It Isn't the 90s Anymore - Or Is It?

NUpolo8

This is just depressing. We have went from one of the best teams in college football history, to worrying about Northwestern and Minnesota, praying we get to a loser conference championship. How far have we fallen, but if we only lose to Minnesota it would be very hard to reach our past lofty goal of only four losses. Pathetic. Of course we only lose because the cheaters at Michigan State have the clap.

The only thing keeping this program alive is the move to the pathetic Big 10. Oklahoma, Okie Lite, Baylor, TCU and KState and we know Texas would kick our asses every year. But of course that damned BC caused it all and is still the reason we can not change the snap count.

Good Lord Almighty. The amount of crying going on after a close road loss to a top ten team is nauseating.

It's not the 70s or 90s anymore. The entire landscape of college football has changed the past 20 years.

The past few years have proven that no game is a gimme, and I'm not just talking about Nebraska.

We can still win the conference and have an outside shot at the playoffs if since things straighten out.

Yeah it's not like it was 20 years ago!

20 years ago teams like Florida St, Oregon, Auburn, Texas A&M, Arizona USC and Nebraska were highly ranked!

Now......

This is just depressing. We have went from one of the best teams in college football history, to worrying about Northwestern and Minnesota, praying we get to a loser conference championship. How far have we fallen, but if we only lose to Minnesota it would be very hard to reach our past lofty goal of only four losses. Pathetic. Of course we only lose because the cheaters at Michigan State have the clap.

The only thing keeping this program alive is the move to the pathetic Big 10. Oklahoma, Okie Lite, Baylor, TCU and KState and we know Texas would kick our asses every year. But of course that damned BC caused it all and is still the reason we can not change the snap count.

Good Lord Almighty. The amount of crying going on after a close road loss to a top ten team is nauseating.

It's not the 70s or 90s anymore. The entire landscape of college football has changed the past 20 years.

The past few years have proven that no game is a gimme, and I'm not just talking about Nebraska.

We can still win the conference and have an outside shot at the playoffs if since things straighten out.

20 years ago teams like Florida St, Oregon, Auburn, Texas A&M, Arizona USC and Nebraska were highly ranked!

Now......

Well. Except Oregon.

Now......

Totally shocked that you forgot to mention Miami, Michigan, Syracuse, Florida, West Virginia, Penn State, Colorado, Utah, Tennessee, Northwestern, Kansas, BYU, North Carolina, Washington State, Tulane, Georgia Tech, and Marshall.

• Fire 3

Now......

Well. Except Oregon.

Oregon played in the Rose bowl in 94, unless you meant this year....

Now......

Totally shocked that you forgot to mention Miami, Michigan, Syracuse, Florida, West Virginia, Penn State, Colorado, Utah, Tennessee, Northwestern, Kansas, BYU, North Carolina, Washington State, Tulane, Georgia Tech, and Marshall.

I thought this was about being being elite, not looking for reasons why we aren't.

• Fire 2

Now......

Well. Except Oregon.

I know they did. But they were completely irrelevant before that season. As well as the seasons after up until 2000ish when they started to gain relevancy under Bellotti and Nike. I remember when Oregon made the Rose Bowl. The thoughts around the country at that time were that of when Northwestern made the Rose Bowl, or had Iowa St made the Orange Bowl. But outside that one season, I dont recall Oregon as anything more than "meh". That was there first Rose Bowl in like 50 years or somethin. But by 2000, yeah, they became a pretty consistent top 15 player.

I'll be honest. I just got done googling their 90's record. I was a little wrong. I thought they fell of more than they did after that '94 season.

95 9-3 #18

96 6-5

97 7-5

98 8-4

99 9-3 #28

2000 10-2 #8

2001 they were right up there in the NC hunt.

Now......

Well. Except Oregon.

I know they did. But they were completely irrelevant before that season. As well as the seasons after up until 2000ish when they started to gain relevancy under Bellotti and Nike. I remember when Oregon made the Rose Bowl. The thoughts around the country at that time were that of when Northwestern made the Rose Bowl, or had Iowa St made the Orange Bowl. But outside that one season, I dont recall Oregon as anything more than "meh". That was there first Rose Bowl in like 50 years or somethin. But by 2000, yeah, they became a pretty consistent top 15 player.

I'll be honest. I just got done googling their 90's record. I was a little wrong. I thought they fell of more than they did after that '94 season.

95 9-3 #18

96 6-5

97 7-5

98 8-4

99 9-3 #28

2000 10-2 #8

Northwestern actually made the Rose bowl the following year.

Now......

Well. Except Oregon.

95 9-3 #18

96 6-5

97 7-5

98 8-4

99 9-3 #28

2000 10-2 #8

Northwestern actually made the Rose bowl the following year.

yes they did. But my point is, remember the reaction to it? it was a big deal. That's really what Im saying. I dont think Oregon qualifies as even close to a perennial power of the likes of the other programs you listed. I know the point you were trying to make, and yes, I nitpicked, I know I did. Just pointing out that at that time, Oregon has no place on that list.

Now......

I thought this was about being being elite, not looking for reasons why we aren't.

I cant believe i'm doing this

*sighs*

*takes shot of whisky*

I agree with Polo. Listing teams who were elite but are now struggling is counterproductive. I'd rather look at the teams he is in order to hold onto the expectations that we still can as opposed to looking for reasons/excuses why we arent/cant.

*ducks under table*

• Fire 1

Let's define "elite" first so we know which teams we can compare ourselves to.

Is it less than 4 losses?

Is it winning conference championships or NC's?

Is it competing in these games?

BCS bowls?

And the number of years we need to look back to start the "elite" question.

I'm not saying Nebraska is elite right now. But I would like to know who all of you think is and why.

Count, have a Snickers. Cause you get down on the team during byes after a hard loss. Better

I wouldnt say "down" But what happens is, things like last week make me take of my rosy googly eyes and start seeing things with proper persective instead of through the sunshine ALL THE TIME. Pay a little closer attention, and you'll that I'll throw in some positives as well. Im just tire as well of seeing the same lackidasical outings.

I'm a Chiefs fan. And my high school is in their first year of a new coach after replacing a 30 year legend. Theyre 1-5 right now. And when I have to rely on my 6 and 7 yr olds flag football team I coach for good football every weekend on a consistent basis, it tends to get a little depressing at times.

Let's define "elite" first so we know which teams we can compare ourselves to.

Is it less than 4 losses?

Is it winning conference championships or NC's?

Is it competing in these games?

BCS bowls?

And the number of years we need to look back to start the "elite" question.

I'm not saying Nebraska is elite right now. But I would like to know who all of you think is and why.

I dont think you can put championships on it. Maybe conference championships. And yes, elite is a loose term. But a consistent top ten'er would qualify in my opionion. And i know that's open to much debate as to who actually deserves to be there.

But the point remains. As close as we seem to be at time to that elite level-whatever that may be-we're still so very very far away. And we were at once. And so were other programs, who are now again. I would just rather justify why we still can be, instead of justifying our current mediocrity.

I just want to have one conversation without it devolving into why nobody else cares about Nebraska or not being elite.

Polo'd

Oh well...

A few things.

Your wish exists on a ton of topics on this forum.

I didn't do anything of the sort here, skersfan I believe had the first post about that.

Carry on.

I just want to have one conversation without it devolving into why nobody else cares about Nebraska or not being elite.

Polo'd

Oh well...

A few things.

Your wish exists on a ton of topics on this forum.

I didn't do anything of the sort here, skersfan I believe had the first post about that.

Carry on.

But I don't care about those topics. It always seems to be the ones I get really involved in.

Plus, it is easier to blame you than skersfan. :lol: