Devil or Angel, Whichever You Are

Devil or Angel, Whichever You Are

Too often when it come to politics, religion, LBGT issues, dog breeds, ford versus chevy, Euro trash saabs, Russian brides, and SEC football, somebody is looking to disrespect and alienate somebody else. And that somebody else is just as happy to oblige. There comes a time when we need to put aside differences (and yes, they do matter), and presume respect for the person who might have a different opinion....

Shannon K. Walsh wrote on The Real Mike Rowe Facebook page, ” Mike – How could you associate with such a horrible and psychotic person that is Glen Beck? I wouldn’t accept a dime off that hateful, naPick-Your-Devils-300x238.jpgsty racist. Very disappointed to see this post.”

Well, hi there, Shannon – and a pleasant good morning to you too!

If you want a detailed answer to your question, please take a moment to read my earlier reply to Bob Reidel, another crestfallen soul who couldn’t reconcile my association with a TV host that he personally despised. As you read it (out loud, if possible, and in a public place), kindly replace the words “Bob Reidel” with “Shannon K. Walsh,” and “Bill Maher” with “Glenn Beck.” But prepare yourself – you might be forced to conclude that my true objective here has little to do with winning or losing your approval.

As for your personal characterization of Glenn Beck, I can only assume you have information not available to me. In my time with him, I saw nothing “horrible, psychotic, hateful, or nasty.” I smelled no burning sulfur, no smoldering brimstone, and saw no sign of cloven hooves.

To the contrary, I found a very passionate guy who employs about 300 people, works his butt off, and puts his money where his mouth is. Do we agree on everything? Of course not. Am I “disappointed” by that fact? Not at all. The real question, Shannon, is … why are you?

To be clear, I’m not here to tell you what to think or whom to hate. Like everyone else, you’re free to pick your devils, choose your angels,.....

More at the link

Here's the thing, Tobey. I have a foundation called mikeroweWORKS. Our goal is to raise awareness around several million good jobs that no one seems to want. These are jobs that require the mastery of a hands-on skill. Spreading that message requires lots of PR, and Glenn has been very supportive of my foundations goals. I’m grateful for the chance to speak directly to his audience, and will do so again whenever I’m invited back. Likewise, MSNBC and FOX. As well as NPR and CNN. And anyone else with an big audience.

Obviously, our country is a divided mess. If I want to reach the masses, I can't limit myself to programs and individuals that meet with your specific approval. I know this must come as a surprise, but thanks to the web, disappointment is now easier to share then ever before. So by all means, keep sharing yours. I don’t mind. Just know that when it comes to promoting mikeroweWORKS, your disappointment is a price I'm happy to pay.

Well I'm glad that Glenn Beck doesn't smell like sulfur and employs 300 people, but his nonsense does far more bad than good. Far more.

People need to quit acting like employing people to work for their company or organization is doing them some huge personal favor. Those employees are working their ass off, mostly for the benefit of the higher-ups who employ them. "Hey I can't be an a-hole, I create jobs!" is such a stupid line that you hear all the time.

Well I'm glad that Glenn Beck doesn't smell like sulfur and employs 300 people, but his nonsense does far more bad than good. Far more.

People need to quit acting like employing people to work for their company or organization is doing them some huge personal favor. Those employees are working their ass off, mostly for the benefit of the higher-ups who employ them. "Hey I can't be an a-hole, I create jobs!" is such a stupid line that you hear all the time.

I think you just reinforced the point that Mike Rowe is making. You don't like Glen Beck so you have a certain opinion of him.

Personally I think Glen Beck is a an over the top individual that has taken things to far. Glen Beck thinks everyone that doesn't agree with him is stupid.

Personally I think Bill Maher is an over the top individual that has taken things to far. Bill Maher thinks everyone that doesn't agree with him is stupid.

• Fire 2

YES. They're employing people because they're profiting from their labor. That's not a bad thing . . . but it's not worthy of praise either.

There are a number of people in my life that I think back and am grateful they gave me a job. They did me a big favor that they didn't have to do. They could have easily hired someone else. And, in some situations, I'm sure there were more qualified people for the job. But, they did a great service for me to give me that job. And, if I saw them today, I would thank them for that.

Hopefully, there are people now who could say the same thing about me. I had people do favors for me to get me to where I am. Hopefully, I am doing favors for people now.

Or...I guess I could just have a pissy attitude towards everyone who has ever employed me because I'm sure they made money off of me doing that work.

Or...I guess I could just have a pissy attitude towards everyone who has ever employed me because I'm sure they made money off of me doing that work.

I don't think that's appropriate . . . just like I won't worship at the feet of anyone who has employed another person.

It's business . . . it isn't charity.

I don't look at anyone involved as a "charity". But, that doesn't mean you can't be thankful that someone hired you.

I guess I'm probably taking the comments farther than what was meant. I just get frustrated because sometimes there is an attitude that business owners or people who employ people are greedy bastards.

In reality, you hope it is a mutual benefiting relationship that the employee is thankful for the job and the employer is thankful for the work that is getting done.

I just get frustrated because sometimes there is an attitude that business owners or people who employ people are greedy bastards.

That's true.

There is also an entire political party devoted to the opposite proposition . . . that "job creators" (good work Luntz) are the pinnacle of virtue.

• Fire 1

I just get frustrated because sometimes there is an attitude that business owners or people who employ people are greedy bastards.

That's true.

There is also an entire political party devoted to the opposite proposition . . . that "job creators" (good work Luntz) are the pinnacle of virtue.

And, there is one that has made hay with voters who think business owners are a bunch of greedy bastards.

And, there is one that has made hay with voters who think business owners are a bunch of greedy bastards.

Some of them maybe? I have to assume that you're talking about the amazing dwindling labor movement more than the DNC itself.

I'm talking about everyone from politicians who gained major contributions from unions and their membership to people who think these big evil corporations and their owners are killing us all are the scurge of the universe. The Dems have made major hay with these people over the decades.

Just like not all liberal Democrats feel this way. Not all conservative Republicans feel business owners are saints.

My father in law's small business employs about 60 people me being one of them. I know personally, because he has told me this, that he is very proud of the fact that he has created a business that can allow that many people to have a good paying job.

Does he make money off the business, sure a lot of money, but he also pays his employees very well for what amounts to unskilled labor. They get 2 bonuses a year and four weeks paid vacation plus retirement.

I don't look at anyone involved as a "charity". But, that doesn't mean you can't be thankful that someone hired you.

I guess I'm probably taking the comments farther than what was meant. I just get frustrated because sometimes there is an attitude that business owners or people who employ people are greedy bastards.

In reality, you hope it is a mutual benefiting relationship that the employee is thankful for the job and the employer is thankful for the work that is getting done.

Sure, I can be thankful I was hired... but I can also think the boss is a greedy bastard who doesn't really care about his workers. But if I'm working and doing my job well, he's making money from it (in theory), so there's no reason for me to bend down and kiss his feet.