Dienhart: Papuchis Q&A

ZRod

For us to be the defense we envision, I think Maliek Collins and Vincent Valentine have tremendous upside. This will be an important year for them to put it together. They are just sophomores. It is critical to win inside in the trenches. Josh Banderas is key because he can play a lot of positions at linebacker. Mike Rose has done a really good job of being a leader. In the secondary, Corey Cooper has gotten better each of his five years in the program. It will be fun to watch him continue to grow.

http://btn.com/2014/07/30/john-papuchis-qa-we-have-a-very-talented-group/

Just a short Q&A form the BTN's Tom Dienhart. Nothing earth shattering here. Paps is pretty happy with the D line, especially the ends, but would like to build depth. He thinks the linebackers are going to be a good group. Bando is pretty versitile and Rose is becoming a leader. The biggest question obviously is in the secondary, and more specifically the corner position. There doesn't seem to be any real standouts except the guys with experience. It appears the the defense is taking the same approach as the offense with less is more. They are focusing on what the guys do well and they are going to build on that.

With Charles Jackson coming in, Mitchell being a solid player and making progress, I'm not all that concerned with the secondary. I think Rose has a lot to bring to the table also.

Bo has always had very solid secondary play and we are always a highly ranked pass defense. I expect much the same, especially with the pressure the defensive line will be able to apply. That always helps.

I feel good about the D and the secondary. As others have stated, pass D has never been an issue. Safety looks solid with Coop and Gerry/Alexander and CB's with Mitchell, Davie, Cockrell and Rose. According to reports, too many LB's to all be on the field at the same time, nickel with some options and doth at DT. Thin at DE (experience), but I hope to see some guys step up. If the interior is as projected, D should be solid.