Bigger than Football

I have been reading many things on here lately and it really pains me to see how worked up everyone is getting. I believe that we need a change just like most people on here. I just shake my head at how worked up some people get though. I have a son that has what they call Angelman's Syndrome. We have been going through many things with him for the last three years. It has made me reevaluate many things in my life and Husker football is one of them. I am a die hard Husker fan, but I just don't get as worked up as I used to. Here's something that I posted on Facebook a while back and I have included an article that I found and shared with my friends and family.

I try so hard not to dwell on what our lives would be like if our son was a "normal" 3 year old boy. There are times that I think about what my wife and I have maybe sacrificed with the way our lives have become with our son. I often wonder if I would be hunting, fishing, golfing more if I had more energy and felt like I could "get away" more often. Those thoughts don't last very long though. I just have to remember that we are on this earth for a short period of time in the grand scheme of things. Our son has taught me so much without even knowing about it. He has taught me extreme patience....he has taught me to find joy in the simple things, mainly because he laughs at the fact that he pulls your hat off of your head

Would our lives be less complicated without our Angel? Of course they would. I truly believe that our lives would be less focussed and maybe less family oriented without him though. I'm not saying that I would love my family any less, but I can sure as hell admit that I don't take little things for granted. The best part of my day is walking in the door from work and getting a big hug and kiss from my boys. I would like to think that I would feel the same way if we hadn't gone through everything with our son, but I am really glad that I don't have to find out.

If you are fortunate enough to have kids, or even neices and nephews, be sure you take the time to appreciate what they bring to your life. There is nothing in this world more precious than family. Appreciate yours and tell them what they mean to you every chance you get.

Here is the article that I linked with it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-seidman/on-wondering-what-your-kid-would-be-like-without-the-special-needs_b_6040960.html

The main reason that I'm posting this is to hopefully make some people remember, or maybe even realize, that getting all worked up about things you can't control is just a waste of time. I could curse God every day for "choosing" us to be in charge of raising our special needs son. That doesn't do anyone any good. I have no idea what's going to happen with Bo and company after the season is over. I think Kenny Bell should just stick to playing football and not worry so much about calling people out on Twitter. I do know one thing though, I am going to be in Lincoln on Saturday and I will sure as hell be cheering my ass off for my Huskers. The seniors deserve as much and I deserve to enjoy our last home game of the season!

• Fire 6

Nicely stated me boy. Well said. Last year living so close to Minneapolis, I had tickets for the Nebraska-Minnesota game. Had to buy a two game pack. I was not interested in going to Minny-Western llinois. Well night before the game, my wife went into labor with our 1st kid. Our hospital was 4 blocks from the stadium. Well, we lost to the Gophers 34-23, not to mention I didn't have the stones to go, but everyone was texting me on our disappointment on the loss, many if not all are Badger fans who give me crap every chance they get, but I didn't care if we won or not as I knew the birth of my first kid was WAY MORE IMPORTANT than a college football GAME.

Our son was born later that night and I forgot that the Huskers even played.

I agree with you 100%.

Go Big Red.

• Fire 3

I know my reason for obsessing over this is because it is a sweet distraction. I have issues with my kid as well, more mental trauma than health which has engulfed our lives at the moment. On top of that, I work with special needs children everyday at my job and it is quite sad to see their parents not come to visit. So all of this reaction for a football team (on my part) is really just an escape and a distraction from the real madness.

+1 sir.

God bless you guys. My prayers go out to your struggles. Congrats on child minnhusker6. Having children really puts the fact that's it's just a game into perspective. When I am coaching or my huskers lose and my gut is wrenching there is nothing better than picking up your kids and holding them. They could care less what happened. A quick but sweet reality check.

I think some of us, myself included, only appear to get all worked up over thE relatively unimportant thing that is Husker football. It really is not THAT important to me when compared to my family, work, friends, etc. Bit ching and talking football is just a distraction from vastly more important things. I assume it is like that for most people. I mean really, I couldn't care less if Pelini stayed here for 20 more years and we never beat a ranked team once. I'd probably quit watching games and coming to HB to talk about it but it sure wouldn't change my life.

Oh trust me I love talking football and enjoy hearing what everyone thinks. Hell, I've even thrown out some coaching ideas, player personnel thoughts. But thinking of it, nothing better than putting my kid's #22 Red Rex Burkhead jersey on him, turning on the big screen and listen to him say "Hc'kers" and raising his hands up for touchdowns.