other quarterbacks BIG

I didn't say anything about those teams.

I did. Cause I felt like it.

Deflected the discussion to some of the teams ranked above both MSU and Ohio State. Pretty relevent.

If you want to look at a team that played well this Saturday and say THAT'S what I want, knock yourself out. But most of those teams will have a day where things go wrong, and star quarterbacks have turnover-prone, out-of-sync games.

Fun Fact: Connor Cook had a worse game than Tommy Armstrong in the NU-MSU game. Except for the winning part.

Armstrong needs to be better. No doubt about that. But to pretend that the talent and schemes aren't working when there's tons of evidence to the contrary is kinda silly.

And yeah, we might get our asses handed to us. Right now we're preceived nationally as the #11 team that hasn't beaten anyone of significance yet. It's a big stage and a big moment for the program.

Our recent history involves a lot of big game meltdowns. That includes offense, defense, special teams and at least four different quarterbacks who suddenly play much, much worse under pressure. That's not about a single player or scheme or play-calling. That's about teamwide mojo and how well a head coach gets all his players calmed down, focused and motivated.

I didn't say anything about those teams.

I did. Cause I felt like it.

Deflected the discussion to some of the teams ranked above both MSU and Ohio State. Pretty relevent.

If you want to look at a team that played well this Saturday and say THAT'S what I want, knock yourself out. But most of those teams will have a day where things go wrong, and star quarterbacks have turnover-prone, out-of-sync games.

Fun Fact: Connor Cook had a worse game than Tommy Armstrong in the NU-MSU game. Except for the winning part.

Armstrong needs to be better. No doubt about that. But to pretend that the talent and schemes aren't working when there's tons of evidence to the contrary is kinda silly.

And yeah, we might get our asses handed to us. Right now we're preceived nationally as the #11 team that hasn't beaten anyone of significance yet. It's a big stage and a big moment for the program.

Our recent history involves a lot of big game meltdowns. That includes offense, defense, special teams and at least four different quarterbacks who suddenly play much, much worse under pressure. That's not about a single player or scheme or play-calling. That's about teamwide mojo and how well a head coach gets all his players calmed down, focused and motivated.

Oh you you are so right about the team wide issues but since qb is prob the single most impactful player on the team I started there, top notch qbs have bad games but the consistency and overall proficency in all aspects of qb play is what you see in the premier qb's of which we haven't had in quite awhile. Be honest anything other than the deep ball is difficult for tommy, he hasn't and maybe never will develope touch or read defenses. He is another athlete playing qb maybe if it was the option he is the guy or at least better suited and "Tons of evidence to the contrary" please enlighten me and don't feed me that crap about 8-1 because you know that was built on a cupcake sched . The real measure is how you do on the big stage

• Fire 1

Be honest anything other than the deep ball is difficult for tommy, he hasn't and maybe never will develope touch or read defenses. He is another athlete playing qb maybe if it was the option he is the guy or at least better suited and "Tons of evidence to the contrary" please enlighten me and don't feed me that crap about 8-1 because you know that was built on a cupcake sched . The real measure is how you do on the big stage

Honestly? Tommy has made some beautiful touch passes, hit receivers in stride on short crossing patterns, and frequently completed quick curls for crucial first downs. As evidence I encourage you to watch the games. When Tommy makes a bad read or overthrows a simple screen, it doesn't mean he does it every time. And that beautiful deep ball ain't nothing. It's one of the most exciting plays in football. That he needs to get better doesn't mean he sucks. And my original point is that the quarterback you think you want may have just had a shittier day than Tommy. So let's not set fire to our sophomore quarterback just yet.

By "tons of evidence" I simply meant all the available offensive statistics and highlights that have gone into our current 8 - 1 season. I guess I could refuse to enjoy those numbers because they came against cupcakes, but I'm not pretending we're better than we are. Just better than the past few seasons against similar competition.

No argument here that the Huskers still have to prove themselves on the big stage. Who'd argue that? Just saying that having watched several elite quarterbacks flame out on the big stage, I'm not sure who I'd trade Tommy for at the moment. We'd likely end up passing the ball more, and you know how that gets some folks petticoats ruffled.

Technically, Tommy Armstrong has only lost to one team. Michigan State. And on this year's big stage he came inches away from staging the biggest comeback in Husker history.

If we lose to Wisconsin and Tommy plays lousy, I may join you on the other side.

In the meantime we're still 8 - 1 and in the national conversation.

• Fire 1

The big thing I would like to see Beck do from here on out is run TA more. Did you see how many times Barrett ran the ball against MSU. They really had good stuff designed for him. To me it almost seems like Beck is afraid to run him and let him get hurt. If the need is there run him 15+ times in a game. It will open up the passing even more.

OSU had a lot of quick slants in their game plan lets see that with TA and let's run some more WR screens we have got a lot better at it.

If AA is not 100% i am sure they will have more things designed for Cross and Newby's talents.

I watched a lot of football this weekend. More than usual anyways. Watching other offenses I've realized that Nebraska and Beck do a lot of the same things that every other team does. We also don't do some of those same things, some very simple things. I envy Minnesota right now and their offense simply for the formations they use and their play designs. Cethan Carter even tweeted "Minnesota TE get all the love lol".

Two big things about other teams I noticed that Nebraska doesn't have...

1. Use of a TE in the passing game

2. Effective offensive line. Talent, coaching, scheme...whatever it is, other teams I watched put a hat on a hat and block. We struggle up front IMO.

I think our OL has been mediocre and if we had a talented OL then our offense would be clicking much better. I think over the years our skill positions with Beck have improved but the OL has been constant mediocrity. OSU's OL moved their offense all over MSU who we couldn't get anything going against. The OL is the weakest unit and the one, that if they show marked improvement in next few weeks, can take us to that next level. If not, will be very difficult to win the BIG.

When Nebraska wasn't exactly famous for wide receivers, we still managed to turn out some of the best tight ends in the country.

I'm also a bit baffled by their complete disappearance.

But I don't see Tommy being held back from running. 10 - 12 carries a game seems about right for a guy sharing the backfield with Abdullah. Armstrong also cuts inside and hurdles defenders. If they're trying to keep him from hurting himself, Tommy's not listening.

My understanding is that Tommy makes a lot of those calls himself. He's not shy about giving himself more touches, especially when the stage gets bigger. I think he'll carry a bigger load the next three games.

I watched a lot of football this weekend. More than usual anyways. Watching other offenses I've realized that Nebraska and Beck do a lot of the same things that every other team does. We also don't do some of those same things, some very simple things. I envy Minnesota right now and their offense simply for the formations they use and their play designs. Cethan Carter even tweeted "Minnesota TE get all the love lol".

Two big things about other teams I noticed that Nebraska doesn't have...

1. Use of a TE in the passing game

2. Effective offensive line. Talent, coaching, scheme...whatever it is, other teams I watched put a hat on a hat and block. We struggle up front IMO.

Well you just named about half the teams in the country right there.