Our Head Coach

Guys, I just wanted to get everyone else's opinion on our HC. I think we made an EXCELLENT choice and it's really starting to show. The players really seem to be in tune w/BC and the entire staff and it appears they'll run through brick walls for them. Our recruiting is awesome and we're getting the players in here that we need to compete w/the big boys. BC also appears able to game plan very well and is adapting to the college game nicely. I know I was ready for heads to roll after the KU game, even somewhat after the thin win against KSU, but looking back at the season and our last 2 games, I'm very excited about the future.

a great game plan guy who knows offense... maybe alil lacking in the decision making but that will come w/ more experience in the college game... wish he would stay here and not leave for the nfl if he starts to win like i think he will in the next few years, because he is gonna be great.

I've always liked BC for a coach. Thought that Pederson lucked-out in getting him. I thought that he got a raw deal in Oakland. I think that he will show us in the next few years, that his system works and that he relates well to other coaches and players. Also, when he has more than a week to prepare, he comes up with excellent game plans.

It's obvious that he's getting the talent that he needs to run his schemes. Our offense started to gel at the end of the season. I think that most of the key players have learned the system. I think the players have bought into it and have experienced some success.

f you were taking a poll (seems to me that we've already done this), I'd give him an "8" for this year.

Just my hunch, but I don't think BC and his staff will go anywhere for awhile. They have something to prove and seem completely committed in turning the program around.

I've warmed-up to Cosgrove. Wasn't sure that he was the right man for the job. Expecially in 2004, when he came-out with that 3-man front at the TT game and stuck with it the entire game. But, he has won me over this year. Our D has swagger again. Looking forward to next season. I'll make a prediction. We'll upset either USC or Texas next year!

:restore2

i've been a cally supporter since the beginning as well. he is a guy who spent a lot of time in the college ranks and went to coach in the nfl for a few years. went to a super bowl then like the captain of the USS Caine he had a mutiny. Callahan is a smart guy and he knows what he and his staff have to do to make nebraska successful and a powerhouse again. He is addressing a lot of issues and making great strides on and off the football field with his charities and activities.

Our staff can coach and can bring the talent here and develop it. The coaches can only open the door, the players have to get their ticket punched and walk through. As of right now we have 23 verbal commitments from guys who want to play for our coaches. Things are looking up. I'm glad we have a smart guy like Callahan in the captain's chair.

Yep, I echo everything you guys are saying. You can also dig up my old posts and you wont find one that says we made a bad choice on choosing Callahan.

I would have been happy with a lesser record- 8-4 certainly is a treat knowing the lack of playbook experience and team cohesiveness we were experiencing.

This team should really be exciting to watch next year. :thumbs

:restore2:power

I look forward to Coach Callahan being given the chance to prove whether he truly is an offensive genius. There were glimpses of it last year. Now that he is bringing the type of players he wants to make his offense work this year should be very exciting. I believe he also needs to spend some time in the trenches to use his O-line experience to get them back on track.

Not sure about this. With all the openings in the NFL this year, wouldnt a team or two come calling if he was so great??

the same could be said about a lot of coaches. what about mack brown, pete carroll, coker, bowden, paterno.. you'd think they would go to the nfl since they are so great...

Maybe, but most of these guys are career NCAA coaches (Carroll being the exception, and he was on the 49ers short list last year). I think that billy c yearns for a return to the NFL.

Bowden, Paterno, Brown, I doubt you will ever see them in the NFL.

You know, it's sad that on every board you cannot get into a discussion without a troll who blatantly baits people into arguments. Why the mods leave him around, I do not understand. If he actually provided something to the board, rather than the constant aggravation of everyone, I might understand.

In any case, I highly doubt BC is going anywhere. The pro game is too much of a crapshoot and I doubt he goes thru the revolving door yet again. For all he did with the likes of Rich Gannon, Charlie Garner, Tyrone Wheatley, etc., and to be given the door one season after going to the Super Bowl? You know that BC was highly tweaked over the lack of respect shown and I cannot blame him.

Once he rights the ship completely at Nebraska, he will achieve a status he will NEVER get in the NFL. As long as Cally wins, the money, fame and respect will follow him throughout the state of Nebraska.

To put it this way...

Cally could walk into an old folks home in Tenbucktoo, Nebraska and every patron would want to shake his hand, take pictures and talk to him.

Go to Oakland and they would be telling him they don't enjoy the game of foosball.

I truely believe Cally has found his last stop (granted he wins) in his coaching career.

Not sure about this. With all the openings in the NFL this year, wouldnt a team or two come calling if he was so great??

the same could be said about a lot of coaches. what about mack brown, pete carroll, coker, bowden, paterno.. you'd think they would go to the nfl since they are so great...

Maybe, but most of these guys are career NCAA coaches (Carroll being the exception, and he was on the 49ers short list last year). I think that billy c yearns for a return to the NFL.

it seems more evident that you wish Coach Callahan yearns for a return to the NFL. What makes you think that Coach Callahan doesnt want to make a career out of coaching college football, after all, he has been quoted to saying that he wants to finish his career at nebraska... and that doesnt change the fact that if brown paterno etc etc are such awesome coaches that they dont hear offers from NFL teams.. just because you dont see them in the nfl doesnt mean they dont get offers.

If Coach Callahan intends to return to the NFL he needs to string together consecutive winning seasons. Transforming the Big Red from the once most feared ground attack to a feared balanced offense will be something he can put on his resume with BIG RED LETTERS. Yet he must win, win, win. Then if he does leave the program will be in good shape.

If Coach Callahan intends to return to the NFL he needs to string together consecutive winning seasons. Transforming the Big Red from the once most feared ground attack to a feared balanced offense will be something he can put on his resume with BIG RED LETTERS. Yet he must win, win, win. Then if he does leave the program will be in good shape.

Yes i agree. you never know what is going to happen and maybe Callahan leaves for the NFL. like you said I hope he leaves the team in good shape just like Osbourne did and we get another good coach to come in and take over