debate honest and keeping her in account for any statements she may make. Do I think she is a lock - yes. Do I think she is the best person for the job from the democratic side - :dunno I don't know. She has the experience (exposure - but outside of SOS, not the admin experience), but I have got to believe that there are more talented people in the party who, while not as overexposed as Hillary, could still govern more effectively and be less polarizing - perhaps some governor. While I yearn for the days of Bill Clinton in comparison to Obama (had to get the bone out of my throat when I typed that), I don't think Hill is a Bill. But I still think Hill is better choice than O if I had to choose.

Carl, do you think Hillary, yes the already crowned one, will have any opposition or do you think the political machinery (both Clinton and Dem party) will punish anyone choosing to venture a challenge?

She won't be unopposed but she will probably win handily.

It's not a coronation. It's an election of a popular candidate.

Carl, do you think Hillary, yes the already crowned one, will have any opposition or do you think the political machinery (both Clinton and Dem party) will punish anyone choosing to venture a challenge?

very true on the coronation - just seems like it - the next in line - like the British royalty. Many have written off challengers from the dem side and the repub side.

very true on the coronation - just seems like it - the next in line - like the British royalty. Many have written off challengers from the dem side and the repub side.

Well, don't worry. The loudmouths will say that whoever wins the DNC was the worst possible candidate. You'll hear that even the hated Obama was better. :P

Well, don't worry. The loudmouths will say that whoever wins the DNC was the worst possible candidate. You'll hear that even the hated Obama was better. :P

Just so we don't get Jeb Bush also - dedhoarse

Just so we don't get Jeb Bush also - dedhoarse

I kind of doubt it. I'm not sure that his heart is in it.

I just feel that Hilary is an uninspiring candidate. I do really like Bill and respect the work he's done with the Clinton Foundation. I'm really not sure why Hilary is a little hard to like. It's not totally rational, but I think for a lot of young people, who tend to want to see someone vibrant, energetic, and earnest...Hilary will have to make the case to them, and there's a real opportunity for Republicans to gun for the pretty important youth demographic in 2016. If Rand, Christie, Rubio, Ryan, maybe Jindal?,...somebody not named Cruz, Perry, Santorum, or Bush, can make a case for themselves as legitimate candidates, I think Hilary would have a real fight on her hands in the general election.

Of course, the Republican Party also has a lot of image issues to address, but a lot can change between now and then. I think it's quite possible we'll see a strong, dynamic Republican candidate who nonetheless succumbs to self-inflicted mistakes and not being able to shake off the Republican 'crazy' perceptions. Which doesn't really excite me.

I'd really like for Warren or somebody like her to be the Democratic candidate. A Warren vs Rand Paul race would be frank and compelling.

/armchair thoughts in the wind :P

• Fire 1

Agree with zoogies that a Hillary candidacy is uninspiring. Everyone seems ready to pencil her in to the Oval Office next term, but why? What has she done? What is she going to do for the country? Bill Clinton won the lottery in that he was president during the dot-com boom, when the nation was energized with the idea of this whole new marketplace/forum where anything was possible. People felt good about a lot of things and nearly none of them had anything to do with Clinton. As a president I can't think of anything he did that was exceptionally good or beneficial to the country. If Hillary is going to be Bill 2.0, I think I'll pass. I don't think Bill Clinton would be a good post-9/11 president. His foreign policy wasn't much to speak of - much like Obama's.

Now, if Hillary were to say we'll keep an eye on the rest of the world and help put out fires as needed, but focus domestically on strengthening our economy, rebuilding our infrastructure, fixing Obamacare, maybe fixing the schism between Republican & Democrat, then maybe I'd be on board with a Hillary presidency.

But frankly, none of those things are tied to Hillary. If Rand Paul was going to do those things, I'd probably vote for him, too.

• Fire 1

Agree with zoogies that a Hillary candidacy is uninspiring. Everyone seems ready to pencil her in to the Oval Office next term, but why? What has she done? What is she going to do for the country? Bill Clinton won the lottery in that he was president during the dot-com boom, when the nation was energized with the idea of this whole new marketplace/forum where anything was possible. People felt good about a lot of things and nearly none of them had anything to do with Clinton. As a president I can't think of anything he did that was exceptionally good or beneficial to the country. If Hillary is going to be Bill 2.0, I think I'll pass. I don't think Bill Clinton would be a good post-9/11 president. His foreign policy wasn't much to speak of - much like Obama's.

Now, if Hillary were to say we'll keep an eye on the rest of the world and help put out fires as needed, but focus domestically on strengthening our economy, rebuilding our infrastructure, fixing Obamacare, maybe fixing the schism between Republican & Democrat, then maybe I'd be on board with a Hillary presidency.

But frankly, none of those things are tied to Hillary. If Rand Paul was going to do those things, I'd probably vote for him, too.

I can agree with this :yeah