Ricky Thenarse

that is good to hear, now he can start practicing with the team when fall camp starts next week.

it is going to be scary when this team gels and becomes one. LOOK OUT hide the women and children. The HUSKERS are coming and our defenses won't work against the HUSKER NATION. People will be asking "who pissed in these guys wheaties?"

I wasn't sure if y'all had read this yet. Sounds like the new guys are pumped to be a Husker. I know I would be.

NU defensive back recruit ready to go

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Aug 01, 2006 - 12:24:48 am CDT

Ricky Thenarse apparently will arrive in Lincoln later than any other member of Nebraska’s 2006 football recruiting class.

However, he likely will arrive with as much gusto as anyone.

“I’m so ready to go,” said Thenarse, a 6-foot, 185-pound defensive back from the Watts district of Los Angeles. “I want to get it started. I don’t want to be here (in Los Angeles). It’s not good to be here.”

Thenarse said Watts’ reputation as a crime-ridden area is accurate. Consequently, he looks forward to arriving in Lincoln, hopefully in time for the start of Nebraska’s preseason drills Thursday. Husker players are due to report Wednesday.

“In Lincoln, you just go outside and you don’t have to worry about nothing,” Thenarse said. “You’re just free.”

Thenarse, who could add depth to Nebraska’s secondary, late last week received his go-ahead to play this season in the form of an OK from the NCAA Clearinghouse, which handles all inquiries regarding an individual’s initial eligibility status.

At least two 2006 Husker recruits — wide receiver Maurice Purify and offensive lineman Carl Nicks — apparently are awaiting an OK from the clearinghouse. Without such an OK, players are unable to participate in preseason drills. However, Purify and Nicks have participated in “informal” summer workouts.

In recent seasons, Nebraska players at times have waited until well into preseason drills before learning their eligibility status.

Thenarse on Monday was trying to arrange his travel to Lincoln. He said he wanted to wait for an OK from the clearinghouse before heading to Lincoln. Although most of Nebraska’s newcomers and veterans have been working out in Lincoln for weeks, Thenarse isn’t overly concerned about entering preseason camp at a distinct disadvantage.

“I can learn quick,” he said. “I’ll just keep working hard until I catch up.”

Thenarse, ranked last season as the 18th-best prospect in California by Rivals.com, probably will get a long look during preseason camp as a free safety and perhaps a cornerback — two areas where Nebraska lacks depth. He said he prefers to play cornerback.

“I get all of my big hits at cornerback,” he said. “When guys run the ball, they can’t always see the corner coming, and I might get a big one on them. But I’ll play wherever the coaches want me to play.”

Playing for Jordan High School, Thenarse last season recorded 153 tackles and one interception. He also carried the ball 112 times for 1,344 yards (12.0 per carry). Because he lives only 10 minutes from Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Thenarse can’t help but consider the possibility of contributing immediately at Nebraska.

After all, the Huskers play Southern Cal on Sept. 16 at the Coliseum.

“Man, it’d mean everything to me (to play),” Thenarse said. “So many of my friends from Pop Warner ball committed to USC. But Nebraska’s my dream school.”

Thenarse wasn’t the only Los Angeles-area defensive back to get a relatively late start at Nebraska this summer. Major Culbert of Harbor City, penciled in as a strong safety, had his scholarship reinstated by coach Bill Callahan only last week after resolution of a legal issue.

The 5-11, 200-pound Culbert, in Lincoln since last week, said Monday he has some catching up to do in his physical conditioning.

“I thought I was in pretty good shape, but apparently I wasn’t,” Culbert said immediately following a workout with Husker strength coach Dave Kennedy and fellow 2006 recruit Anthony West.

“I’m hungry, but I don’t want to eat — that’s how tired I am,” Culbert added.

There was unmistakable enthusiasm in Culbert’s voice.

“Now that I’m here, I don’t want to let anybody down,” he said.

LINK