Bo Pelini vs ranked teams

Hujan - seriously?? I'm not too happy with Bo either but at least his teams haven't gone 5-7. Callahan was here 4 years - half those years we lost more games than we won. Bad comparison IMO

not picking sides but consider this... all the 5-7 did was break a bowl game streak, who cares if you make the chik-fil-a bowl each year? big whoop. I think that what the first expectation for Bo was, get to a bowl game, which he did and won I think. But hes lost some too. I wonder what the bowl game comparison looks like though, but i still think the CCG comparison one is the more telling tale of why 9 games means nothing, and never will.

Hujan - seriously?? I'm not too happy with Bo either but at least his teams haven't gone 5-7. Callahan was here 4 years - half those years we lost more games than we won. Bad comparison IMO

2007 was also a year when we played 10 bowl teams. I don't think little Bo Bleep has faced such a schedule.

Yeah, that schedule was LOADED. 4 top 20 teams too...

Jjamuss - I agree 9 wins means nothing - but its still better than having a losing record every other year.

I am not happy with Bo right now (not quite ready to say I want him fired but its getting close). However comparing Bo Pelini & Bill Callahan's overall job performance is a reach IMO. Has Bo had a few games the last 4 years where Kevin Cosgrove might as well have been the DC? Yes no arguments there

Jjamuss - I agree 9 wins means nothing - but its still better than having a losing record every other year.

I am not happy with Bo right now (not quite ready to say I want him fired but its getting close). However comparing Bo Pelini & Bill Callahan's overall job performance is a reach IMO. Has Bo had a few games the last 4 years where Kevin Cosgrove might as well have been the DC? Yes no arguments there

Honestly, they are much, much closer than you think. The major difference is that the Big 12 was at the top of the game in 2004-2007. Those Oklahoma and Texas teams were very talented, not to mention Missouri and Kansas. There's a lot of NFL players who came out of the Big 12 during those years. By contrast, the Big Ten has been absolutely atrocious during Pelini's tenure. If Callahan and Pelini traded time spans, I bet the results would have been exactly the same.

Embarrassing antics during games, blow out losses, giving up historic amounts of yards, players who seem to quit, players who seem to be more interested in sharing their feelings in pressers than showing up on the field, blue chip recruits who fail to live up to their hype, teams that feast on cupcakes and get shredded by wining programs . . . who's team am I describing? Pelini's or Callahan's?

I actually think that, objectively measured (points/yards), Pelini's blowouts have been worse than Callahan's. Thus, when you account for the difference in conference/schedules, Pelini is actually worse than Callahan.

Where is said source? He was 9-14 coming into this year. So 9-16 year to date, right? Not that I am in disagreement with removal of Bo or at the very least a staff overhaul.

I think you're right. Maybe the 5 number is teams that finished in the top 25. Not sure.

I thought it was at the time they were ranked by the AP when the game was being played. :dunno Mentioned during telecast late in the game I think.

Where is said source? He was 9-14 coming into this year. So 9-16 year to date, right? Not that I am in disagreement with removal of Bo or at the very least a staff overhaul.

I think you're right. Maybe the 5 number is teams that finished in the top 25. Not sure.

I thought it was at the time they were ranked by the AP when the game was being played. :dunno Mentioned during telecast late in the game I think.

It looks like our ranked wins are (according to huskers.com)

2013 Georgia

2012 Michigan

2011 Michigan State

2011 Penn State

2010 Okie State

2010 Missouri

2009 Missouri

2009 Oklahoma

2009 Arizona

2013 Georgia

2012 Michigan

2011 Michigan State

2011 Penn State

2010 Okie State

2010 Missouri

2009 Missouri

2009 Oklahoma

2009 Arizona

Anyone noticing a trend?

2009: 3

2010: 2

2011: 2

2012: 1

2013: 1

2014: ?

• Fire 1

Let's break it down further. I'm going to use the Massey composite rankings since they are much better than the AP, and the end of season rankings since they are more indicative of how good a team was than the current week rank (which can be hugely inaccurate earlier in the season).

Against the top 40, Bo is 16-22 with an average score of Nebraska 25, Opponent 30. Here's a breakdown of that:

vs. 31-40

Record: 6-1

Avg. Score: Nebraska 32, Opponent 17

vs. 21-30

Record: 5-4

Avg. Score: Nebraska 25, Opponent 33

vs. 11-20

Record: 4-8

Avg. Score: Nebraska 20, Opponent 29

vs. 1-10

Record: 1-9

Avg. Score: Nebraska 27, Opponent 37

• Fire 1

2013 Georgia

2012 Michigan

2011 Michigan State

2011 Penn State

2010 Okie State

2010 Missouri

2009 Missouri

2009 Oklahoma

2009 Arizona

Anyone noticing a trend?

2009: 3

2010: 2

2011: 2

2012: 1

2013: 1

2014: ?

2012's win was primarily against QB Russell Bellomy, who is one of the worst FBS quarterbacks I've seen play. 2013's was in a meaningless bowl game in which Georgia had questionable inspiration and also dropped several easy passes down the stretch.

IMO the last really good win we had was 24-3 against MSU in 2011.