Had my Bell Rung

I don't know if it would have prevented me from reaching this point of having seizures, but catching it earlier definitely wouldn't have hurt.

If it is any consolation, my brother went through the same thing you are experiencing, but of course it really isn't any consolation at all for you right now. He was sliding on the ice in second grade, slipped, cracked his head, and got a bad concussion, and had grand mal seizures all through his childhood. Almost drowned in two feet of water, hit a McDonald's with his car, and had some scary and embarrassing moments during his seziures and went through some really tough times with alcohol.

If it's any consolation to you, the damage to my brother was done the split second he hit his head on the ice. Nothing done afterwards could change that, except maybe catching the onset of the grand mal seizures quicker, but they usually are never caught on the first few. They get mistaken for fainting spells, spacing out, nodding off, etc., even though they are a lot more violent than that. Just happens.

The good news is he now controls his seizures 100% with medication. My brother now drives, doesn't drink, got a Gold medal in field archery at the Cornhusker games, kicks @ss at formal target shooting events with both handgun and rifle, shoots trap, and has better fine motor skills than 90% of the people alive. He had to give up the field archery after he slipped out of his tree stand and broke his wrist in two places (harness!). His spine was starting to go crooked anyhow from a 90 lb.(!!!) bow, so maybe it was time to hang that up as well.

To sum up,this no doubt will, as you have already said, suck short term, but don't give up. There can be light at the end of the tunnel, but it may be some trudging involved to get out of said tunnel and back into the fresh air and sunshine. You have my prayers.

• Fire 1

I don't know if it would have prevented me from reaching this point of having seizures, but catching it earlier definitely wouldn't have hurt.

If it is any consolation, my brother went through the same thing you are experiencing, but of course it really isn't any consolation at all for you right now. He was sliding on the ice in second grade, slipped, cracked his head, and got a bad concussion, and had grand mal seizures all through his childhood. Almost drowned in two feet of water, hit a McDonald's with his car, and had some scary and embarrassing moments during his seziures and went through some really tough times with alcohol.

If it's any consolation to you, the damage to my brother was done the split second he hit his head on the ice. Nothing done afterwards could change that, except maybe catching the onset of the grand mal seizures quicker, but they usually are never caught on the first few. They get mistaken for fainting spells, spacing out, nodding off, etc., even though they are a lot more violent than that. Just happens.

The good news is he now controls his seizures 100% with medication. My brother now drives, doesn't drink, got a Gold medal in field archery at the Cornhusker games, kicks @ss at formal target shooting events with both handgun and rifle, shoots trap, and has better fine motor skills than 90% of the people alive. He had to give up the field archery after he slipped out of his tree stand and broke his wrist in two places (harness!). His spine was starting to go crooked anyhow from a 90 lb.(!!!) bow, so maybe it was time to hang that up as well.

To sum up,this no doubt will, as you have already said, suck short term, but don't give up. There can be light at the end of the tunnel, but it may be some trudging involved to get out of said tunnel and back into the fresh air and sunshine. You have my prayers.

Thanks.

It's definitely looking difficult to me at the moment, but I know once they find the right dosage of meds, things will be a lot better. Sometimes it's just hard to see the forest through the trees.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed. Hang in there man. I know it's not much consolation, but we're all behind you on this one Brogan. Especially since this originated from something we all love so dearly.

But, as the saying goes:

"We'll stick together, in all kinds of weather, for dear old Nebraska U!"

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. It's not much coming from a faceless internet toughguy, but, you know, felt like I should offer.

• Fire 2

Thanks guys, that really means a lot to me. I truly appreciate it.

The seizures have been under control for awhile, just one in the past couple weeks. I haven't been to work though, and the one time I had one outside of work was when a fire truck drove by with sirens going and horn blaring. So, we're thinking that might be a trigger, since I work around police and fire scanners.

What's odd is why it just started happening suddenly. My doctor thinks there's more than just neurological issues, and that PTSD may actually be playing a part as well. The sirens may play a part in that, where I was taken to the ER by ambulance. But I wasn't having seizures before, so it may have been a built up sort of situation, and all the stress brought me to a breaking point, so to speak.

So, I have a date where I'm set to return to work. I'm hopeful things will go well.

I'm just glad the PTSD is affecting me with sirens, not "Dear Old Nebraska U".

I hope this is okay, but if you want to follow along, I've been posting updates on my Gofundme.

www.gofundme.com/broganreynik