Starting Tailback?

Lucky is an insane lifter and is extremely strong. We all saw how well Ross was able to block as a running back, so its pretty easy to see that just because you are 20 pounds heavier does not make you a better blocker. You can argue about vision, technique, and other intangibles, but there is a reason that Lucky was a five star prospect, and that is measurable. Lucky is faster and stronger than Glenn. Ability to pick up the plays and know HOW to pass block is going to be far more important that size, not the mention the ability to slip out of the backfield and catch the ball, which Glenn has not shown he can do.

well, so far Glenn has been "type-cast" as a short yardage specialaist and has only been put in the game for those situations.........can't remember when he was used in a passing scheme? wonder if anyone has any stats on the kid when he played his senior year in high school? just wondering if he has any history of breaking big runs...as for Lucky (5* or not), he sure hasn't earned the spot yet, not from his play last year, so yes, the position is still wide open, IMHO.

hunter

type cast by who, us or the coaches. I gaurentee that every single runningback participates in every single package and play in practice, so they would know if he was that much better of a blocker and would have had him there instead of Lucky in passing situations. Its not like they brought the guy on campus and said ok, you go over there and lift weights, we will call you over when we practice red zone and short yardage situation...

well, short yardage situations is all I saw him cast in, or did you see him in another role? don't think he ever had a ball thrown his way? i didn't say i knew for a fact that he was a better all around player than Lucky, but for a 5* guy, Lucky spent little time on the field and Glenn had almost the same number of carries.........i think if you check back with nameless, they both had about the same production on the few plays they carried the ball.....i am just pulling for the guy 'cause i think he may be more competitive this year.......don't know how much faster Lucky is than Glenn...do you have their 40 times this spring?

hunter

i think you boys are reading into the stars a little too much. Glenn played in a much tougher league than lucky in highschool. Right now ill take Cody Glenn over Marlon Lucky. We've seen Glenn carry opposing defenders down the field to get those first downs and all Lucky has done for us is give Kansas State 4 points on November 15th.

well, short yardage situations is all I saw him cast in, or did i think if you check back with nameless, they both had about the same production on the few plays they carried the ball

I know I'm not the almighty Nameless :wacko:

Glenn 45-132-4TD 2.9 per long of 10

Lucky 43-139-0TD 3.0 per long of 11

2 catches for 3 yards long of 5

15 KO returns for 313 yards long of 57

What does this mean? I don't know.

Side note Nameless just uses other websites to get his stats. Next time try www.huskers.com. :thumbs

Lucky is faster and stronger than Glenn. Ability to pick up the plays and know HOW to pass block is going to be far more important that size, not the mention the ability to slip out of the backfield and catch the ball, which Glenn has not shown he can do.

Wow this is the craziest post i've seen on here. Lucky stronger than Glenn is INSANE. Glenn squated 570 in high school...no way did Lucky do that. I would bet that Lucky didnt bench 350 in Highschool either. Glenn did those in high school and had hardly anyone to work out with because he was stronger than everyone. Sometimes had to have more than one spotter for coaches to let him lift. Trust me...i've seen it.

I remember this past year when Glenn went to Nebraska and worked out...ran...lifted weights. Also remember Lucky showing up for a few days...couldnt take it and went home. That work ethic if perfect example of whose going to start. Glenn will out work anyone he needs to.

Also you said that Glenn hasnt shown the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield...since when was he given a shot to...running up the gut isnt exactly a chance. Also...did Lucky show that he can do it?? I saw him get passes thrown to him...also saw them hit the ground.

I'm downing Lucky because obviously he is a good athlete but he is not stronger than Glenn...might be faster but I wouldnt say by much. And I think someone asked for the 40 times....neither one ran their 40. Lucky had surgery and Glenn wasnt running cause of tweaked hamstring.

Glenn will start this year in my opinion, and if he's used in a short yardage game only like this past year...it will be a complete waste.

from our own website http://www.huskerboard.com/2005_husker_rec...ecruiting#lucky

Lucky 40 yd dash- 4.44

Glenn 40 yd dash- 4.61

Lucky ranked in the top ten at the San Diego Nike Camp, which is the premeir one in California, which is one of the premeir recruiting zones in all four events, regardless of position, including the 40 yd dash, BENCH PRESS, vertical leap, and shuttle run, and this is regardless of position. He benched more that almost all of the lineman, linebackers, everyone, so dont tell me he isnt strong.

As far as strength of competition, while Glenn did play in Texas, he also played in class 3A, where as Lucky played in a Los Angeles league.

The point is that as far as measureables go, Lucky has an advantage, but I specifically said that intangibles are going to decide who starts, and did not count out Glenn, or Wilson for that matter. Trust me, there are high school football player in California who bench over 350, and Marlon is one of them.