Why bother being a Husker fan?

Redux

Why do I bother? That is a serious question.

Why do you make so much of your happiness dependent on what someone else does or doesn't do? THIS is an even more serious question.

Here's a viable alternative: Take up a hobby in which the results are dictated by how much you do and how well you do it. Better yet, volunteer in an area in which you have an interest, and see if you can make a difference. Spend you Saturday afternoons doing either, and take charge of your own emotional well being...no sarcasm, I'm serious.

"Hard core fan" of anything isn't healthy for anything or at any level.

Why do I bother? That is a serious question.

Why do you make so much of your happiness dependent on what someone else does or doesn't do? THIS is an even more serious question.

Here's a viable alternative: Take up a hobby in which the results are dictated by how much you do and how well you do it. Better yet, volunteer in an area in which you have an interest, and see if you can make a difference. Spend you Saturday afternoons doing either, and take charge of your own emotional well being...no sarcasm, I'm serious.

"Hard core fan" of anything isn't healthy for anything or at any level.

Being as emotionally invested as I am probably isnt the healthiest thing. Ive actually become less bitter after losses so thats a step in the right direction. More focus on my paranormal group should help sidetrack me for the next 9 months.

i think people still want to know, unless i missed it, why 2004?

Its strange, I was always a fan. But it wasn't until Nebraska winning wasn't a gauarantee that I felt the need to be as invested. Plus through high school I was WAY more into pro wrassling and backyard wrestling. I attended my first game in 2004 against Colorado. That should have been enough to scare me off for good but it didn't. The 2005 USC vs Texas game was what drew me into the grand scheme of college football.

Why do I bother? That is a serious question. Ever since I became a die hard around 2004 they have done nothing but let me down. It truly is beyond frustrating. Investing this much emotion into something you know cannot possibly meet your own personal expectations let alone the rest of a fan base.

Saturday I took my brother to his first ever game. I expected a poor turnout of fans. Nope. Even through the bullsh#t I read on here, we showed up to support like normal thankfully. I had not attended a game all year and was already feeling down about the year. Once the tunnel walk hit my brother told me how pumped he was, how he had goosebumps. That alone was worth the price of admission. During the 1st half Minnesota was in FG range and we started a block that kick chant. Magic happened as Randy got a hand on it and Gerry took it to the house. That moment...that was special. I hadn't felt that way in over a month. The level of excitement in our section coupled with how happy my brother was, just awesome.

We know how this ends. My attendance record against conference foes falls to a dismal 1-8. I was my usual pissy depressed and distraught self. Then, my brother tells my wife thank you for the ticket and what a great time he had. He then goes and buys a "Lincoln F$#@n Nebraska" shirt on the way out. It dawns one me at this point. We lost a tough game, at home. Yet the fans showed up and had a good time. This board isn't the majority. The endless threads of crap that get posted every weekend of how we aren't good enough, they don't matter. What is a fan? A fan can be that guy who won't shut up about how terrible the coach is or he can be that guy who is still finding his footing and isn't jaded and can still have a good time.

Go Cubs go.

This could only get worse if we end up playing Missery in a Bowl game at the end of the season..

Huskers on top of USA Today's Misery Index

But.... I lived through the "Osborne can't win the big one" years...Learned to appreciate him after the Solich years...Still trying to forget Calahan/Cosgrove...And still....eagerly wondering what will come next..

Dr. Phil all up in here. Sorry, I ain't changin; all about the Big Red, healthy or not.

No need to change, they already have a word for "all about the Big Red":

vicarious [vahy-kair-ee-uh s] (adj.) felt or enjoyed through imagined participation in the experience of others:

example: a vicarious thrill.

i think people still want to know, unless i missed it, why 2004?

Its strange, I was always a fan. But it wasn't until Nebraska winning wasn't a gauarantee that I felt the need to be as invested. Plus through high school I was WAY more into pro wrassling and backyard wrestling. I attended my first game in 2004 against Colorado. That should have been enough to scare me off for good but it didn't. The 2005 USC vs Texas game was what drew me into the grand scheme of college football.

Very cool, I haven't heard that reasoning before but it's very admirable.

Dr. Phil all up in here. Sorry, I ain't changin; all about the Big Red, healthy or not.

No need to change, they already have a word for "all about the Big Red":

vicarious [vahy-kair-ee-uh s] (adj.) felt or enjoyed through imagined participation in the experience of others:

example: a vicarious thrill.

Oh?

This seems like a fun game; let me try...

sanc·ti·mo·ni·ous
ˌsaNG(k)təˈmōnēəs/
adjective
derogatory
adjective: sanctimonious
  1. making a show of being morally superior to other people.
    "what happened to all the sanctimonious talk about putting his family first?"

...making a show of being morally superior to other people.

I wouldn't say "making a show of being morally superior", as much as "encouraging others to keep a healthy perspective". We all want that, right?...

For example, I can't rationally be mad at any coach from Nebraska who hasn't done anything to me or harmed me in any way...agreed?

But thanks for the kind words on being superior and stuff.