Top Coaches Before They Were Top Coaches - Why Riley Deserves A Chance

Landlord

He's just never had the keys to a program like Nebraska.

Neither have I. In both cases, do you suppose there's a reason for it?

In one case, it's because he was offered 3 times and turned it down.

How about yours?

He was offered by Bama 12 years ago. It's not like he's done much since then.

The first post applies to all coaches who are unsuccessful and moving to a bigger program. The coaches you listed are the exception. There's a reason we don't talk about the boatload of coaches that aren't listed...

I'll give the guy a chance, but I don't expect a change in the on field product. The media/fan relationship with the program will no doubt improve, but considering his lack of accomplishments, losing to FCS schools, and lack of success on the recruiting trail, I'll chalk this one up to an unlikely candidate to join the guys on your first post.

If he manages to hire coordinators that help recruiting, then I'll be optimistic. For now, however, I'm not a fan of the hiring.

I would say probably bad resume, inneffective networking, or both usually explain most good candidates being overlooked.

Is Riley a good candidate? Sure... Is he the right candidate for NU? Time will tell...

In one case, it's because he was offered 3 times and turned it down.

How about yours?

He was offered by Bama 12 years ago. It's not like he's done much since then.

The first post applies to all coaches who are unsuccessful and moving to a bigger program. The coaches you listed are the exception. There's a reason we don't talk about the boatload of coaches that aren't listed...

I'll give the guy a chance, but I don't expect a change in the on field product. The media/fan relationship with the program will no doubt improve, but considering his lack of accomplishments, losing to FCS schools, and lack of success on the recruiting trail, I'll chalk this one up to an unlikely candidate to join the guys on your first post.

If he manages to hire coordinators that help recruiting, then I'll be optimistic. For now, however, I'm not a fan of the hiring.

Pretty sure USC offered him last year too before going with Sarkisian