Gas prices....larger impact

LINK

I believe this is huge and it really isn't getting much play in what media I have at least been reading and listening to.

I firmly believe that the spike in gas prices in 06-07 was the pin that pricked the balloon that was the mortgage mess we all witnessed. Way too many people were maxed out in mortgages they shouldn't have had. Their budgets were maxed to the penny. All of a sudden gas prices spike, they are driving around huge gas guzzling SUVs and their bank accounts were milked dry. They couldn't pay their bills and the entire mess collapsed.

However, I believe this is an issue that the government has played very very very well. OPEC was milking us for everything. We had absolutely no control over the price of what we were paying for oil. Sooo....we took control. We told the world (and showed them) we are willing to open up drilling on our own land if that is the way you are going to play. We did that. OPEC didn't like it and they started dumping oil on the market to get the price down lower than what it needs to be to make the new drilling technologies profitable.

GREAT.....keep it there and we won't use our resources. Spike it again long term and we start drilling again. Suck it OPEC!!!!!!

MEANWHILE....we need to be developing more and more alternative resources away from oil and increasing fuel mileage...thus....still decreasing our usage.

Well played Americans....well played.

Also, the additional money in American's bank accounts will help the US in many many ways.

And we saw some significant increases in vehicle fuel efficiency . . . driven largely by the White House led push to require greater efficiency after our standards had stagnated for ~20 years.

But yeah . . . OPEC is nervous. This is a good thing. Even better if they increase production to the point where our dirtier reserves are not economically viable. (<----At least in the short term. They aren't going anywhere . . . save them for when they are necessary.)

• Fire 2